The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2006, 05:29 AM   #1
trooper3385

Suggestion on powder dispenser and scale

I have a couple of questions. First, I'm looking into getting a electric powder dispenser and digital scale. I've never had any experience with them. For those of you that have them, what do you think and what brand do you recommend. I was looking at the RCBS chargemaster combo, but I don't like the price. I've been looking on ebay and have found a couple of better deals. I think it would be way easier than using the old manual powder throw and scale. Are they as accurate or more accurate? Any information good or bad would be great. Also, this might sound stupid, but is there any difference in regular brass and the nickel plated brass. Does it hold up the same. Just curious.
Old February 24, 2006, 07:17 AM   #2
MADISON

Powder dispenser and scales

My problem with buying one of those HIGH DOLLAR powder dispensers is:
$200 to $300
The need for a pair of scales. If it is so wonderful, why do you need a pair of scales?
Old February 24, 2006, 09:38 PM   #3
schutzen

Rcbs Chargemaster

I use a RCBS Chargemaster Combo. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? DEFINITELY! It is accurate and will duplicate charges precisely. Load development is a snap. 27.2 grains X 10, 27.5 grains X 10, 27.9 grains X 10 and load. Sort cases, a snap. Some of the best money I've spent.
Old February 24, 2006, 10:44 PM   #4
steve4102

I have a Lyman 1200DPS. I agree with schutzen on the advantages of the electronic dispenser/scale combo. My Lyman has never fail to deliver a perfect powder charge and load development is super fast. I love it. If I had to do it over again I think I would go with the RCBS Combo. The RCBS is a bit faster and the price has come down since I purchased my Lyman. I still think the Lyman is a great unit.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0004498923

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...u=000157752400
Old February 24, 2006, 11:17 PM   #5
esheato

Without a doubt the RCBS unit is the ultimate.

I have owned the PACT units also and you couldn't pay me to return to it.

Read the reviews on the RCBS at Midway. If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.

Ed
Old February 26, 2006, 04:08 PM   #6
RERICK

I agree with the others when they talk about the Chargemaster.Its accurate as all heck and quick to dispense charges.I'm very satisfied with it and its worth every cent I paid for it.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?c...TOKEN=62954629
Old February 26, 2006, 08:48 PM   #7
snuffy

"My problem with buying one of those HIGH DOLLAR powder dispensers is:
$200 to $300
The need for a pair of scales. If it is so wonderful, why do you need a pair of scales?"

Huh? What makes you think there's TWO scales envolved? There's an electronic/digital scale and a dispensor, the two work in tandem to dispense powder. Or you CAN use just the scale to sort bullets/cases, or to weigh other things.

I have the pact system, I'll stick with it as long as it continues to work. Slow but accurate.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 26, 2006, 09:29 PM   #8
Nortonics

I just went and looked at and read the reviews for that RCBS combo unit on Midwayusa.com - looks like a quality product.

Did I read correctly in one of those reviews that it could take up to 10 seconds for that thing to dispense one load?

If so, I could see using this system for a handful of specialized rifle loads for instance, but when I want to slam out 500 rounds of .45's for practice this coming weekend I sure don't want to spend even 1/10 of that time measuring out each load. I have a digital scale that's just as accurate as that, except I just set my charge bar once and measure a load only every so often (even though it never changes). I think my powder-thru die along with the charge bar takes about a whole 1/2 of a second to do its thing for each load.

And hey, P.S. - just for S&G, check out the ingenuity of a fellow handloader who made his own electronic powder trickler - only difference is the computer remains in his head, so to speak:

Super Trickler by Iowegan at Handloads.com

Old February 28, 2006, 05:58 AM   #9
HMSHarley

Powder Measure/Scale

I use a Hornady 3 poise magnetic scale. It is accurate to 1/10 of a gn.
I also use a Redding Powder Measure with the Micrometer chamber for postol loading. Both of these are right on the money. I could not ask for anything better. The thing with all this elctric stuff is there is no way to transfer the powder from the scale. Plus you have to worry about batteries. I am the old school and like to have control. You really can't go wrong this way. What happens if the memory chip goes? Then what? Or if it gives you a wrong reading? You have no control this way. Whereas using the old school mechanical way, it may take a tas bit longer, but at least you know that your loads ate always going to be ACCURATE. I hope this helps. I bet some of the ole timers here will agree with me. Take care and have a good day.

Harley