The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
AtlanticRadio

Problem reassembling Ruger P345

Hey TFL,

I apologize in advance for the length, but I want to give ya'll as much information as possible as I humbly ask for assistance. I've encountered a pretty frustrating issue while trying to reassemble my grandfather's Ruger P345 after a basic field strip.

Background:
I'm 25 and have 2 months of experience with firearms. No one else in my family shoots or has an interest in it (my grandfather passed away). After going to the range a few times to shoot the Ruger, I knew that I needed to field strip and clean it. That part went smoothly, field strip was easy, cleaning etc, and the initial reassembly. I wanted to practice the field strip/reassembling process and proceeded to do so 3 times with no problems. I guess I should have stopped at lucky number 3 .

Issue:
During the reassembling process I:
1. Replaced the barrel into its rearward locked position
2. Put the camblock and recoil spring assembly into position against the barrel lug
3. While attempting to put the slide back into position, either I lost my grip on the slide or the spring moved (it happened really quickly and it was last night).
4. The slide is now fit back onto the frame, but the (don't know the technical term) rod underneath the barrel is stuck (really REALLY stuck) exposing the rod about an inch and a half.
5. The chamber is raised just high enough to stick with the slide while attempting to pull the slide backwards. It's possible to force it to stay forward (with 3 and 1/2 hands and sheer willpower), but it prevents me from doing anything useful.
6. The hammer will still cock and return to the fired position and the slide will move to the rear, but once the hammer is cocked the slide moves back and forth freely with no resistance. The barrel and rod stay stuck with the slide while moving it back and forth. If I manage to fit the nail file from my multitool into the breach I can force the barrel forward, but it is really difficult because the spring is fighting the movement.
7. The trigger functions and moves the hammer as it should.

I'm including several pictures to help illustrate my situation. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. The only useful tool I have readily accessible is a Leatherman Sidekick. I also have a sense of humor, so feel free to poke fun and/or haze the new guy. I've lurked the forum pretty regularly in the past two months, and will really enjoy joining the community. Especially when I ask all of my beginner/noob questions.

Thanks in advance for any help, and let me know if you need anymore info or pics.

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg
Old March 4, 2013, 05:03 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

There seems to be a part missing, isn't there? The slide lock is???
Old March 4, 2013, 05:08 PM   #3
AtlanticRadio

Crap, sorry. I have the slide lock, but as you pointed out not in place. The problem occurred before I was supposed to put the slide lock back in. I've forced it back into place in an attempt to lock the slide back (guess that's a duh...) trying to gain access to the barrel, but the slide just barely BARELY will not go far enough back to lock into place. I can move the slide back to the disassemble marks, but it will not come off.
Old March 4, 2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Swampman1

There are excellent videos on youtube showing step by step reassembly.
Old March 4, 2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Tickling

Welcome to TFL, AtlanticRadio

I don't own the gun in question but this might be a good start in finding some answers:

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...%20disassembly
Old March 4, 2013, 08:26 PM   #6
AtlanticRadio

I appreciate the list of videos, but I'm not sure how to translate that into solving my problem. I can't completely disassemble it because I can't get the slide off. What I really need is an idea of how I can either get the rod back into its normal place, or just how to get the slide off so I can access the barrel, camblock, and spring. A better way to put it maybe is, how can I get access to the barrel and camblock when I can't remove the slide?
Old March 4, 2013, 08:29 PM   #7
YARDDOG(1)

Pull the ejector down ; ) PS Might have to come in from mag well
Y/D
Old March 4, 2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Tickling

Well you're hard to please!

Try this: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/rug...-did-i-do.html

There are instructions near the bottom. If that doesn't help, someone will be along that is qualified to answer.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
AtlanticRadio

Tickling,

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I'm the exact opposite, and that second link gave me the answer. 22 hours later it is fixed. Thank you SO MUCH. If you weren't undoubtedly armed, I'd probably try to hunt you down and hug you (man hug of course). I really really appreciate the help.

Yarddog, you gave me the right answer also. I was just too dumb to figure it out. Thank you as well.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Tickling

Quote:
I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I'm the exact opposite, and that second link gave me the answer. 22 hours later it is fixed.
It never crossed my mind that you were. I was jesting Did it really? I'm glad, you know, I did something similar to a Glock So I know the feeling.

Quote:
If you weren't undoubtedly armed, I'd probably try to hunt you down and hug you (man hug of course).
Now that's funny, I look forward to reading your future posts

Tags
beginner , ruger , troubleshooting