The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old June 15, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1
bsbllrooster10

Drill to keep focus on front sight

Recently I have found myself focusing on the target instead of my front sight. Does anyone have any drills that really focus in on focusing on the front sight?

Thanks
Old June 15, 2010, 05:21 PM   #2
kraigwy

One way, is to pretend your front sight is on a lever, Your trigger is on the other end of the lever. What you want to do is use your trigger to slide your front sight to the real of the pistol/revolver.

If you concentrate on both the trigger and front sight, it actually looks like you are sliding the front sight to the rear of the pistol/revolver.

Of course we know its not coming back, but what is happening, you are concentration on the front sight to see if it moves. Doing so makes the front sight Cear and Sharp, makes it look bigger, giving the illusion that it is really sliding back.

Its hard to beat hours and hours of dry firing,

Another ideal is to turn the target around so you are looking at the back.

Put the front sight into the center of the clear, white square. You dont have anything else to look at so you look at your front sight.

Try that, the after shooting, take the target down and look at the bull. You'd be supprised how tight the group is.

While doing this, and dryfiring, remember the first ideal, keep trying to slide the front sight back with the trigger.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 15, 2010, 05:35 PM   #3
bsbllrooster10

Thanks kraigwy! You have some great tips there. I guess I should clarify. My primary focus is in terms of uspsa shooting. Shooting slowly at one target I dont have many problems but when engaging multiple targets is when I start looking the "A" zone instead of the front sight. Especially double taps since that is how one engages most of the standard uspsa cardboard targets. I find my focal point remaining stationary on the "A" zone and waiting for my front sight to bounce back on target and then I press the trigger.
Old June 15, 2010, 08:10 PM   #4
saltydog452

Some time ago PPC shooters had the same concerns. Seems that a lot of the competitors were looking/glancing at the ragged hole in the target rather than the front sight. Takes a brief moment for the eyes to shift gears and change focus back and forth.

A quick fix was to change the sights to where the correct sight alignment was centered on the neck of the target, but the groups were printing in the 'X' well below the line of sight.

I'm told that today's crop of super competitors don't need POI lower than POA to maintain concentration.

Don't know.

salty