The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 18, 2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Smokin Joe

NYC Volunteer auxiliary police officers did not follow training, got killed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2577229.shtml

It is truely saddened that in these hard times two volunteers got killed while out on patrol.

Saddened it is, but anyway, what the news reports dont say, is that the auxiliary are trained not to follow a suspect, not to confront any suspects, nor to try to apprehend anybody. They are trained to radio central for help upon a crime.

It is truely sad that: The auxiliary are not armed with firearms, they have batons and a whistle. Looks like the perp realized they were not armed, and the auxiliaries became the hunted.

The perp had a .357 magnum revolver (so said report). auxiliaries are not real police officers nor even peace officers therefore have no guns.

I guess let this be a reminder to us all, to take training seriously. These two BRAVE SOULS lost their lives because they chose to ignore training.

Last edited by Smokin Joe; March 19, 2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: for sypatheicness
Old March 18, 2007, 11:39 PM   #2
trooper3385

It looks like these to men did not follow the policies that they were suppose to, but why don't we try to work on our wording a little more before posting a tread about two people getting killed. There are lessons here for people to learn from, but why don't we try to be alittle more sympathetic towards these people.
Old March 19, 2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Smokin Joe

There I had softened it up for you. (edited)
Old March 19, 2007, 01:03 AM   #4
tiburondriver47

Yes it was too bad. I know most of the auxillary officers in MI (around me anyways) carry firearms.
Old March 19, 2007, 10:33 AM   #5
mpi

having been leo for a long time, i feel that it's foolish to wear a uniform in public without being armed.

mpi
Old March 19, 2007, 12:45 PM   #6
WIN71

I agree with mpi

Bad things can happen while wearing any kind of enforcement uniform, whether armed or not. It's very sad either way. Being unarmed only adds fuel to the emotions. This type of occurrence is usually the result of several factors coming together at the same time. Usually if any one of these were removed the result would be different. If history is any indicator this sad scenario will be investigated to death, (no pun intended). The end result will be some type of policy change made in part by the elected bureaucrats. It may or may not preclude a future occurrence.