The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old August 15, 2011, 12:35 AM   #26
2amencw

best of both worlds

If you like the aesthetics of the Mini and the versatility of the ar how about the Kel Tec Su 16. I have had two, a Bravo and a CA model, Love them both. Good reliability, accurate, versatile and good price if you look .
Old August 15, 2011, 02:20 AM   #27
ghalleen

I love both the AR and the Mini. (fwiw, I love just about ALL guns!)

Both are great to shoot. Get the one you want.
Old August 15, 2011, 07:37 AM   #28
Crosshair

Quote:
How easy is it to swap parts on the mini 14? AR has it beat.

How about a cowitnessing red dot? Again AR.
You're moving the goalposts. The statement I was responding to wsa "you cant "upgrade" or accessorize the Ruger quite as easily as an AR. " You're trying to change the subject to overlook one of the biggest design flaws of the AR, the inability to take a folding stock.

Swapping parts on a Mini? Easy enough to do if you if you can do basic home repairs without hurting yourself, though why you would need to or want to is beyond me once you go beyond basic things like "trigger job" and "replace gas bushing". I don't have a desire to shoot 52 different calibers through my Mini so the ability to swap uppers is moot.

Cowitnessing a red dot? Get a Ultimak Rail or an Aimtech Scout Rail for the Mini if you HAVE to have co-witnessing. Otherwise just get quick detach rings since with today's Red-dots, if they go down they are almost certainly broken and you'll have to take it off anyway.

You seem to be just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Quote:
I really wish Ruger would man up and make a new version that takes AR mags,
Honestly, one of the selling points of the Mini is that it DOESN'T take AR mags. Mini mags may be more expensive, but you only have to buy them once. In the past they were scarce and VERY expensive making it a legitimate gripe against the Mini, but now that is no longer the case. They are somewhere between AK mags and AR mags in terms of durability.
Old August 15, 2011, 07:57 AM   #29
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Minis Run

I have a SS/Syn Mini Ranch and as long as you don't insist on bullets going through the same hole , it will get it done ! I have never had any use for the M-16 platform since they took away my M-14 and handed me one , when I really needed a real weapon !
Old August 15, 2011, 09:14 AM   #30
tobnpr

Ruger (factory) 30 round mags, $25 at Hoffman's Gun Center...
Cheeep.
Old August 15, 2011, 09:52 AM   #31
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The Mini isn't a target rifle nor a good choice for prairie dogs. But for hunting jackrabbits and coyotes, it's plenty good. I always put a Weaver K4 on my various Minis.

They are noted for reliability, so they're as good for self-defense as any other rifle using a .223 cartridge. I've never heard of any rifle of any sort which won't shoot into minute of torso at self-defense distances.

My Minis typically put the first couple of shots within an inch of where I intended to hit. Quite often a typical three-shot group was around 1.5 MOA. After that, the skinny barrel of an early model would "walk" a bit and the groups would open up. That's irrelevant to the needs of a hunter, and doesn't really matter in casual plinking.
Old August 15, 2011, 11:34 AM   #32
Technosavant

Quote:
Honestly, one of the selling points of the Mini is that it DOESN'T take AR mags. Mini mags may be more expensive, but you only have to buy them once. In the past they were scarce and VERY expensive making it a legitimate gripe against the Mini, but now that is no longer the case. They are somewhere between AK mags and AR mags in terms of durability.
My only knock against the Mini's mags is the more cumbersome change. Granted, I haven't practiced it much, but it's just never going to be as easy as an AR or even an AK. But yes, the Mini mags are much stronger. Not quite "use an empty to beat your enemy into submission" that you get with the AK, but they have a much more substantial feel. You don't get the idea that they're fragile, like you do with GI mags. Sure, Pmags, ARC mags, and the like have improved the STANAG situation, but I'd expect a Ruger Mini 14 magazine to be longer lived.

They are more expensive, but with STANAGs for the AR, you need to have several in case one goes down. With a Mini, you may only buy half as many, but that's still more than you'll need.
Old August 15, 2011, 12:23 PM   #33
Father Time

Quote:
You're moving the goalposts. The statement I was responding to wsa "you cant "upgrade" or accessorize the Ruger quite as easily as an AR. " You're trying to change the subject to overlook one of the biggest design flaws of the AR, the inability to take a folding stock.
Well my point was that anyone hand pick one or two features to make one rifle look better than the other.

By "moving the goalpost" I was making a point. I wasn't trying to argue ,I was just pointing out that anyone can make it look like one rifle is better than the other.

And as for folding stocks. Why would you want one on an AR when the telescoping stocks are generaly more solid.

Like I said chosing between the Mini 14 and the AR15 is more about what you want to do with the rifle.
Old August 15, 2011, 06:29 PM   #34
rdf.hack

AR-15: Lighter, dirtier, needs to be cleaned more often, bad for a lefty comp to Mini, cheaper and crappier magazines

Mini-14: Heavier, cleaner running, will run dry, easier for a lefty, better magazines, newer ones are just as accurate as an AR at the same price point

The thing with ARs is you can't go cheap, and they don't do well for swamp/woods hunting and requires more cleaning. The 30 round magazines and up also tend to malfunction due to poor magazine design, most you can only fit 28 rounds, lest the first few have issues. The gun is also subject to jamming easier with increased friction (i.e. if it is not lubed or very dirty) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JmIQXkoog8
Old August 15, 2011, 06:40 PM   #35
jmr40

Quote:
AR-15: Lighter, dirtier, needs to be cleaned more often, bad for a lefty comp to Mini, cheaper and crappier magazines

Mini-14: Heavier, cleaner running, will run dry, easier for a lefty, better magazines, newer ones are just as accurate as an AR at the same price point

The thing with ARs is you can't go cheap, and they don't do well for swamp/woods hunting and requires more cleaning. The 30 round magazines and up also tend to malfunction due to poor magazine design, most you can only fit 28 rounds, lest the first few have issues. The gun is also subject to jamming easier with increased friction (i.e. if it is not lubed or very dirty) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JmIQXkoog8
Having owned 4-5 Mini-14's as well as 4 AR's I've found the exact opposite to be true. If your AR has a brass deflector (most do) they are just as easy for lefty's as righty's
Old August 15, 2011, 06:51 PM   #36
rdf.hack

JMR40, not referring to brass, but safety position. I find when shooting lefty for fun, its easier to operate the safety on a mini than AR, which was obviously designed with righties in mind.
Old August 15, 2011, 07:24 PM   #37
Fishbed77

Quote:
JMR40, not referring to brass, but safety position. I find when shooting lefty for fun, its easier to operate the safety on a mini than AR, which was obviously designed with righties in mind.
Huhwhat? The AR platform is one of the most lefty-friendly platforms I can think of. The charging handle is ambidextrous, an ambi safty is easy to install, and the brass deflector keeps brass out of the face. I'm pretty sure there are options out their to add an ambi mag release as well.
Old August 15, 2011, 07:36 PM   #38
Father Time

If you use P-Mags or magazines with Magpul followers you can easly load 30 rounds into your magazines without fear of malfunction.
Old August 16, 2011, 06:25 AM   #39
zombieslayer

The Mini is what I prefer. The Ar's just don't do it for me.
If you want to have a rifle you can turn into an endless hobby the AR will keep you entertained. Folks love to play dress up with their AR. r
Old August 16, 2011, 07:08 AM   #40
skoro

Ruger Mini 14: Good AR alternative?

I think so.

I had extensive experience during my time in the military with the AR platform as the M-16a1. Very good rifle. Accurate out to 500 yards with open sights.

But I got myself a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle two years ago and have absolutely no regrets. I'm a fan of wooden stocks, so that was a factor in my decision.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:25 AM   #41
rickyrick

I make no apologies about my mini, I dont even feel bad that its the only rifle I don't keep in a case. I don't read it bedtime stories. I don't hang trinkets on it.

Well I do regret shooting it next to the rear window of the pickup truck... it was loud and the brass bouncing off of the glass really stung.

It's a good semi auto rifle with a classic military appearance, it really boils down to personal preference, but it is really dissimilar to the AR. They can accomplish pretty much the same function.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:30 AM   #42
Golfin Gator

When I knew that I wanted to buy a "zombie" rifle; I considered buying an AR for only a few minutes. I bought a mini 14 and never looked back.

I'm not much for accessorizing a gun once I get it and, for me, it was also about aesthetics. I like the look of the mini

The guy I bought it off of bought it new and had only put a hundred rounds or so through it. He told me he was "just an AR guy". I was good with that.

Too many of each type out there for one to be superior over the other. Like one of the above posters said, get what you want. Whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:42 AM   #43
Daekar

Based on your needs, I would think either should do the trick.

Personally, I would get a new Mini-14 in stainless and never look back. If you want to tacticool it up, you can, but it's a perfectly good rifle just off the rack.

Of course, they also make the Mini-30, which takes 7.62x39, and is like having a semi-auto 30-30 when you load soft-points (still very cheap). That's what I would get unless you needed the flat-shooting of the 223 for longer-range varmint stuff. How far away are you planning to take your varmint shots?
Old August 16, 2011, 02:30 PM   #44
.22lr

A salad will never be a steak.

My best friend sometimes does something that drives me nuts. My friend will want a steak, but order a salad because that's what people are "supposed to want". Dissapointment always follows.

You want a Mini? Get a Mini. Nothing else will satisfy you.

You secretly want an AR (for example) then getting a Mini will lead to dissapointment and vice versa.

Worry less, buy what you want.

VR

Matt P
Old August 16, 2011, 07:16 PM   #45
GONIF

If you like the Mini's looks and the price buy it. Just do not expect it to be as good in any way as an AR15. This is a never ending debate ,with the AR comming out on top every single time . PERFORMANCE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME . RESULTS ARE WHAT COUNTS .

Last edited by GONIF; August 16, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old August 16, 2011, 07:28 PM   #46
jimbob86

Quote:
Ruger (factory) 30 round mags, $25 at Hoffman's Gun Center...
Cheeep.
Magpul (P-Mags) 30 round mags, much less than $25 at ..... Near Ever'where .... much more economical.
Old August 16, 2011, 07:36 PM   #47
GONIF

Midway USA has all the 30 round Pmags you want for $14.20 all day long .
Old August 16, 2011, 07:37 PM   #48
sailskidrive

Mini

Hey the "A" Team and Bermuda National Defense Force both prefer the Mini.

If you want a handy rifle for around the farm or house at requires very little coddeling the Mini will do nicely, if you want a modern military grade firearm buy the AR. Wally World has the Mini for $547 here in MD.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old August 16, 2011, 10:36 PM   #49
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For use around a farm or as a truck gun for varmints, five- or ten-round mags make sense. All these 20s and 30s are for playing, not for serious use. Well, this side of a Rodney King riot, and we really don't have all that many of those. Nothing wrong with having them but don't take them seriously.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:51 PM   #50
Jim243

They do not keep their value, you could pick up a used one for about $250 to $300. Expensive and hard to find aftermarket magazines for them. The scope mount is not worth a darn and you need special rings to mount anything. Their accuracy is poor to non-existant and if you want to hit anything make sure they or it is close (50 yards or less). At one time they were the poor man's AR, but their prices have gone up and AR prices have come down.

Overall it is a poor investment. And nobody will argue with that.

Jim

Tags
.223 , ar15 , comparison , ruger mini 14 , semi auto