The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Smit

1911 Upgrades

Just wondering what other people do with their configurations.
What are some good replacement/upgrade parts people recommend with their 1911's?
Mainly, I would like to have back-up parts and peices for my 1911 in case they are needed later. I've heard some people change parts with their 1911's as soon as they purchase a new one due to preference. Only thing I have changed thus far on mine is a Wolff recoil spring. Thanks,
Old August 21, 2012, 07:36 AM   #2
TacticalDefense1911

EGW, Cylinder & Slide, Ed Brown and Wilson Combat all make excellent parts.

Its always good to have one or two replacement extractors on hand that you have already had installed in your gun once to set tension and function check just in case you break one. Makes for a quick swap. Other than that I wouldn't mess with anything unless its broken or you want to swap for personal preference, like an ambi safety or a different slide stop.

Smit, what 1911 do you have?
Old August 21, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3
drail

Don't even consider making parts changes until you have shot it for a while, say at least 1000 rounds. Then you'll know what you don't like about it or any function problems it may have. A properly set up 1911 that has been tuned for reliability doesn't really need anything modifications other than a good trigger, sights you can see and lots of practice ammo. Spend your money on these things and don't listen to all the folks that tell you that you "need" this part or that part. I would buy spare recoil springs and keep on hand and maybe experiment with different grips. You want grips that will keep the gun from moving in your hand.
Old August 21, 2012, 07:45 AM   #4
moxie

If it doesn't already have one, consider getting a beavertail. Better grip and doesn't bite.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old August 21, 2012, 07:48 AM   #5
drail

Agreed. But a proper one will require some work (money) to fit to the frame. A good beavertail will allow you to get your hand up higher on the gun for more control and shoot the gun all day long without having a sore hand the next day. Amazingly some people are able to shoot a 1911 with the standard grip safety and never get bit by the hammer.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:21 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

1911 series after-market parts & custom choices...

I'd start by ordering a recent printed version of Brownells great 1911 pistol parts catalog. They list many parts & brands.
Most savvy 1911-1911a1 shooters replace the grips, the barrel, the springs(Wolff), the grip safety, the hammer(I like the rounded Cdr type or the Ti compact type).
To get a few Wilson Combat magazines, night sights(3 dot) & a S&A ambi mag release would round it out. Some add a meld(smooth-rounded edges), barrel throating-polish feed ramp(for JHP rounds), and a heavy duty extractor.

For barrels, see Bar-Sto Precision, KKM, Storm Lake, Jarvis. These match grade barrels are highly rated.
Ed Brown, Chip McCormick, 10-8 Performance, Cylinder-Slide.com are all known for great 1911/1911a1 model parts. Fail-Zero has a few high tech items too.

CF
Old August 21, 2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smit
I've heard some people change parts with their 1911's as soon as they purchase a new one due to preference.
Some people do that. Unless it's a used pistol, I see no sense whatsoever in buying a pistol that does NOT have what you want, then spending more money to change out brand new parts to replace with other brand new parts.

I have replaced parts on a couple of used pistols, but that was because I got them for good prices but previous owners had done the above and I wanted to return the pistols to stock configuration.
Old August 21, 2012, 11:05 AM   #8
RickB

Quote:
I see no sense whatsoever in buying a pistol that does NOT have what you want,
There isn't a 1911 made that has what I want. For some reason, there's a bigger market for guns that all look alike, than there is for guns with unique configurations. The two new kids on the block, Ruger and Remington, have come out with new models that are essentially identical to 100 other models already available.
Old August 21, 2012, 11:40 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

i like the wilson combat drop in stuff. pretty easy to do yourself.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 21, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Denezin

One i would recommend is a speedbump beavertail grip safety and if it only has slim gi sights then i would change it to a enlarged front sight and for target shooting then get a good target sight to the rear and if for carry then a novak style rear sight. thats it really other than that it should be good unless its not setup to feed jhp for sd or your reloading and saving your brass.
Old August 21, 2012, 12:00 PM   #11
cuba

Forget all that stuff , what you really need is a good Dremel so you can make it mo-better

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Old August 21, 2012, 12:40 PM   #12
drail

Forget about "drop in" parts. There is no such thing on a 1911 or any firearm. It might drop in but if it doesn't really bad things can happen if you don't know what you're doing. There is far too much tolerance slop in mass produced guns for a parts maker to make one that will fit all of them.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Whirlwind06

Invest in some good magazines.
I always liked the MetalForm with the bump on the follower.
I think Checkmate makes them as well.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:01 PM   #14
loose_holster_dan

even the wilson combat "drop-in" isn't truly and drop and go. it requires some filing, but they end up being much closer to factory specs if you get them for the right model. hammer, sear, and spring required no work. the trigger needed some filing, and the trigger bow needed some bending. granted, this was for a carry piece, so i didn't want anything crazy light. if i had wanted a real touch sear, it would have required some tuning, but this one was still lighter than the stock in my colt defender.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 21, 2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

SIG 1911 XO - Nothing

Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model - Nothing

Springfield Mil-Spec - Beaver tail, flat mainspring housing, combat hammer, flat trigger, and a (much regretted) finish of Cerakote in black. Nothing really is a "drop in" had to refinish it.
Old August 21, 2012, 04:03 PM   #16
Chesster

All my 1911*s are pretty much stock. I will add an ambi safety or new grips if for carry. The most expensive production piece I have is the Springfield Loaded although I confess I like the much less expensive RIA Tactical. My BHPs usually get more aftermarket treatment than 1911*s.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old August 21, 2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Bamashooter

I like my para just like it sits. Its accurate and reliable. Everything works. Why spend a butt load of money on upgrade parts? Buy ammo and shoot the darn thing. Keeping up with the Jones' can get expensive.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:59 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
There isn't a 1911 made that has what I want. For some reason, there's a bigger market for guns that all look alike, than there is for guns with unique configurations.
That's not my perception. I much prefer "no frills" pistols, but with visible sights, and despite all the manufacturers out there (almost all of whom offer a a variety of different models and options), there are almost none that fit this simple criterion. Fortunately, the exception is the Colt 1991 series, and that's available in a true Commander size, so I am not reduced to having to choose among guns to see which offers the fewest undesirable "enhancements."

For probably 98.73 percent of buyers, there's a 1911 already available from somebody that comes equipped with the desired bells and whistles. It makes far better sense to buy it that way than to buy something you don't like and then start throwing parts at it.

YMMV.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; August 21, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old August 21, 2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Kreyzhorse

What kind of 1911 is it? That might help with some suggestions.

With that, until you have put a lot of ammo down range, I wouldn't change any thing until you live with what you have for a while.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Micahweeks

I'm no 1911 guru, but I'd pick up good mags before anything else followed by grips if yours aren't working for you. Aside from that, I wouldn't mess with it too much.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:41 PM   #21
Smit

The 1911 I have is a S&W E Series non-rail. I have had less than desirable results with it thus far since I bought it. I liked it because of ratings I saw boasted excellent accuracy, which is very true in my experience. The reliability, however, has been less than desirable which has left me having a hard time "trusting" it if I was in a bad situation.
Granted, there are many variables that are hard to pinpoint but as I am approaching (my best guess) the 1,000 round mark I grow a bit restless.

I have sent it in already to have it fixed for feeding issues, which S&W did an excellent job returning the pistol in a very timely fashion. I recently bought a Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mag so I just need a few more range trips to see if that does indeed completely fix the problem.
Now, I have heard that accuracy in 1911's can affect reliability as it requires very tight fittings, etc.. Would I rather have a sloppier, less than accurate 1911 which was close to 100% reliable? Yes.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:41 PM   #22
KyJim

As far as "extra" parts on hand, forget the extractor since SW uses an external extractor and the only way to get a new one is to send it into the factory for service. That is one reason I do not own one. You might want a couple of recoil springs, firing pin spring, and mainspring on hand. These are normal wear items that are handy to have on hand.

I'm not one to drop in parts just to do so. For me personally, I might consider a shorter trigger or thin grips and grip screw bushings because my hands are small. Other than that, I usually buy guns with the features I want or at least don't mind. As others have mentioned, put enough rounds through it to make sure you want to change something.
Old August 22, 2012, 02:36 PM   #23
Denezin

"Now, I have heard that accuracy in 1911's can affect reliability as it requires very tight fittings, etc.. Would I rather have a sloppier, less than accurate 1911 which was close to 100% reliable? Yes."

It is true that target 1911s are at tighter tolerances. If its a carry gun then yeah a little looser tolerances wont hurt accuracy too bad but should make it more reliable. But if its a target gun and you want the up most accuracy dont do a thing to it in terms of making it looser.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:12 AM   #24
WVsig

If you are still having issues send it back to S&W... They will make it right. More 1911s have been ruined by people changing out parts without the knowledge of how to do it right. Get yourself a spring kit and maybe a mainspring besides that I cannot think of a part you need on hand.

I personally would not change anything until you get more time on the gun. Accuracy really is an overrated term IMHO. Most gun especially 1911s are more accurate out of the box than the person shooting them. It's the Indian not the arrow/bow that is the weak link in the chain.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:37 AM   #25
Don P

Never understood why folks want to fix something that isn't broke. Make the changes when stuff wears out or breaks.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.