The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 15, 2012, 03:55 AM   #1
micksis86

Which Leupold 1-4x20 Scope

I want to get a 1-4x20 scope for my marlin 1894 44 magnum and i'm trying to decide between a Leupold VX-R, Mark 4 AR or a VX 2.

My current circumstances mean that I can't really try all three in the shop so I'm looking for some first hand information.

The reason I said Leupold is that I've got a few of them and i've been very happy with them. However if anyone has any suggestions for a similar scope of a similar price of another brand I'm all ears.

Thanks.
Old July 15, 2012, 07:18 AM   #2
kimbershot

depends on your budget. had a vari 11 for a number of years that was mounted on a 30-06, shotgun and ar. reticule loosened up so i sent it for service--they sent me a brandy new one no questions asked--warranted for life.
Old July 15, 2012, 07:32 AM   #3
micksis86

Well so far as I can tell, the Mark 4 AR and VX2 are pretty similar in price and the VXR is about $150 more (roughly).

Is the Mark 4 a better quality scope than the VX2?
Old July 15, 2012, 08:11 AM   #4
jmr40

I've a VX-1 on my AR and it works just fine. The VX-2 is all the scope I could ever imagine I'd need. The higher end scopes are better, I have VX-3's and both Zeiss Conquest and Diavari scopes on other rifles. While they are better, they are not enough better to justify the expense over a $300 VX-2, to me.
Old July 16, 2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Scorch

With the VX-R, you are paying about $150 for the illuminated reticle. Do you really need it? Otherwise, jsut get a VX-2.
Old July 16, 2012, 10:03 PM   #6
sholling

Just keep in mind that not all of Leupold's 1-4x scopes are true 1x. Leupold has a bad habit of fudging the low end of the range magnification numbers for their scopes for marketing purposes and putting the correct (closer to correct?) numbers in the fine print of their website. If you desire true 1x you'll want to eyeball the scope yourself.

Just as another option for that fine little rifle an 8.5oz 9" long Weaver Classic V3 1-3x20 would be a great choice. They have good quality optics and are built like tanks but can be had cheap on sale. What I like besides the bright and clear fully muilticoated optics is that it's a true 1x for both eyes open shooting. No they aren't in the same class as a VX-2 but don't let the price fool you it's a good scope and it's plenty of scope for a 44mag.

The Nikon Monarch based M-223 1-4x20 is another great option for about $290. Nikon also has a Monarch African 1-4x20 dangerous game scope but I have not tested one for true 1x.

Weaver has their upscale Super Slam (about on par with a VX-3) 1-5x24 dangerous game scope for about $410-500 depending on where you buy it. Note I have not yet looked through one of these and I'm not sure if they are true 1x but I've used Super Slams.

Last edited by sholling; July 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old July 17, 2012, 01:46 AM   #7
bamaranger

no question

I'd pick the VX-2 in a heartbeat. My experience with Leupold has been nothing but first rate. I'll also pass along a story.

A friend who is an avid shooter had a fire, very tragic story. The expected water, heat and steam damage. His Leupolds came through it it useable shape. No other optics did.

I cannot say what the new Weaver, or Nikons service is like. But Leupold will fix or mod a scope for you PDQ and not charge too much in the porcess.

A Vari X II 1-4x with a Leupold installed German #1 reticle sets on my Mini-30.
Old July 17, 2012, 05:56 AM   #8
mehavey

As mentioned in another forum, I recommend Leupold's Mark AR series. *

Minimal weight/dimensions
1X is de rigueur for close-in/wide-scan/fast-reaction work.
4X is about optimal for 200yd max work

*(postscript: $299)

Last edited by mehavey; July 17, 2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old July 17, 2012, 05:59 AM   #9
micksis86

Thanks for all your help guys, I will look into the Weaver and probably the VX 2.
As mentioned i don't really need the illuminated reticle.

Thanks again.