The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Micro man

Small rifle primers

Went to my local Cabelas to pick up a box of 1000 SR primers and while they had many other types of primers they had no Small rifle ones. I also tried Jays ( a large outdoor store) here in Michigan with same result. I wanted them to reload 223 over the long Michigan winter coming up. I was wondering if anyone else had trouble finding them in stores.
I did try to order them online from Cabelas and pick them up at the store to avoid the haz mat fee and shipping, but they said they had to be shipped to my address.
Micro man
Old November 4, 2016, 05:57 AM   #2
Camnus

I ordered some primers on sale from Cabela's last week, it was free shipping, but $20 for hazmat. ordering 10k worth of primers makes it easier to factor in the hazmat fee. Have any reloading friends to split an order?
Old November 4, 2016, 11:07 AM   #3
rebs

I just looked at Cabelas primers and their prices are considerably higher than what I buy them for at a LGS
Old November 4, 2016, 12:08 PM   #4
Micro man

Unfortunately none of my friends are into reloading,although my brother is thinking about taking it up. I agree that Cabelas is on the high side but not many options in my area.
I don't understand why they won't let me order on line and pick them up at their store, as they do with other stuff.
Old November 4, 2016, 12:44 PM   #5
MarkGlazer

Cabela's has S&B small rifle primers in stock, on-line and they are less than my LGS here in Atlanta. Yes, you have to pay the evil HazMat.

By the way, if you cross-reference your purchase by looking at GunBot.Net as a barometer, you'll find that the Cabelas' price is the best in the market right now.
Old November 4, 2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Sevens

When you order from Cabela's online and pick up at store... Cabela's ships that order from Wheeling, WV to your store for you to pick up. Cabela's would STILL have to ship those as a hazmat simply to get them from Wheeling, WV to your store in Michigan. They incur that hazmat fee whether it goes to your house or the retail store.

This is likely why they simply don't allow ship to store on primers.

And it's not like Cabela's online and ship to store is simply yanking an item off the shelf at a retail location... if that were the process, folks would walk up & down the aisle with their smart phone and pay less. This is not how a brick & mortar retail store works, sorry to say.

Find a local discussion forum where you can team up with other handloaders in a, say, 50-mile radius and do a group buy from a seller that smokes Cabela's in pricing. A great idea for a forum such as this is a state-level grass roots political pro-gun forum. Meet like-minded people and pool money together and get the best deal.
Old November 4, 2016, 09:57 PM   #7
Colorado Redneck

Powder Valley has Winchester small rifle primers in stock. Buy a few thousand, since it is election year.
Old November 6, 2016, 10:28 AM   #8
Chainsaw.

They are being bought up here too. At the gun show last week some vendors were starting to gouge, one guy even had boxes marked at $50, though Im pretty sure he sold none.
Old November 6, 2016, 12:15 PM   #9
jag2

A few years ago I stumbled across some Bullseye online at Basspro and was able to have it shipped to a local store, took about 3 or 4 days. No shipping or haz fee at all. My guess was they ship it on their own trucks along with what ever else that store ordered. I even had the order taker I was talking to confirm it with a supervisor. Worked fine.
Old November 6, 2016, 08:25 PM   #10
Micro man

Thanks Sevens for explaining the process. I thought they could just add my order to the next one heading to Michigan. Oh well guess I'll just have to keep checking the stores.
Micro man
Old November 7, 2016, 01:16 AM   #11
Bravo1

Plenty of S&B and CCI Small Rifle primers available at the local Cabelas in the Seattle area. I was in Minnesota and they had lots of every primer available. I'm probably going to stock up as well since primers are the one item in reloading that you can't make on your own or reuse.
Old November 7, 2016, 01:03 PM   #12
Maligator

Microman, I was just at the Cabelas in Dundee last night and they had small rifle primers on one of the endcaps near the registers in back by the gun wall. I was actually a little disappointed in the selection in both primers and powder but I guess with the election being tomorrow I can understand it.

Just give them a call to ensure they still have them because it was crazy busy yesterday with the friends and family discount sale going on.
Old November 7, 2016, 04:40 PM   #13
Micro man

Maligator- thanks for the intell !
Micro man
Old November 7, 2016, 05:53 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGlazer
By the way, if you cross-reference your purchase by looking at GunBot.Net as a barometer, you'll find that the Cabelas' price is the best in the market right now.
Cabela's is listing CCI 400 primers at $32.99/1000. Powder Valley has them at $28/1000.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 7, 2016, 07:50 PM   #15
Average Joe

Go back, I was there on Friday and they were sold out, the manager said they had a delivery coming on Saturday and they would have more, sure enough the shelf was full when I went back on Monday.
Old November 9, 2016, 10:52 PM   #16
FiveInADime

As an aside in this thread, S&B small-rifle primers have been excellent for me. I think I paid $24/1k when I bought them. I wouldn't pass them up if I needed some. I'm pretty much stocked for life with only my Savage bolt-gun consuming them. Not much interested in a AR/semi 223/556.
Old November 10, 2016, 01:15 AM   #17
chris in va

Just use CCI small pistol magnum if those are available.