The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 17, 2007, 08:26 PM   #1
TRiCoN45

holster cant?

Most have described the cant of a holster by the face of a clock(I'm guessing because after a number the phrase "o'clock" is inputed) does this method of description entail the muzzle as the clocks hand, the butt as the hand, or the....beaver tail as the clocks hand? Iv been assuming the muzzle but have ran across a few posts on various forums stating "3 o'clock" as the the cant set for their IWB holster. If my assumptions are correct then how do you comfortably conceal a firearm with the length of the slide pressed to your side/back/abs behind a belt? Please enlighten me. I'm looking for a first IWB holster and wish to know how to describe what I need to the holster maker when placing an order. Also if anyone has any suggestions on what cant and position to conceal on a 5'9" 145lbs frame please help. The ONLY way I've found(I know not of all the posibilities and options to conceal) decent to actualy conceal where its really hidden is at 7-8 o'clock(if my clock describing assumptions are correct....muzzle being the clocks hand) does 7-8 o'clock sounds inadequate?

*edit* oh yeah, and the 7-8 o'clock cant is positioned between the back and the strongside hip.

Last edited by TRiCoN45; September 17, 2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: left out some info
Old September 17, 2007, 08:33 PM   #2
orionengnr

The holster's position on your waist is usually expressed by clock position, e.g., 12:00 is your navel, 4:00 is just behind the right hip and so on.

Holster's cant is usually expressed in degrees, e.g., a 15* cant indicates that the pistol is canted clockwise 15 degrees. High Noon holsters website demonstrates this pretty well. I think Milt Sparks shows he same, and UBG holsters likewise.

Good luck and happy holster shopping.
Old September 17, 2007, 08:42 PM   #3
pax

Good post, orionengnr.

Some links that also might help:

See http://www.corneredcat.com/Glossary/glossary.aspx for an interactive glossary of shooting & firearms terms, including some holster terms. On the same site, http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/holster.aspx has holster-specific terms with pictures.

See http://www.delfatti.com/webdoc20.html for a really good explanation of cant (rake) and how to decide which angle will suit you.

Hope those both help.

pax