The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 17, 2014, 01:09 AM   #1
ClydeFrog

Convicted felon & sex offender arrested for gun charges....

A convicted felon & registered sex offender; Tyler Smith: 26, was arrested after local LE officers saw him shooting a rifle on the unscripted TV series; Doomsday Preppers. Smith lives in the Tacoma WA area.
He claimed to be a member of a group called The Marauders .
The sheriff seemed irate over Smith appearing on the show & wanted the public to know the felon's real background.

I'd ask how a major TV network like Nat Geo would let a felon get on a program about preppers.

Clyde
Old January 17, 2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

There's a news story with some background here. He ran a group called Spartan Survival. He also had a warrant for failure to register with the local sheriff's department when he moved recently.

Among his charming quotes is this:

Quote:
We’re not in it to stockpile. We’re in it to take what you have and there’s nothing you can do to stop us. We are your worst nightmare, and we are coming. We’ll kick your door in and take your supplies. … We are the marauders.
How lovely.
Old January 17, 2014, 08:48 AM   #3
teeroux

Quote:
I'd ask how a major TV network like Nat Geo would let a felon get on a program about preppers.
Because the purpose of the show is not about preppers or 2nd amendment rights. Its about making preppers and gun owners look like criminals.

This
Quote:
We’re not in it to stockpile. We’re in it to take what you have and there’s nothing you can do to stop us. We are your worst nightmare, and we are coming. We’ll kick your door in and take your supplies. … We are the marauders.
Old January 17, 2014, 09:16 AM   #4
wogpotter

Its "reality" TV, please note the use of quotation marks as 99% of it a far from real in any sense of the word.

IMO "Reality" TV is the early 21st Century version of the old 19th Century "Freak Show" at a carnival. Nothing else, just quickly & cheaply producible stuff to fill the spaces between commercial breaks.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 17, 2014, 09:26 AM   #5
spacecoast

That guy looks like bad news just waiting to happen. Let's hope he doesn't hurt anyone else on his way to self destruction.

There's a definite chance there are ulterior motives of associating all gun owners with nut jobs like him.
Old January 17, 2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Grizz12

LOL, I thought that was the funnest episode yet. If you havent seen it and need a really good belly laugh, find it and watch that episode
Old January 17, 2014, 09:30 AM   #7
BarryLee

Quote:
Because the purpose of the show is not about preppers or 2nd amendment rights. Its about making preppers and gun owners look like criminals.
Maybe. However, the more obvious purpose is simply to make money. The more outrageous a show the more folks that may turn in to see the freaks and the more money the producers make.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 17, 2014, 10:16 AM   #8
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
He can't be all bad. At least he had the decency to warn the world his intentions. That, by itself, is a legal defense for whomever might whack him out.

Quote:
Your honor, my client was acting in self-defense. Mr. Sex Pervert had already announced his intentions to steal private property at all costs, and my client was simply defending his family, his home, and himself.
All that, and all Mr Sex Pervert was doing was asking people if he could rake their leaves for some lunch money.

What a guy.
Old January 17, 2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Sweet Shooter

What is it with these guys who think they are natural born leaders? Hands up who wants him on their side...
Old January 17, 2014, 11:11 AM   #10
g.willikers

I might be dis-remembering, but once upon a time,
Didn't the History Channel do genuine history shows,
And National Geographic Channel do world travel shows,
And The Learning Channel do shows where ya' actually learned something.
And the Discovery Channel do shows about really neat stuff, that actually was.
Who took them over and turned them into what they now are?
Have we been invaded by aliens wanting to turn our brains to mush, so they can conquer us?
Wha??
Old January 17, 2014, 11:14 AM   #11
Fishing_Cabin

So, let me see if I have this straight. He goes on a national cable show and says this:
Quote:
According to the article linked above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC.COM
The problem is, Smith is a felon, convicted of communicating with a minor for immoral purposes and theft. He's not supposed to go anywhere near a gun.
And at the end:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC.COM
Smith is a level one sex offender following his conviction in King county in 2009, but he has not registered with law enforcement since his move to Pierce county. Troyer said he could face an additional charge of failing to register as a sex offender.
So let me think a minute. Oh gosh this is difficult...(sarcasm) So this guy gets grabbed by something stronger then him (the gov) for not following the law on more then one instance (the original crimes, felon in possession, and failing to register) but yet he is some smart bad guy that's going to take others stuff? Hilarious. Utterly priceless.

With his self pronounced intentions of burglarizing and stealing, perhaps even worse, I would hope the local authorities keep a close watch on him.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:22 AM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
Quote:
Maybe. However, the more obvious purpose is simply to make money. The more outrageous a show the more folks that may turn in to see the freaks and the more money the producers make.
I don't think it's as simplistic as that. To be sure, the TeeVee folks intend to make money, but that does not preclude their also having ulterior motives.

Look at Duck Dynasty. It is pretty widely accepted that the network was NOT prepared for the show to become as popular as it is, and -- more importantly -- the network was NOT prepared for a major viewer population to self-identify with the stars. The network expected viewers to laugh AT the iggerent bumpkins and their ridiculously outdated, Christian views. Once it became obvious that the viewing audience wasn't laughing AT the Robertson clan, the network had a tiger by the tail and didn't (and doesn't) know how to deal with it.

Did you see the recent news bit about some Hollyweird producer planning a major "documentary" that's supposedly going to make the NRA sorry they ever woke up? You have to understand that they hate us, and to consider that they might have produced a show intended to make "our kind" look evil and foolish is, IMHO, not much of a stretch at all.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:42 AM   #13
Sierra280

This doesn't sound that surprising, while it's a little irresponsible of whatever network aired the program, it's just another case of how people who shouldn't have guns will still have them; regardless of how many laws are passed.

As for all the other discussion on this thread, I'm always thankful I don't watch/have television (okay, I am going to a buddy's house to watch football on Sunday, but c'mon)
Old January 17, 2014, 12:04 PM   #14
KyJim

The guy deserves to go to jail for a felon possessing a firearm and, apparently, for not registering as a sex offender. However, why is that when a reporter or politician has an illegal, over-the-limit magazine or violates some other gun law on TV, the police just look the other way? Don't answer. The question was rhetorical.
Old January 17, 2014, 12:21 PM   #15
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Hands up who wants him on their side...
If we're in battle, and a sniper is doing us damage, I'd like that guy on my side.

"Bubba, run out there and draw that sniper's fire so we can kill 'em."

He's that dumb.
Old January 17, 2014, 12:46 PM   #16
jimbob86

I note that the headline said, "Doomsday Prepper Tyler Smith Arrested For Illegal Guns" ....

I can see nothing in and of the guns themselves that were "illegal" ......

It was this felon's possession of the guns that violated the law.

Gotta demonize the object, I guess ......
Old January 17, 2014, 12:58 PM   #17
coldbeer

I bet this guy has a ton of 22lr ammo
Old January 17, 2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
What is it with these guys who think they are natural born leaders? Hands up who wants him on their side...
Not unless he was on the front line where he would likely be the first to go and friendly fire wouldn't matter so much......

He appeared to be a glory seeker anyway. Doing something a little more outrageous to grab the limelight. I find the show interesting but silly at the same time. Why would a person go on TV and practically give away so much of their secrets to the whole world and expect them to be still secrets? If something really happened they would be more vulnerable because of it, not smart ( at least most of them). In a way the Marauders idea likely stemmed from it?

Quote:
I might be dis-remembering, but once upon a time,
Didn't the History Channel do genuine history shows,
And National Geographic Channel do world travel shows,
And The Learning Channel do shows where ya' actually learned something.
And the Discovery Channel do shows about really neat stuff, that actually was.
Who took them over and turned them into what they now are?
Have we been invaded by aliens wanting to turn our brains to mush, so they can conquer us?
Wha??
I often wondered the same thing. The History Channel, I would guess that their ratings took a big hit doing actual history. Not enough history lovers to support the channel without changes I would guess. Probably same for the Discovery Channel. Shows like dogfights, mail call, and man moment machine were awesome IMO. Though I have to admit I do like some of their shows, even though they are out of place just don't like them as much as the old ones. Every time they had something on about WWII or the Civil War I would become a couch potato .
Old January 17, 2014, 04:52 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

A&E & T&A....

I can recall when "Arts & Entertainment" had classical music concerts and ballet!
Now, in the 2010s, it's Dog & Beth chasing "meth-billies" thru Walmart parting lots.

Basic cable & network TV isn't the high cultural forum of American society.
"If it bleeds, it leads!" is the mantra of the current US broadcast TV/media.

"Reality" TV is staged & sometimes fake. Smart viewers or consumers can tell that.

Clyde
Old January 18, 2014, 12:09 AM   #20
oldcabin

The really troubling part is how popular the reality shows are, and how many people watch, and how now it's considered part of our culture. I don't know that most people realize it's not real.
As owners and enthusiasts we know that perception can be bad for us.
Flip through a couple channels during primetime... the Jerry Springer stuff is the norm now.
Old January 18, 2014, 01:04 AM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It's also disappointing that the networks can't come up with more original ideas.

How many "Real Housewives of ___" shows are there now? And, of course, NONE of them are real. Does anyone actually watch that trash? I can't even tolerate the ads for those shows.
Old January 18, 2014, 02:24 AM   #22
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
...I can recall when "Arts & Entertainment" had classical music concerts and ballet!
Now, in the 2010s, it's Dog & Beth chasing "meth-billies" thru Walmart parting lots...
Which means that enough folks didn't watch that stuff but watch what's on those channels now.

In the final analysis, that's what's really sad.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old January 18, 2014, 03:01 AM   #23
Sierra280

^^^there it is. We all have hobbies; why waste life listening to nonsense!? (That goes for you talk radio guys as well, it's listed as 'entertainment,' not 'news,' FYI).

The only 'real' I got last year was about the wild fire evac warnings near my house, everything else was pretty much inconsequential.
Old January 18, 2014, 03:38 AM   #24
ClydeFrog

Duck Commander...

What's strange to me is that the Duck Dynasty crew was actually on another "unscripted" TV series for the Outdoor Channel first!

That show wasn't as staged or hokey. The family(Phil, Sy, Willie, etc) hunted, shot guns, rode ATVs, etc just without any humor or schtick.
Old January 18, 2014, 08:59 PM   #25
Bultaco

A close friend of mine was into the Y2K stash thing. He asked me what I was going to do if the threat turned out to be real. He hunts some but isn't really into guns.
I told him if the civilization broke down I would bring my weapons to his place and offer to establish a perimeter for him if he shared his food stash with me. It never occurred to him that people would come to take it away from him.