The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2000, 12:49 AM   #1
Jamie Young

I've been using Unique for my .45 on a single stage press. My powder measure does not accurately drop the powder I assume because its flake. Can anyone in here give me another good Powder that works in a powder measurer? When they use the Term BALL POWDER that works in a Powder Measurer too right?
Old December 2, 2000, 01:35 AM   #2
MADISON

I also use Unique

I use Unique for .45ACP. Eleven years ago I bought a progressive and had all kinds of trouble with loads not having powder. THE RANGE ROD GOT A LOT OF USE.

I went to the LEE DISK POWDER MEASURE. It is more accurate than most others. If you get the "powder through the die, die, it should drop more accurate loads, onnly when there is a case there to be charged.

Somewhere between 5.0 and 5.6 grains of W-231 [Check your reloading manual] works well for me.
Old December 2, 2000, 11:22 AM   #3
Socom18E

I have used Bulls for my 9 40 and 45 in my dillon 550b, also started using titegroup...both of these meter very well IMHO and charges are very close.....

Hope this helps,
Socom18E
Old December 2, 2000, 11:24 AM   #4
viper45

I use bullseye and power pistol exclusively with my autodisk, and it works just fine, no real problems.
Old December 2, 2000, 12:20 PM   #5
Kenneth L. Walters

I've stuck with Unique despite its minor problems because I can use it to load virtually everything I'm interested. That being true I could buy it in large quanities and, I think, save money.
Old December 2, 2000, 06:04 PM   #6
zot

Winchester 231, Hodgdon HS-6, both ball powders that I use
with my uni-flow powder measure, I get real accurate throws with these powders, I used to use anything I could lay my hands on, but found the flake powders would hang the uni-flow up after 300 rounds, I have a piggy-back 5 stage on a
Rock-chucker press. maybe its just me, but ball is better.
Old December 2, 2000, 06:10 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

Hodgdon Universal Clays is an easy-metering clean-burning alternative to Unique (and you won't have to work up a new load, either. Just back off your Universal Clays load .1g from your 'old' Unique load).

Or you can switch to W231, the ideal powder for the 45ACP and powder measures.
Old December 2, 2000, 07:28 PM   #8
HankL

I am at a loss here guys. I have used Unique and Bullseye which are both flake powders for ever and not had these problems. Most rounds, both 45ACP and 38/357 have been loaded on a Dillon RL450 with a sliding bar powder measure and some single stage stuff using a RCBS Uniflow. Just for the heck of it I just put some Unique in the RCBS and threw 50 4.5 grain loads in a row with the rifle drum installed.
All charges were within a few tenths one way or the other and no zero charges. Soda Pop, what measure do you use that gives you these problems? There are cleaner powders for 45 ACP but I would say that Unique is still a good choice unless you have the powder measure from heck.
Old December 2, 2000, 09:05 PM   #9
Jamie Young

Hank- I'm using a Lee Anniversary kit and I'm not sure exactly what Powder Measure I have. I bought it several years ago. I use Hercules Reloader 7 for .223 and don't have problems with that. But I've been trying to use 7.4gr of Unique and its all over the place. I am going to get a Progressive press and was wondering if Unique is a problem with Powder Measures. I think maybe I have a crappy Powder measure. If I get a Dillon or RCBS Press maybe it will come with a better measure.
Old December 3, 2000, 12:45 PM   #10
johnwill

I use WW231 for my .45ACP loads with my Dillon, and I've never had any problems with the powder measure. I also recommend getting the new powder measure linkage from Dillon for older presses. it has a positive interlock to avoid the possibility of a double charge, and it's only $10 for the upgrade kit. Their new presses started coming with this linkage sometime in 1998, but both of my powder measures were considerably older than that, so I picked up the update kits.
Old December 3, 2000, 01:56 PM   #11
alan

powder charge accuracy

SodaPop:

How do you spell "accuracy". Unique is slower than say Bullseye, therefore small variations in charge weight using Unique are less critical than they might be with other powders.

I have used Unique, among others, in several calibers, 45ACP, 9mm Luger, and Makerov, 38 Special without any problems. Undoubtedly, "ball powders" measure more uniformly than most other types of powder, but Unique is still a good number.

By the way, "operator technique" is always a factor to consider.
Old December 3, 2000, 04:22 PM   #12
mackie

I use W-231 in my Dillon 550 with no problems. I have used bullseye early on and no problems with that either.
Old December 3, 2000, 04:41 PM   #13
Jamie Young

Alan when I was getting measurement that were all over the place. I just put them on the scale to see if they were close to 7.4 and they were so inconsistent I had to check every load. They were tipping the scale, sometimes they were perfect and sometimes under. I don't know what I could be doing that would affect this? Got any suggestions? I've cleaned it out but I can't think of anything else.
Old December 3, 2000, 10:18 PM   #14
alan

powder charges

SodaPop:

When I used a single stage press, it was the old RCBS Jr. Press, I used a Belding and Mull measure. I found, with just about ANY propellant I was using at the time, that charges were more consistent when the "head of powder" was consistant.

I accomlished this as follows. After filling the measures hopper almost full, I would stick an aluminum funnel into the hopper, and fill it with powder. Wnehever the level, in the funnel dropped close to the bottom of the funnels cone, I would refill it. In this way, the "head of powder" on the metering chamber, a separate implement, was more constant. Actually, the B & M measure had a "double chamber". The main hopper fed a small fixed volume chamber, which in turn fed a moveable, adjustable chamber.

This way, I was able to get consistant charges with the powders I used, which ran the gamit from 231 and WC846, they being ball powders, through Unique and Red Dot, they being flake powders, to and including 4895,4350 and 3031, these last being extruded stick type powders (rifle powders).

Try operating whichever measure you are using in a uniform and consistent manner. If you choose to slam the operating lever (not usually recommended)do that ALL THE TIME. If you move the operating lever of handle in a smooth, gentle manner, do it that way, ALL THE TIME. Consistent operation is the key to uniformity, within the limits imposed by the type of powder one uses. Ball or spherical powders meter more uniformly than any of the others. That's life.

Silly question: you do have your scale correctly set up, don't you?
Old December 4, 2000, 04:46 PM   #15
Reg

solution for powder charge fluctuations

At one point in the past, I was using a Lee Pro Auto Disk and getting big fluctuations in each load. (I can't remember what powder now, but it just may have been Unique??)
My solution was to simply fabricate my own little baffle to put into the powder hopper. I just took a cap off of some plastic jug and cut pieces out of the sides. The end result was that the top of the cap looked like it was supported by several little 'legs'. Drop this into the powder hopper with the legs pointing down, and whaaala... a custom baffle.
This was the only time I've ever had problems with a Lee disk-type powder measure, but it works like a charm now. Never varies more than 1/10th of a grain. I now use the baffle for every type of powder... can't hurt.

...update:
- I just checked my reloading spreadsheet, and it was Unique that gave me big fluctuations. I am willing to bet that if you try the baffle-thingy, your problems may disappear.