The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 26, 2000, 01:56 PM   #1
tyro

I'm in the market for a 12 gauge shotgun. 'Already have a 20 gauge 870, so the matter of keeping it simple (stupid/tyro) weighs toward getting another 870. But I wonder about getting an autoloader for benefits of reduced recoil and no need to pump the action if I had to fire on an intruder from a position of cover behind my bedroom safe - in which position my left arm would be limited by restriction of movement. Which is the more important of the considerations noted above?
Old November 27, 2000, 08:10 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good to see ya back Tyro.Feel free to E me if there's anything you'd like to say privately.

First, one big need in WIHTF hardware is consistency. One doesn't need to stop and thing about where the slide release is, or if they have to pump it, when life and the universe shrinks down to one very small area of engagement, where life itself is dependent on fractions of inches and seconds.Since you've started with the 870, stay with it. Also, while it's your life and your family's, there's little that can be done with a 12 in your case that can't be done with that 20.

But if you just WANT a 12,that's OK too.We understand(G)...

As for semi autos, there's some good ones out there. However, I can get repeat aimed shots off as fast or faster than many autos can cycle, including the time-honored Auto 5 Browning. Any good pump gunner can.

The scenario you mention may be solved by shooting left handed. I recommend that all serious A-S shotgunners practice that way a bit, for there may be times when it's the best option.
Old November 27, 2000, 07:07 PM   #3
Bam Bam

Dave brought up something interesting, which is ease of use. I don't think you can go wrong with a Rem 870 or Win 1300. But one nice thing about the Win 1300 is that it is easier to work the button that releases the action when the gun is cocked. Win also claims the rotary bolt speeds up the pump action. I can't comment on that as I have not tried any timing trials.
As far as second or more shots in HD situations I would choose the pump. Yes you have to pump it but lets say you use up the magazine. Loading one shell at a time in an autoloader seems clumsy to me. And the pump has the added psych-out on the bad guy of the "click-clack."