The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 27, 2005, 11:39 AM   #1
Rojoe67

Crosman 760-c questions?

I took my son out to practice with his Crosman 760 yesterday. After thousands of shots and 14 years, it told us in so many technical ways it was tired. I took it apart to find a total mish mash of parts. I was able to figure out the whole set up but wondered if anyone knows if a schematic is available? I did email Crosman and hope to get a manual in 7-10 days. I can deal with this wait but a young fella is not enjoying his down time.
The only problem I seem to run into is the cocking-feed lever at the top and it's action and if or how the lower springs and trigger mechanisms play into the workings? I think I can keep working the puzzle but I thought I would check with you guys first. Thanks in advance...... Happy Easter

Last edited by Rojoe67; March 27, 2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old March 27, 2005, 01:42 PM   #2
chris in va

Honestly, you may want to look at getting another airgun. The 760 Powermaster is good for starters but after owning two of them I found it just isn't accurate at all. A couple years ago I bought this nice breakbarrel made by Marksman that is insanely accurate out to 90 yards or so, and it only cost about $75 if I remember right. This is a similar model made by Gamo although mine is about 700fps...

http://www.gamo-airguns.com/air-rifle-hunter440.htm

I also have the 1000fps Gamo Shadow but it isn't as accurate for some reason. With the big 10.5grain pellets it'll smack 2 liter bottles hard. Very satisfying.

Oh, and he may like just breaking the barrel once vs. pumping up several times.
Old March 27, 2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Rojoe67

Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris......... I Will Check It Out..... But I Must Admit The Puzzle Is Fun Too.....
Old March 27, 2005, 11:40 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Airguns are surprisingly hard to work on...

That level of airgun isn't really meant to be serviced. When they wear out, just buy a new one. Or, if you want to go to the trouble, there's a good chance that the manufacturer will service or replace (more likely) it for you for free or at a discount if you send it to them.

If you get into the nicer models, there are airgunsmiths who can repair and tune them.
Old March 28, 2005, 06:56 PM   #5
Rojoe67

thanks folks..........

I did figure it out and put it all back together.....nothing broken nor missing.... It surprised me that it had screws to take it apart...... This model is mostly plastic and I guess that is why they are so cheap.......

It was a little puzzle but I got it and seems to work fine again. Just told my son to give it the feather treatment.....not sure how long it will continue.