The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2002, 10:43 AM   #1
Wild Irish

Worth it?

The local Big 5 has for its weekly special a Remington 870 Express Magnum, 7 +1, bead sight, synthetic body, for $279 plus the taxes, etc., bringing it to 'bout $320. Is this a durable piece, capable of moderate usage in its lifespan, or should I save for something else. I have two other pumps and a shorty double, so I don't need it, but when did not needing something stop us?
Old August 13, 2002, 12:50 PM   #2
Romulus

While the 870 Express is the proverbial brick outhouse capable of much more than "moderate usage", $280-320 seems a bit on the steep side...last year I got a Police Magnum for $325...I though I saw an 870 recently at WalMart for about $229...

I see the Express model as the strongest receiver for an 870 since it has no metal milled away for aesthetic reasons, like on the wingmaster or the police receivers...but I gues the difference is academic...the 870, regardless of the model, is a tank

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old August 13, 2002, 02:40 PM   #3
Andrew Wyatt

big five regularly has mossberg's on sale for 219, and they're plenty durable, after you replace the safety with a metal one from brownells.
Old August 13, 2002, 09:14 PM   #4
HSMITH

If it has sling swivels buy it. By the time you buy a mag tube extension and put sling swivels on you will be over the price. The synthetic models bring about $20 more than the wood guns you see for $229.
Old August 13, 2002, 09:45 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Here in South Carolina, expresses (bird guns) go for $249.00 at Wal-Mart. Frankly, that price would be a good price here.

What sort of taxes are you paying? Ten percent equals $310.00, even 20% only works out to $322.00. Surely you guys don't have a 20% sales tax?
Old August 13, 2002, 10:01 PM   #6
Slater

Here in AZ, $320 was the standard price, $279 was the sale price.
Old August 14, 2002, 12:30 AM   #7
Wild Irish

Onward

We have a 7% or so sales tax, $ to the Great White Father in Washington for allowing us to purchase said item, so $320 is close enough. I'm rallying what little spare cash I have to round out purchases before the first of the year, when classes, fees, licensing, etc. take place here in Wonderland, courtesy of the Grey Queen and his Mad Hatters in Sacramento.
Old August 14, 2002, 05:58 AM   #8
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

There was a thread in General about the coming draconian laws in Kali. The consensus was to get that which you can't have or that which will cost more when the effective date hits. Think most folks were getting Mini-14s and high cap pistols.

Will the 870 be available later?
Old August 14, 2002, 09:34 AM   #9
Wild Irish

and now,

My gunshop guy may be relocating back to ol' Virginny rather than face what he sees as an even more iffy way of trying to make a living here in the Gelded state after the first of the year.
I've looked at the Mossbergs, but for a few bucks more am considering a shotgun that is ready to go, rather than add on goodies piecemeal. I do have a five shot Model 500 equipped with a witness grip, which beats those standard pistol grips any day. For those not in the know, a witness grip is more of a knob that is parallel with the weapon rather than perpendicular, minus a few degrees of angle. When fired, the weapon 'rocks' backwards instead of jolting. Follow-up shots are faster and more accurate. I've tried the regular p-grips, and quit shooting after just a few shots. The w/grip lets you shoot. And shoot.