The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 2, 2015, 01:48 PM   #1
hooligan1

1891 Argentine, 7.65

Does anybody make a wing style safety for this rifle?
Old July 2, 2015, 04:50 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, hooligan,

Can you clarify a bit? The Model 1891 Mauser has a "wing" type safety. Do you mean a low scope safety? If so, Brownells has them for the 1893 Mauser and the low scope safety for that gun should work. (The factory safeties are not the same, but the 93 low scope safety should work or will with some fitting.)

Jim
Old July 3, 2015, 07:17 AM   #3
F. Guffey

[QUOTE][/1891 Argentine, 7.65

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody make a wing style safety for this rifle? QUOTE]

Yes Hooligan1, did you loose one? I just became the owner of another Argentine 1891, I was informed by the owner it was a 308 W, I thought he got confused about the 7.65 B.M and the 7.62 NATO.

The rifle is chambered to 308 W. The barrel started as a M1917. The rifle is complete with scope and turned down bolt, I will have to check to see what he did with the safety. He said the rifle was a loaner, meaning if someone showed up to go hunting without a rifle he loaned them the 1891. The rifle came with ammo, lots of ammo, no B. M. 7.65.

F. Guffey
Old July 3, 2015, 12:45 PM   #4
hooligan1

Well I really like the wing safety I got from PTG for my turk build. And I was hoping not to use the Timney Beuhler. I'd like to find some company that makes them....want to get away from original safety...

F.Guffey did the magazine require some attention for .308 winny?
Old July 3, 2015, 01:04 PM   #5
F. Guffey

Holligan1, I have not gotten used to the ideal I have a 1891 Argentine small ring Mauser with a 308 W chamber. I have a stack of rifles that have to go to the range along with ammo I have loaded.

The builder: When we get together our average age is 83, it is most difficult for me to even hint I have questions about the wisdom. He is a most rare individual, something like Unclenick, I have the luxury of disagreeing and he has earned the respect of many individuals involved in many trades and careers outside of smithing.

F. Guffey
Old July 6, 2015, 03:54 PM   #6
hooligan1

I've checked some places and talked with some smiths, and for the Argentine, it's probably a Buehler style thats going to be easier to get my paws on.

Also as far as the new barrel and cartridge,,, I'm leaning towards 6.5x55 Swede.
Old July 10, 2015, 09:51 AM   #7
hooligan1

Dropping this project. A good friend has sent me a better way to go with my project.
Thank you for replying fellas.
Old July 10, 2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Well, what way, then?
Old July 10, 2015, 04:18 PM   #9
hooligan1

Well Jim a buddy of mine sent me an action and barrel to build this project.
Its a 96 with a Boyds Bold trigger and a Shilen Lightweight 6.5 barrel and a walnut in the rough stock for it. And he's right this is a whole lot better than rebarrelin 1891 and trying to build a safety and using sporterized original stock for the Argentine.

This rifle will be a 6.5x55 swede in a custom walnut stock, for my childhood buddy's new wife to deer hunt with, right now she uses his model 336 30-30, and its a tad much for her to get used to...any way after I get a smith to rebarrel and chamber I will fit new barreled actio into the new stock....and some wood work to be finished as well.