The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1
StukaJU87

Local Prices

Just curious what you guys are seeing around your normal watering holes.

I had time to kill today, so I stopped by a couple LGS to check their prices. Both places were wiped on ammo but I was suprised how many firearms they still had. Granted they were mostly shotguns and revolvers but there were still AKs,(WASR) and ARs to be had.
The 1st place was still selling WASRs for $350.
The 2nd place had an Colt AR for $2400 and a Jager AP-74 22lr for $300.

The clerk was telling me that they cant keep ARs on the shelf. He said that models that sold for $750 last week, were selling for over $2,000. He then told me that they would be getting more in next week and that they weren't going to rasie the prices on them like they did on the ones they had already sold. He said they would sell them at there normal mark up.
How nice! Guess they made their money?
Sounded kinda dirty to me but then again he did say that most of the ARs they have been selling were on consignment, so maybe the high prices weren't completely their doing.

Aside from the ARs, everything else looked fairly reasonable, maybe around $50 to $100 more than I would like but nowhere near as bad as I would've thought them to be. After reading some of the posts here, I figured everyone was taking advantage and raising all their prices, good to see some stores are trying to stay within reason.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:23 PM   #2
StukaJU87

Bad news and good news

Stopped into the same LGS last week to inquire about finding a Winchester SXP shotgun and maybe a RIA GI 9mm. Went back today to see what they had to say. They hadn't been able to find either yet. So I thought I might as well look around.

This LGS is your typical small shop with a couple lanes for indoor small caliber shooting. Before the panic, if you saw two cars there, it was busy. Their parking lot has been packed ever since the panic started.

Pistols
Bad news: they're pistol selection was severly thin, and some of what they had left was on consignment.

Good news: the prices weren't inflated like I hear other people talking about. Probably why they were picked clean. lol

Rifles
Bad news: all the "scary" rifles they had were on consignment and were double if not triple what they should be. EX: "Like new condition" Century Arms International RPK with 40rd mag that used to sell for $699, was on consignment for $1450.

Good news: they had some "scary" rifles. Some I hadn"t seen in awhile, like the RPK. They were used of course, but were in pretty nice shape.

Shotguns
Bad news: didn"t have what I wanted. The clerk said that he was surprised he couldn"t find one and that apparently, in general, shotguns were starting to be affected by the panic, making them hard for him to get. He said he figured shotguns wouldn"t be affected by the panic, so he's starting to worry.

Good news: they had a few Remington and Mossberg shotguns left, even some "scary" ones. What new shotguns they had were reasonably priced, only the few used ones on consignment where inflated.

This shop has been around for years and has always seemed pretty fair on their pricing. Glad to see they haven"t started gouging like other places I'm hearing about.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:00 AM   #3
mj246

From what I saw looking last week around LGSs is that in my area at least, the swamp on handgun sales seems to be starting to taper off. Still didn't see any ARs or AKs anywhere for the most part, but the handgun shelves were being restocked with new products, both revolvers and semis. The interesting thing for me was how tiny the used sections were compared to before the craze at nearly all the stores I checked. Maybe about 1/2-1/3 of what they usually have in at most of the stores.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Are you sure the retailers are bumping the prices or are the manufactures doing it? My suspicion point to nether. I myself suspect its the wholesalers taking advantage of the buying public more so than the retailers. "The infamous middle man theory."