The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 10, 2013, 11:47 AM   #101
FairWarning

It's my decision, not the govt's.

The govt can of course limit things in underhanded ways, but the practical reality of paying centerfire+ prices for mere .22 LR is enough to keep me from buying for quite some time.
Old November 12, 2013, 01:53 AM   #102
BuckRub

None ya -none ya business.
Old November 12, 2013, 07:22 PM   #103
bbqbob51

I don't really know if this is too much but I don't think so. Most of what I have I bought over the past several years, haven't picked up much in the last several months. I did find 2100 rounds of Federal Champion in a metal ammo case at Cabelas for $99 about a month ago.

22LR: 7600
22MAG: 180
9MM: 1820 (80 HP)
38SPL: 1020 (50 HP)
.357MAG: 400 (100 HP)
.223: 900
20GA: 160 (35 BUCK)

TOTAL: 12,080 TOTAL ROUNDS

When I hear that somebody has over 80,000 rounds of .22lr, it does occur to me that that might be a bit much.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:03 PM   #104
Justice06RR

There is really no such thing as "too much" ammo. It's all personal preference and comfort level.

Many new shooters will only have a box or 2 of ammo on hand. I remember only having a box of Federal 9mm at a time during my first year as a shooter, but there was also no panic/shortage at the time.

Now, I think less than 3k of ammo is low...

I think in general, the more you shoot and the more guns you own, the more ammo is required to have stockpiled. The only limit is your budget and the availability of ammo.
Old November 13, 2013, 07:17 AM   #105
Kimio

Frankly, I'd say there really isn't any limit to how much ammo one needs. It's about what is practical for that individual person, and that is based on how often they go out to the range. I'm sure Jerry Miculek has a very respectable stockpile of ammo and reloading components seeing as he's actively shooting on a near weekly if not daily basis.

If I had my way, I'd have an entire sheds worth of ammunition stockpiled, and would likely be making an order or two each and every month of my favorite calibers.
Old November 13, 2013, 11:05 PM   #106
Levant

Quote:
When I hear that somebody has over 80,000 rounds of .22lr, it does occur to me that that might be a bit much.
See, there is the problem. So many believe that what they have is OK but what someone else has is too much. Like I posted in a previous post, now we're just negotiating price.

I am working hard to remember that liberty is absolute. As soon as you accept reasonable infringement on a right then you accept that a right can be infringed.

If you want to own 80,000 rounds of every caliber you shoot, I support your right and will fight to defend it. Even if it's too much for me, it's not too much.
Old November 13, 2013, 11:08 PM   #107
Levant

Quote:
If I had my way, I'd have an entire sheds worth of ammunition stockpiled, and would likely be making an order or two each and every month of my favorite calibers.
Do you think that, had they had the manufacturing capacity then that we have now, people in the 1700s would have had sheds of ammunition stockpiled?

I think they would definitely have.
Old November 13, 2013, 11:08 PM   #108
kilimanjaro

I think my milsurps and Ruger No. 1s add up to about 20 different calibers. Just a hundred rounds on the shelf for each of them is 2,000 rounds.

It's nobody's business how much ammo anyone else had, has, or intends to get, or where and how he bought it, as long as he didn't steal it.

Every reloader I know has at least 5,000 primers, several pounds of powder, boxes and bags of bullets, and bins of brass. Is that OK?
Old November 13, 2013, 11:17 PM   #109
Chaz88

Quote:
Every reloader I know has at least 5,000 primers, several pounds of powder, boxes and bags of bullets, and bins of brass. Is that OK?
I hope so! Although I could use more of all of those things in one application or another. The only thing I think I have more than enough of is .38 brass, if I was going to put a number on it I would use pounds.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 13, 2013, 11:30 PM   #110
Levant

Want to clear out that .38 brass?
Old November 13, 2013, 11:40 PM   #111
Chaz88

Quote:
Want to clear out that .38 brass?
I might be persuaded to trade some for .357

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 13, 2013, 11:55 PM   #112
SocialAnarchist

Look, I honestly don't care how much ammunition anyone wants to have, it is a personal choice.

Before prices went insane I used to buy a brick or 2 of .22 every pay check, occasionally other calibers as needed. I never had thousands of round of ammo on hand but I had what I felt was adequate for my needs. Even today I buy a few boxes when I have some extra money, but I am never the guy waiting at the door of the (insert store name here) for them to stock the shelves so I can empty them. I buy most often at 2 locally owned gun stores, and a couple of hardware stores that sell guns. Their prices are great, the availability has been good, other than .22lr, AND they are a part of the local community so the money stays here.

Again, I am not judging anyone or what they do, just explaining what I do. Yes, I have some ammo on hand. How much? None of your business.

Last edited by SocialAnarchist; November 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old November 14, 2013, 12:02 AM   #113
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I am working hard to remember that liberty is absolute. As soon as you accept reasonable infringement on a right then you accept that a right can be infringed.
It's also important to remember that society can and does limit rights by legislation if a sufficient percentage of its members perceive a need for such limitations.

In other words, given the reality that we find ourselves in, it makes sense to keep in mind that if what we do frustrates enough people, they can make sure we stop doing it--or at least that we face legal penalties if we continue.
Old November 14, 2013, 12:24 AM   #114
Levant

Quote:
It's also important to remember that society can and does limit rights by legislation if a sufficient percentage of its members perceive a need for such limitations.
There's a big dose of reality. The Constitution clearly forbids most of those limits but, you are right, they happen. So we need to always be diligent to exercise and defend rights absolutely - even those with which we don't agree or even when we think the target of some rights violation deserves it because the person is particularly offensive to us. Always defend liberty and rights.
Old November 14, 2013, 07:49 PM   #115
berettaprofessor

Quote:
If someone wants enough to make a two foot thick carpet of ammo on the floor that they can roll around in, yelling, "Bullets! Bullets!" at the top of their lungs, well--more power (or should that be powder) to them as well.

And what a picture that brings to mind! Oh how I wish it were me.
Old November 15, 2013, 09:39 PM   #116
Glenn E. Meyer

Modern versions of Smaug would have such a horde. Get a ring of power and get some ammo.

Sorry
Old November 16, 2013, 07:51 AM   #117
spacecoast

Quote:
I hope so too... I'd feel desperately short of supplies if I was down to the above-mentioned levels. In our defense, the ridiculous hazmat fees associated with purchases compel us to buy large quantities.
Old November 17, 2013, 04:20 AM   #118
gyvel

When I had the money, I would buy large quantities of ammo. The idea was to accumulate enough to last me for the rest of my life (which isn't a whole lot now). I bought heavy and cheap, and now I can sit back and be thankful that I did, given today's prices and scarcity.
Old November 17, 2013, 06:51 AM   #119
Shadow9mm

This I probably so far down nobody will ever read it. Here is my take. Personally I try and have 1 year supply of each caliber on hand based on my normal usage per month. That way if there is an interruption in supply, i can keep shooting like normal. Generally I try and get to the range twice a month, in times of shortage perhaps once a month to extend my supply. Ideally i would like to have a 2-3 year supply on hand at all times but for now a 1 year supply has been hard enough to maintain.

here's a breakdown of what I try and keep on hand

9mm, 50rnds per session, 100 a month, 1200 per year
5.56x54r, 40rnds per session, 80rnds a month, 960 per year
22lr, 550 per session, 1100 per month, 1320 per year
Old November 17, 2013, 08:03 PM   #120
Navy joe

I've said it before, my goal when .22LR returns to normal is that my descendants will comment that I sure bought a lot of ammo in between seeing family members off to colonize other solar systems. At one time I was shooting 3-5 nights a week and not reloading, so once my stashed reloads ran low it was near exclusively .22. I got a 5K case of some good quality stuff for $90, it lasted a little more than a month. In my childless single days there was always a case of PMC .45 in my trunk, ran through it like a democrat through lies. So, the 27,000 rounds in the OP is what I call a good start.

I only have 6500 rounds of 5.45 left, need to stock up while the cheap stuff is in. I have 2400 rounds of GP-11, new boxer cases, bullets and such to feed bolt action rifles and I still need more.

Too much ammo is said only when moving during divorce or when your house is on fire. Don't combine the two, it looks suspect.
Old November 17, 2013, 10:51 PM   #121
Ignition Override

I saw this enroute to starting the topic on buying ammo vs. another gun (a second handgun?).

Does the 12-Step Recovery program begin only after one has twelve thousand rds. of centerfire rifle ammo?
A friend has over 31,000 rds. of centerfire rifle ammo. I've seen most of it and the purpose was to have a lifetime supply for when the (US) govt. increases import taxes or blocks imports from certain countries, along with risks of inflation/to the exchange rate.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 19, 2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old November 19, 2013, 07:34 PM   #122
Glenn E. Meyer

You will stop your addiction to buying 22 LR when you acknowledge a higher power.

Buy 45 ACP.

Sure you should have as much as you want. Are there amounts where you start to look a bit off? Probably - if the amount disrupts the normal functioning of your life and those who depend on you - that would be a clinical criterion.
Old November 20, 2013, 06:49 PM   #123
Glockstar .40

no such thing as too much. if ammo had an expiration date and an individual had 80,000 rounds and only shot 40,000 before they expired I might feel different. but since no expiration date exists who am I to say 80,000 22lr is too much for someone else?
Old November 20, 2013, 08:24 PM   #124
pathdoc

I don't give a damn how much loaded ammo you have, but as for the components I'd want to be sure you weren't inadvertently storing up vast quantities of trouble in the wrong kind of confined space.

I wouldn't mind a visit from a federal Somebody so long as what they had to tell me prevented such a disaster from taking place & gave me help complying with reasonable safety standards, rather than shafting me on the spot for not meeting someone's bureaucratic absurdity.
Old November 20, 2013, 08:54 PM   #125
22-rimfire

I would mind a vist from some "federal" regardless of whether or not I was storing ammunition or components properly. It is none of their business. Period.
Closed Thread