The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2000, 08:24 AM   #1
Guyon

About six years ago, when I began to get interested in guns, I took a closer look at the Browning Belgian over-under that had belonged to my father. He used the gun primarily for quail hunting, and it was in good shape. However, since it had been stored for some time, the barrel had developed some very light rusting in a few spots.

I didn't know much about guns at the time, and I didn't know about Flitz. (It may not have even been around then.) So I took the advice of an uncle and used some 0000 steel wool to lightly brush away the rust spots after letting them soak in WD40 for a bit. The rust is gone, and I've kept the gun cleaned and oiled since then. However, the very light bluing that characterized the gun is gone in those spots as well.

My question is this. What is the best way to get this gun restored to its original blue? I realize it is an expensive shotgun, and since it belonged to my father, I don't want to take any chances of either messing it up or losing it (i.e. sending it away to be reblued). Can most competent gunsmiths handle hot blueing? In order to match the pale blue color on the rest of the gun, am I going to have to send it to Browning? What does a blueing usually cost?
Old November 21, 2000, 07:21 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Can't help you on the bluing, Guyon, but maybe you'd get better info posting this on the Smithy Forum...