The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 28, 2010, 05:44 PM   #26
armoredman

Action hero version.

She whips the folding knife open and into a point down hold, then quickly lays the blade along his neck.
"Ease off that gas pedal or learn to breathe through your own blood," she snarls.
He flinches, and she jams the muzzle of the revolver with the other hand into the back of the drivers seat., "And that ain't a sex toy, either. Your choice, die now, or die a lot later."
Bad guy meekly pulls over and surrenders as her husband runs out of the grocery store, Serbu Shorty in hand.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:49 PM   #27
LordofWar

Well if Sarah would have been carrying she would have been aware of your surroundings as well. When a person is carrying he/she usually gets a little tactical & prepared.

Best thing would have been to shoot the BG immediately while trying to cover the kids ears but shoot anyway. Its better having a deaf child than a dead child.

I wouldnt advise any kind of bodily contact with a secondry weapon like a knife or a dialouge with the perp when a child is involved. Women of the house should have zero tolerance to such scenarios.

Best to keep shooting the BG unless he drops. Finish him off with a headshot because Sarah shouldnt take any chances.
Old January 28, 2010, 09:11 PM   #28
KenpoTex

Quote:
Well if Sarah would have been carrying she would have been aware of your surroundings as well. When a person is carrying he/she usually gets a little tactical & prepared.
Unfortunately, that's not always true. There are a lot of people that carry a gun who hold the incorrect view that they don't need anything else to keep them safe. While they may not be consciously aware of it, they view the gun as a "talisman" that will somehow ward off bad guys. As a result, they never bother to truly prepare themselves by developing the correct mindset or by adding other skills.

Matt K.
Old January 29, 2010, 08:48 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc2162
BTW why does everyone here think 1 shot is going to cause permanent deafness in the child. Your ears are incredibly resilient organs.

I don't think anyone said "permanent deafness".

Permanent damage, on the other hand, it easily could. It might not. It might. Ears are resilient, yes. Children's ears are very sensitive.

If I thought that it was my best choice then I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. "Thought it best" pretty well implies that 99.9% of other options have been eliminated and it's "do it or die".
Old January 30, 2010, 08:40 AM   #30
Boatme98

Why the * are are the keys in the ignition?
Old January 30, 2010, 09:59 AM   #31
LordofWar

Because **** was supposed to happen that day. Its that simple.
Old January 30, 2010, 10:11 AM   #32
teeroux

If it were me I would empty the revolver into his back and while reaching up front and grabbing the wheel to steer beat him in the head with the revolver till I reached neck.
Old February 6, 2010, 03:14 PM   #33
old bear

IMHO

IMHO there is only one correct course of action, stop it now. Push the kid on the floor NOW then empty gun into back of the drivers seat. If possible roll onto rear floor to protect kid with your body and hope inventible crash is not to bad.

Yes, the child may be hurt when pushed onto the floor, but remember kids bounce fairly well, and yes your and the kids ears are going to ring for sometime but you will be alive.
Old February 6, 2010, 04:35 PM   #34
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Thinking problems and reaction problems, this is a reaction problem, shot to the head before he can build up a lot of speed. Don't apologize or make excuses later, you were assaulted, kidnapped, in fear of your life and protecting your child, all the excuse needed.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 15, 2010, 02:09 PM   #35
CobraCommander

Contact shot to the skull, with special attention to making sure the muzzle has a good seal with the skin. The side of the head or face is a better place than the back of the skull. The side of the jaw, just under the ear would do as well (or in the ear canal). Ensure that the barrel is pointing into the middle of the cranium no matter where you choose to make contact, since the best way to muck this up is to have the bullet not enter the cranial cavity and inflict a more superficial wound. A high-pressure contact wound in which the bullet enters the cranium and makes friends with the brain is going to be almost instantly incapacitating. He may live for a good while (hours) afterward, though, if his brainstem is not damaged, but it will be as a vegetable.

If using the knife, I would avoid trying to stab it into the skull or back of the neck. The skull if curved and very hard, particularly in the back, as are the vertebrae (and inserting the blade into the intervertebral space would be very difficult, particularly if he was moving. Notice the illustration.) A superficial wound with deflection would likely result. Given the close proximity of major blood vessels to the body surface, I would put my money on drawing the blade across the throat ("slitting the throat") to lacerate the common carotid arteries. Cutting both carotids will cause an injury that is invariably fatal in a short period of time.

I would absolutely avoid trying to talk or parley with the kidnapper. This is a situation calling for as much violence as possible, inflicted in a timely manner.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:40 PM   #36
publius

I would either put the gun to his head and tell him to stop or put it to his head and pull the trigger. Don't really know until I'm actually in a situation like that. I don't always have a gun but always have a sharp knife- he gets his throat slit.