The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2005, 03:09 PM   #1
bubba2

Home defense shotgun choice

I am getting ready to buy a shotgun for home defense. I have researched and I found the Remington 870P max. It is expensive but it has what I want on it and it seems like I will end up spending that much or more buying a regular police shotgun and adding on to it. Does anyone here have any experience with the Remington 870P max? Does anyone have any suggestions or other shotguns to choose? I realize they are loaded questions but I am just trying to find other perspectives. I am relatively new to shotguns I shot clay pigeons when I was growing up with a double barrell shotgun but I have not shot one in quite a while.
Old February 15, 2005, 04:56 PM   #2
VirgilCaine

Remington 870's are always a good choice. You may wanna look at the winchester 1300 defenders, or the mossberg persuader as a comparison. All have up and down sides to them. i like the position of the saftey on the mossbergs, but they tend to rattle and make noise. I like 870's but the saftey is in a bad spot for me. I keep a 1300 defender next to my bed. I sleep pretty good most nights.
Old February 15, 2005, 05:18 PM   #3
Rojoe67

I don't want to change your mind but have you thought of a coach gun side by side......short barrel easy to handle ?

It all depends on how you feel and what you feel your needing.... Remington now offers Spartan side by sides and over and unders too. I think they are economy priced guns. I think they are built in Russia?

As I stated above, not trying to change your mind just offer an idea besides a pump...

Good luck what ever you pick.........train, practice and survive
Old February 15, 2005, 06:58 PM   #4
LAkid

I purchased the 870 straight blk synthetic stock 18" barrel/8shot ... but the other night when I thought there was trouble near I grabbed my coach gun and did a full 180 in the hall way...try that with another shotgun you will defenitely scrap the walls...and my glock in my waist
Old February 15, 2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

The 870P Max is just the 870 Police model with a full load of accessories.

The Remington 870P is THE American police shotgun.
Some where OVER 95% of all American law enforcement agencies use the 870.

The reason for this is the 870's 55 year history of being durable enough to take the abusive treatment police guns get, and still keep working.

I had a friend who had been the armorer for a large police department.
He joked that his 870 repair parts inventory would fit into a shoe box, with "enough room left over for a burger and fries".

Although there are other good shotguns, the 870 Police is at the top of the list, and you just can't go wrong with one.

When more than 95% of people are using something BY CHOICE, you have to figure they KNOW something.

If you buy something else you will "probably" be pleased with it.

Buy an 870 Police and you WILL be well pleased.
It's the top-of-the-line in defense shotguns.
Old February 15, 2005, 10:08 PM   #6
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Remington 12 gauge 870 Marine Magnum

Best Wishes,
Old February 15, 2005, 11:23 PM   #7
rellascout

I second the 870 Police

I have an 870 Police model with 18" barrel. It has great feel. Came with a Davis synthetic speedfeed stock. All the home defense shot gun I will ever need. You can get them NIB for around $400 and used even cheaper. Get one of the basic models and then once you put a thousand rounds through it accessories. The 870P Max overpriced.

Rellascout
Old February 16, 2005, 01:26 AM   #8
bubba2

I appreciate having your opinions and perspectives on the matter. I do believe I am going to go with the 870P but probably not in the max configuration. One of the items that I want to have is a tac light like the surefire that replaces the forend and has a flashlight on it. How important do you feel it is to have a light on the gun? I have a surefire flashlight that I can pull out with my handguns but I cannot do the same with the shotgun. I guess that is why I was considering the max because it seemed to throw a lot of options at a reduced price than buying them seperately. When buying a firearm I try to think of every possibility that will happen so a lights out condition is something that concerns me, the most important part of a weapon is the person wielding it so no matter what I get I will practice until it becomes muscle memory.
Old February 16, 2005, 02:22 AM   #9
yorec

I just went through the same process and chose the Remington 11-87 with an 8 shot tube, smooth cylinder bore, and rifle sights...

Just me, but had I chose a pump gun it probably would have been an 870 in the same configuration. Good choice.

But I don't think 95% of all PDs use the 870. It is deffinately a majority, but not that one sided. Mossbergs have a large portion of the market and Benelli's and Winchesters are eating up quite a bit. Last few class I've been too seemed like that was the way of it with the 870 share being around 60% or so. (95% seems like a bit of an exaggeration)

Need a weapon light for target identification. In HD situations, what if the power's out - don't wanna shoot at shadows unless you know just who's shadow it be!
Old February 16, 2005, 10:29 AM   #10
rellascout

Light mounts are cheap and can be put on any shotgun. It can be done cheaper than buying it preconfigured.

Rellascout
Old February 16, 2005, 06:56 PM   #11
bubba2

I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to help me out I went and put the money down for the 870P order #4421. It has the extension and rifle sights and it is much cheaper than the 870P max. After hearing what everyone had to say I figure I will start out with the basic shotgun, practice until it feels natural than add on whatever I feel necessary after I have some experience. I will take the money I would have spent on the max and put it towards ammunition to practice with. Thank you for your time.
Old February 16, 2005, 07:14 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

Some advice when you get your new Police gun.

Take a look around Remington's LW web site under the FAQ's and you find info on what to do BEFORE using the gun.

In a nut shell, Remington sprays the Police guns with hot cosmoline as a preservative during shipping and storage.

They say this is for storage ONLY and should be cleaned off before using the gun, or it may rust.

They recommend spraying the gun dripping wet with Rem-Oil and allowing it to soak for 1/2 hour or so, then wipe the excess off and put it in service.

I used CLP Breakfree on mine, and I did get some brown cosmoline off.

Enjoy your new Police gun, you've bought the Cadillac of HD pump shotguns.
Old February 23, 2005, 09:24 PM   #13
guardsman012301

The Remington 870 Marine Magnum is a good choice.
Old February 23, 2005, 10:51 PM   #14
Wraith

Mossberg 590.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old February 24, 2005, 08:48 AM   #15
Brobee

Hello...

The 870 Police is an excellent choice (and is my choice as well!)...that being said, IMHO any of the remington offerings are good. Also good would be a mossberg (I have recently posted a comparative review on the shotguns page at www.tacticalshotgun.ca). I hope this helps...

Take care,

Brobee
Old February 24, 2005, 12:09 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

An 870 is a good choice for most things shotgun, but....

The critical part of the equation is the shooter. BA/UU/R until you're not the weakest link.....
Old February 24, 2005, 05:11 PM   #17
Sven Hoek

Does anyone know whether or not the Remington 870 Marine Magnum has the plastic trigger group? I've been thinking about getting one of these but I'm not interested in plastic parts. Thank you in advance.
Old February 24, 2005, 05:33 PM   #18
WillBrayjr

Aircraft grade aluminum, I can assure you they're not plastic!
Old February 24, 2005, 05:40 PM   #19
Sven Hoek

Perfect! Thank you very much WillBrayjr!
Old February 24, 2005, 05:43 PM   #20
WillBrayjr

No problem!
Old February 26, 2005, 08:28 PM   #21
springfieldmaniac

The trigger groups that are not plastic are MIM Powdered metal injection process, an aluminum alloy mixture.
Old February 26, 2005, 10:13 PM   #22
JackHurst99

if you are talking about home defense - there is nothing scarier than looking at the end of a double barrell pointed your way. (12 gauge). and it will knock down whatever you shoot at close range - and you still have the other barrell left.
Old February 26, 2005, 10:58 PM   #23
abelew

I don't own any shotguns at the moment, but I have always been pleased with remingtons 870 line. When I was living at home, my father and I got into skeet shooting, and went bird hunting a few times. He picked up an 870 first, then after a while, he got a great deal on a browning pump. While the browning's overall finish was much better (the 870 was the basic gun, and the browning was top of the line), the 870 never failed to perform. It felt solid, and other than the quality of the stock and finish, they performed the same. I actually liked shooting the 870 better, because I wasn't so worried about buggering it up, being my father's guns. Would I like to have the browning? Yep, but not for home defense. For home defense, I would choose the 870, hands down. I have been trying to convince myself to pick up the 870 w/ 8 shot extention, but just think, at this moment, that it would be overkill. If a BG gets through bushes with big thorns, 2 young agile large breed dogs (70lb), and my USP 45f loaded with Cor-bon +p (military experience), then they are just determined to be stupid (I would have ran after getting stuck and barked at, let alone bitten by 2 dogs, and shot at).
Old May 28, 2005, 06:30 AM   #24
dswindle

I only have two shotguns--the Remington 12-gauge Model 870 Marine Magnum and the Mossberg 12-gauge Model 500 Mariner. While I like both shotguns, I give the edge to the 870 Marine Magnum. It is an extremely rugged shotgun. Having said that, for a home defense shotgun, either of these shotguns will more than suit your needs. The Mossberg has an aluminum receiver, and, technically, not as rugged as the steel receiver of the Model 870, but that will not affect its shooting ability. Both are completely reliable shotguns. My first choice for home defense would be a Model 870 and my second choice would be a Mossberg Mariner. The 870 will last you all of your lifetime and that of your children.
Old May 28, 2005, 07:44 AM   #25
joab

I have an 870, 1300, an old '69 or so Savage, 1897 repro, and a 1930s Warner SxS all with 18' barrels

Of all of them I prefer the sawed off SxS. It's small manuverable and if necessary I can one hand it like a pistol.

The 1300 is much smoother and quicker than the 870

The Savage fits me and my hand better than the 870

The Norinco is coarse as a cob and generally not suited for home defense for many reasons.

Over all, of the pumps , I prefer the Remington better balance with the extended mag tougher than nails and blacktac scary

I originally bought the used but like like and seemingly unfired 1300 for $139 with the intention of blacktac ing it but soon found that it was cheaper to buy the already semi tactical Remington used but again like new for $245 and put a few add ons later.

Last edited by joab; May 29, 2005 at 09:19 PM.