The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 29, 2006, 08:01 PM   #1
RedPhnx

Could Have Cost Myself My Life

Last week on Black Friday (the Friday after thanksgiving) I had to run or businesses after thanksgiving sale by myself at one of our locations. I didn't really mind working this location since I have spent the previous 3 years running it and feel comfortable with the area. The only downside is that its not in such a great neighborhood. So I did what I always have done when I work their, I bring my .45.

So I get to work and we already have crazy shoppers waiting outside for us to open. I open the store up and put my cased and unloaded gun at my feet and forgot about it. Normally I keep it in the drawer next to the cash register or where I can reach it quickly but that day with it being so busy I just completely forgot about it.

As most of you who have worked in a location for a while you get used to the people who walk by or wait for the bus in front of your property. I can recognize most of the people who walk by on a given day by face. On that day I noticed a younger man (my age 23 - 27) walk by a few times. I kept an eye on him since he was a new face and the fact that he had passed my front windows 3 times in the last hour stood out to me. He left and I just stopped thinking about it. About 6 hours into the day I hear the door buzzer go off and its him. This was odd since we only sell to licensed hair dressers. He eyed the place over while I rang out a customer and then tossed a $20 on the counter and asked me for change for a $50. I asked him if he wanted two $10s or 4 $5s and he hesitated for a few seconds and then said 2 $10's. So I popped the drawer got his 2 10's, the whole time he watched how I opened the drawer and seemed to be checking out how much cash we had. It was about that time I realized my gun was at my feet unloaded. So he took a step back and I started ringing out the next customer and he just stood their and waited, at this point im almost shaking because I know if he tries something im screwed. He ended up leaving without any problems but I did catch him looking in through the window the next morning, on that day I was wearing my new IWB holster with two spare mags.

Just thought I would share this with everyone to remind them not to get complacent. I got stupid and even though it worked out well, it could have been very bad, we had a building two spots down from us get robbed at knife point for about $100 bucks, so I should have been much more aware.

Jason I.
Old November 29, 2006, 08:12 PM   #2
marlboroman84

Glad it worked out ok. I think we all have to have a situation like this happen before we really change modes. I had my incident before I even got my CCW to anyone that read that thread it is now referred to as "The Miami Vice Incident" lol.

Long story short our local Kroger was robbed and a girl was shot (she survived). I was headed to the store, but stopped to finish an old episode of Miami Vice. If I hadn't stopped to watch the show I would've walked in right about the time they were storming out. It always makes me think a bit more heavily now.
Old November 29, 2006, 08:15 PM   #3
RedPhnx

I'm just happy it worked out, after he left I nearly turned to butter and fell to the floor, I kept it together long enough to ring out the few people in line but I sat in the back for a while after that. I hate the fact that I live in IL and can only carry once I get on our private property but I need to exercise that right more often. I guess I can rack that up to lessons learned.
Old November 29, 2006, 10:12 PM   #4
skeeter1

This morning, there was someone, (probably the juvies nextdoor) trying to get into my front door. Wouldn't be the first time. It takes me a great deal of self-restraint not to pull out one of the firearms and go blasting. Good thing for steel doors.
Old November 29, 2006, 11:36 PM   #5
Blackwater OPS

IMO, there is never an excuse to go unarmed when you could do so... It's like wearing a seatbelt, chances are you won't need it, but if you do you will be VERY glad you decided to, or VERY sorry you didn't.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old November 30, 2006, 02:55 PM   #6
jcoiii

Live and learn. Glad you're ok

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old November 30, 2006, 09:59 PM   #7
Dwight55

Blackwater said it best, . . . better to have it and not need it, . . . than need it and not have it.

+1 on glad it worked out for you RedPhnx.

I thought I was in a jam earlier today, . . . just cleared the Subway cash register, heading to the table with both hands full, . . . trash looking dude comes in, . . . straight to the register, . . . hand in one pocket, . . . I had bells going off where there ain't no bells.

I just slipped into the corner table, . . . made sure the table was not bolted down in case I needed it not to be, . . . faced the dude at the register and unbuttoned my jacket.

Fortunately, . . . he had some words with the cashier that I couldn't hear, . . . and hit the road.

It was nice to hear the bells quit ringing, . . . but it was almost as nice to press my right elbow to my side where my 1911 was, . . . and my left elbow couble checked my two spare magazines.

Twas a lousy sandwich, . . . but a good ending anyway.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!