The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 26, 2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Coltman 77

Colt SAA -- Finally Got One!

Stopped in my local gunshop Monday morning and discovered a very lightly used early 70's .45 Colt SAA.

I've wanted one since I was a kid, watching Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Rawhide.

Can't wait to get to the range with her!

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old October 26, 2011, 04:58 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

Now you've done it,,,

Have fun with it my friend,,,
Soon you'll be channeling your inner Paladin.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 26, 2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Crazy88Fingers

Just so you know, range officers don't appreciate gun twirling of any kind. Apparently even if you're really good at it.
Old October 26, 2011, 08:59 PM   #4
shafter

Go the Matt Dillon route and skip the twirling. . . .

Nice gun though. I love SAA's and would like to get one in your barrel length. Get some good wooden grips on it soon. It looks a little unnatural in black plastic.
Old October 26, 2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Model-P

Au contraire, it looks perfect with those stocks; they are original Colt since the 1880s. If you want to replace the stocks, put on some nice ivory that is befitting a fine Colt, but keep the original stocks. Congratulations!
Old October 26, 2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Mr. James

I'm with Model-P. It's a gem as is. Dammit, now I want one.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old October 26, 2011, 10:48 PM   #7
rclark

Drooling..... I like. Partial to wood myself. I would like one myself someday!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 26, 2011, 10:54 PM   #8
yournodaisy

Congrats!! I got my first SAA colt a few months back. Now all ya need to do is get a western holster from Wmbrownholsters in tombstone Az. An Ike clanton or Matt Dillon would be perfect for that gun.. JMHO..nice going.
Old October 26, 2011, 10:57 PM   #9
9mm

I always wanted to learn how to shoot SAA from the hip. I would use a 22lr SAA to save on $$$$$$$$$
Old October 27, 2011, 04:39 AM   #10
CajunBass

That's a fine looking Colt you got there. I'm going to have to break down and get me one of those one of these days. I like a little shorter barrel myself, but yours is probably more "authentic" shall we say.

Quote:
I always wanted to learn how to shoot SAA from the hip. I would use a 22lr SAA to save on $$$$$$$$$
Then Colt had something for you too, "back in the day."

Frontier Scout from 1967.

New Frontier from 1971 (IIRC).

John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 27, 2011, 06:49 AM   #11
highpower3006

Congratulations!

While the SAA clones may be nice enough guns, there is nothing like holding a real Colt in your hands. You'll have a blast shooting that piece of history.

I wanted one for years, and finally the stars aligned right and I had the money in my pocket when I ran across one for sale.

Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40) with the blackpowder frame and bullseye ejector

Old October 27, 2011, 07:00 AM   #12
Seventhsword

Very nice...
Old October 27, 2011, 08:44 AM   #13
Straitshot

Love those single actions

Coltman 77 that is truly a nice one! Like you guys I really like Colt single actions and have owned a few of them. There is something said for owning an original especially if it is a first or second generation.

Last edited by Straitshot; October 28, 2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old October 27, 2011, 11:29 AM   #14
gak

Early 70s would make it a 2nd Gen - hard to get any better than that! Despite the common "six shooter" term, if you haven't owned a Colt SAA-patterned gun before, remember load only five (load one, skip one, load four)...and enjoy!

Also, +1 need to get a Matt Dillon rig for that 7-1/2"! (lots of makers, including the above mentioned) --or you can go the Eastwood route and put your 7.5's in a 5.5" holster (amusingly in Good, Bad and Ugly--1851 Navy, and High Plains Drifter - Colt SAA), the same one he used all the way from the last half of Rawhide, through the Spaghettis on to at least a few movies following like Hang 'Em High, Two Mules..High Plains, etc. He just liked his rig regardless of what length gun!

Last edited by gak; October 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old October 28, 2011, 12:38 AM   #15
Ideal Tool

Hello, Coltman77. In addition to what Gak said..If this is your first S.A.A., always pull hammer back to full cock before letting it down ( never from 1/2 cock) as bolt will score cylinder.
Old October 28, 2011, 05:27 PM   #16
Coltman 77

Many thanks to all of you for the advice and the kind replies.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old October 28, 2011, 05:44 PM   #17
Shotgun693

I hope to get a third one after Christmas. I want a nickel BP frame, .45 5 1/2" barrel.

When you're shooting a match and someone walks up and says, 'That's a REAL Colt isn't it?', that kinda makes ya feel good all over.
Old October 29, 2011, 06:56 AM   #18
bds32

Congrats. I got one back in August, a 2nd Generation .357 with the 5 1/2 barrel. Very beautiful. Shoots very nice.
Old October 29, 2011, 07:21 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Cajun Bass,

Unless you do weights, if you want a SA .22, go with the Ruger Single Six or the old Colt scout. Not many folks have actually handled a full size SAA in .22, but I can tell you it is not something the average guy will play fast draw with. When you take that much steel, and drill that small a hole, you have a LOT of metal left and it is heavy!

Jim
Old October 29, 2011, 07:30 PM   #20
Sarge

Beautiful sixgun, Coltman. Congratulations!
Old October 30, 2011, 01:47 AM   #21
nfafan

" Au contraire, it looks perfect with those stocks; they are original Colt since the 1880s. If you want to replace the stocks, put on some nice ivory that is befitting a fine Colt, but keep the original stocks. Congratulations! "

As for the black plastic - was plastic and plastic-molding technology even around in the late 1800's??
Old October 30, 2011, 11:43 AM   #22
Model-P

Quote:
As for the black plastic - was plastic and plastic-molding technology even around in the late 1800's??
No.
Old October 30, 2011, 11:50 AM   #23
Model-P

Quote:
No.
That said, SAA stocks were made from hard rubber beginning around 1882 with that eagle design. The eagle was dropped about 1895. Around 1970 the hard rubber was changed to a plastic material, and about the same time the eagle was reintroduced. So, there it is.
Old October 30, 2011, 08:59 PM   #24
gak

Here's a 1st Gen Colt with the eagle "hard rubber"--commonly called "gutta percha"--grips..

Look familiar? On close inspection, there are apparently subtle differences in the design and, not viewable from the side of course, the 1st Gen's grip panels are slimmer. There are also minor but important gripframe shape differences which preclude (at least "normally") fitting 2nd and 3rd Gen grips on 1st Gens and vice versa.
This one, by the way, lookslike it may have been reblued at some pointwith maybe even a 2nd Gen cylinder. Hard to tell from the photo, but I don't see much of a "blackpowder" bevel or chamfer on the front edges/corners of the cylinder flutes, which would have been fairly pronounced in the 1880s and early 90s.

Last edited by gak; October 30, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old October 31, 2011, 09:25 AM   #25
CajunBass

Quote:
Hi, Cajun Bass,

Unless you do weights, if you want a SA .22, go with the Ruger Single Six or the old Colt scout. Not many folks have actually handled a full size SAA in .22, but I can tell you it is not something the average guy will play fast draw with. When you take that much steel, and drill that small a hole, you have a LOT of metal left and it is heavy!

Jim
I'm afraid I don't understand your point. The Colt 22's aren't full sized. They're about 7/8 th scale or so. About the same size as a Ruger Single-Six (of which I have a few of.) The Frontier Scout Colt has an aluminum frame, so it's even lighter than a SS. The New Frontier has a steel frame so it's about the same weight as a Ruger.
John 3:16 (NKJV)