The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2010, 08:38 PM   #1
ferrarif1fan

Don't reload casings with sealed primers

I started reloading 9mm on my new Lee Pro 1000 about two weeks ago. I decided to do a couple hundred rounds this morning. Every so often, I'd have a case where the primer either wouldn't want to seat or would nearly get smashed going into the primer pocket. I put all of these cases aside to deal with after I was done. When I did get finished reloading, I began to notice that only two brands of cases were giving me any problems. They were labeled "WCC" and "POF." Then I noticed that both of them had the red sealer around the primer pocket. Not only was it a bitch to try to pop the primers out of these cases, but rarely did a new primer get seated properly. So after having made this discovery, I sorted through all my brass that's ready to reload and got rid of these two brands and any others that had the red sealer showing around the old primer. I thought I'd share the info here to try to save some others the grief. I'm anticipating that my next round of reloading should go much more smoothly now.

Robert
Old February 13, 2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Qtiphky

Don't throw them away

You can still reload them, they just need the primer pockets swaged before you put the new primers in. There are special tools for that purpose. They aren't very expensive and work very well.
Old February 13, 2010, 08:45 PM   #3
m.p.driver

They have a military crimp to keep the primer from backing out.You can swage the crimp out.I have an attachment from RCBS that fits in the place of the deprimer and you just run it into the primer pocket.
Old February 13, 2010, 08:47 PM   #4
plainsman456

They were crimped in.Some crimped primers can be a bear to get out.
I use a universal depriming die for these cases.I have a lyman and rcbs die and they work.
Old February 13, 2010, 09:26 PM   #5
ferrarif1fan

Thanks for all the replies...

I completely understand what you're saying and am glad everyone brought this point up for other reloaders. For me however, I'll probably just keep sorting. I scrounge my brass for free from the range, so it's easier to toss it than to have to do extra steps just to use it.

Thanks again!

Robert
Old February 13, 2010, 09:28 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

i have actually used the chamfer tool for the rifle brass necks to put a small bevel on those primer pockets and it usually works fine... i too do some range pickup..but im too much of a penny pincher to just toss em out.
Old February 13, 2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Randy 1911

Most of the cases that are for the military have crimped in primers. It is not that hard to remove the crimp. There are plenty of tools to remove the crimp. From to cheap to expensive. It depends on how many you have to do that detrimines how much you want to spend. but you get what you pay for. I tried a few of the cheaper ones but was not happy with the results so I sprang for a Dillon Super Swage 600, It was the easyest way to remove crimps that I know of.
Old February 14, 2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Sunstealer

Once you remove the crimp though, they reload like any other case from there on. So, it is just a little work really. I would keep them rather than tossing.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

NOT all "sealed" primers are crimped!

It has been my experience that a sealed primer gives no trouble when de -capping or re- priming.

However, as already mentioned, crimped cased need to have the primer pocket reamed or swadged before seating a new promer.

BUT!!!!!!!!!, don't throw the baby out with the bath water just because the primer is sealed. Only the crimped ones should need the extra step.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old February 14, 2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Hammonje

That would be called a crimped primer pocket. Use a chamfer/deburring tool to remove crimp. A few turns of the RCBS tool does the trick. Lee tool works too but not as sharp.
Old February 14, 2010, 10:35 PM   #11
garryc

I just use a little pen knife
Old February 14, 2010, 10:38 PM   #12
zxcvbob

S&B brass is the same way, even without the primers being sealed or crimped. But if you chamfer or swage the primer pockets (you only have to do this once) it is very good brass. HTH
Old February 15, 2010, 12:28 PM   #13
uncyboo

Did your handloading manual not tell you about crimped primers? That's why many will tell you to get a manual from a reputable manufacturer (Speer, Hornady, Sierra, etc.) and read it. Then read it again before you ever resize the first piece of brass.
Old February 15, 2010, 01:43 PM   #14
johnjohn

Thats like throwing money away. It's easy enough to get that crimp outt'a there.
Old February 15, 2010, 05:06 PM   #15
howlnmad

I have a countersink, from my wood shop, chucked up in my drill press. it does a wonderful job. Just my .02 worth.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:41 PM   #16
nhm90

I ran into the same problems with my S&B brass. Clean up the primer pockets and you should be fine.