The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 12, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1
noahlewis

borrowing a gun

Does anyone know if there is any problem bringing someone elses handgun on a flight to another state?. Does anyone check the ownership of the firearm?. Is it illegal?.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
CWPinSC

It's still a gun in your possession - doesn't matter if you own it or someone else does. Better check the laws pertaining to transporting a handgun in both states and with the airline.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:27 PM   #3
hoytinak

Check your state/local laws...perfectly legal in TX if the person you loan it to is legal to own one their self.

Edit: I misread the part about another state....that'll prolly have to get transfered through a local FFL....not sure though.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:32 PM   #4
noahlewis

no problem between states or the airline gun-wise
Old July 12, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

In some areas, persons checking a handgun on a plane have been asked to show their registration card. If there is no registration in your state, or in the destination state, there should be no problem.

Jim
Old July 12, 2009, 07:38 PM   #6
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

The ATF is not allowed to keep a registry of who owns what guns. I don't believe this pertains to NFA items but the ATF has no idea what handguns you may or not own. The only way for them to find out is to physically go to the FFL that sold you a gun and pull his books. Some states does have "registries" of what guns you own but that is a state by state issue. And the question becomes, if you are carrying a gun that you do not own (legally carrying it, locked, in a case, on your person with a CCW, etc) is anyone going to query your state registry to find out if it is your gun? How are they going to access this database? If they are out of your state, they are not going to care. The worst they may do is check it against a stolen gun database.

You should check you own states laws on gun registry but aside from that, if you can legally own a gun I'm not sure how they are going to prove it is not your gun.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:41 PM   #7
noahlewis

CT to AK
I don't believe I have any registration cards, just a pistol permit
Old July 12, 2009, 08:14 PM   #8
1-UP

As I understand it, in Michigan it's a no-no to borrow somebody's pistol without the owner being present.

Could be wrong, but I seem to remember coming across that while familiarizing myself with the local laws.
Old July 12, 2009, 09:08 PM   #9
StiveC2007

I have a simliar question and I don't want to start a thread but would it be ok for a say a buddy of mine to bring my father's handgun with his permission to the range when we go. My friend also a class A non restricted LTC license

my bad for hijacking the thread
Old July 12, 2009, 09:13 PM   #10
maustypsu

Don't trust posts

This is state specific and you need to read your state laws or check with a lawyer, sheriff, etc.

In NC for instance there are strict limits on the transfer of possession of a pistol. Ownership means little.

Federal law will come into play after that. There is a provision that you are allowed to carry a firearm from a place where you have the right to possess it to a place where you have the right to possess it.

But you should believe what I've said as much as what anyone else said. Basically, I'm suggesting that you look it up or speak to someone in your state who knows.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:07 AM   #11
Steeler Fan

Quote:
In some areas, persons checking a handgun on a plane have been asked to show their registration card.
That only happens in Nanny States where you have gun registration. The Free States don't require registration.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:17 AM   #12
Skans

I don't loan out any of my guns unless I'm present. Has nothing to do with what the law says. Here's my reasoning:

1. Most of the time, it's people who have very little to no experience with guns that want to borrow a gun - those are the last people I want to loan a gun to. They really need to rent the gun at a range that is equiped to deal with non-gun owners or they need to purchase a gun and own the responsiblity that comes along with it.

2. My guns are generally expensive and are not insured. If they get lost, dinged, scratched, or damaged, and the borrower doesn't voluntarily pay whatever it takes to make it right, I lost not only a gun, but also a friend. Some have suffered minor dings and scratches when I lend them to someone who is shooting right beside me - at least I can control that a little.

3. If someone wants a gun, then all they need to do is buy one. There are good rifles that can be purchased in the $100 range and good used pistols that can be purchased in the $300 range. If they can afford a cheap lawnmower and a weed eater, they can afford to buy their own gun. Plus, Gunowners only increase in numbers when someone goes out and buys a gun for the first time.

4. There are just some things a man doesn't lend out to others: underwear, his boots, his motorcycle, his wife and his guns.
Old July 13, 2009, 01:49 PM   #13
noahlewis

Skans-The question was not can I borrow your gun. And although I can understand your reasoning, it doesn't pertain to this discussion.
A good friend wouldn't intentionally damage or misuse a borrowed item.
I only need the gun for 2 days and my friend hasn't used it in ten years, he is begging me to take it. I probably won't even fire it when I get there.
Old July 13, 2009, 05:49 PM   #14
LarryFlew

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

travel info on how to declare it etc. Typically you need to be allowed to own a firearm but it need not be your firearm you are declaring. You also want to check if you are going to carry in the state you are going to that you are legal there as well.
Old July 13, 2009, 06:03 PM   #15
ninjatoth

If you have a ccw,it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
As I understand it, in Michigan it's a no-no to borrow somebody's pistol without the owner being present.
true for basic owned handguns,untrue if you have a ccw
Old July 14, 2009, 06:57 AM   #16
Skans

Quote:
Skans-The question was not can I borrow your gun. And although I can understand your reasoning, it doesn't pertain to this discussion.
A good friend wouldn't intentionally damage or misuse a borrowed item.
I only need the gun for 2 days and my friend hasn't used it in ten years, he is begging me to take it. I probably won't even fire it when I get there.

The answer to your question is "No". Like someone else said, there is no registry of gun ownership - as of yet, that would be illegal. Therefore, there are no laws requiring "proof of ownership" for traveling with a firearm. If you possess a firearm, you declare it as yours.
Old July 20, 2009, 11:38 PM   #17
MauiDoc

Don't bring it to Hawai'i....

....very strict laws here against loaning and borrowing, esp handguns. Okay at the range 'temporarily' which isn't defined. Of course, no-one at the range asks any questions, unless you're shooting something "blatantly illegal", as was quoted to me by one of the range officers.

Plus, you can shoot mine when we go to the range!!