The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 12, 2014, 06:29 PM   #26
Whirlwind06

congrats looks nice.
Old March 12, 2014, 06:51 PM   #27
SaxonPig

You have what is called a transitional model. It was assembled and sold after WW II (1946-47) but uses mostly pre-war parts. It is what we call the "long action" type as opposed to the 1948 and later "short action."

The stocks look correct and didn't you say the serial is stamped on one panel? That would be correct.
Old March 12, 2014, 09:33 PM   #28
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig
The stocks look correct...
Now that I've had a chance to look at them on a different monitor, they do NOT look like incorrect PC Magnas.

FWIW the lower edges of a PC Magna are rounded with about the same radius as a cheap ballpoint pen. If those stocks have a pronounced lip rather than a radius, they are NOT PC's.
Old March 12, 2014, 09:47 PM   #29
SaxonPig

Be aware that "PC" is popular but not official S&W terminology. The company calls them "Modified Magnas."
Old March 12, 2014, 11:52 PM   #30
GaryED50

More info

There was no size marking on the grip adapter and the last three digits of the SN are stamped on the RH grip panel

Gary
Old March 13, 2014, 01:48 PM   #31
SaxonPig

I bet the entire serial was stamped but the die struck lightly. Happens. Stocks are original in my opinion.
Old March 13, 2014, 05:34 PM   #32
GyMac

Beautiful gun! As stated elsewhere, that's not a T grip. All my K-frames wear them. It still looks nice, though. I take a 19 year old shooting regularly and today we shot my 6 inch Model 10. He loved it! He's a new shooter, but he was able to keep them in the center of 6 inch plate at 10 yds shooting DA. Isn't it refreshing that in today's "tactical" world, a 19 year old would find so much joy in shooting such an "old school" gun?
Old March 13, 2014, 09:17 PM   #33
GaryED50

Wildest thing was

When I got the revolver home the cylinder was acting gummed up, a little hard to turn. once home I removed the crane and cylinder dissembled it and the ejector rod. thoroughly scrubbed the parts, dried all tossed in a little gun oil and all is good as new.

Gary
Old March 14, 2014, 11:45 PM   #34
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

Not sure if that gun has the reverse thread on the extractor rod or not. With the old guns, the rotation of the cylinder could back out the rod slightly, just enough to cause things to bind, so they changed the thread to a left hand thread, so the effect of the cylinder turning would be to tighten the thread.

If you took it all apart, you have probably figured out which way the thread goes. If it screws together normally, be sure to snug up the thread every once in a while so it does not back out.
Old April 20, 2014, 09:36 PM   #35
GaryED50

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I just sent away to Smith & Wesson for the history letter for this gun. I'll let you know what I find out

Gary
Old May 6, 2014, 08:08 AM   #36
GaryED50

Quote:
When you shoot that you must wear a snap brim hat, a double breasted suit...
Have the hat but still waiting on the suit.

Gary
Old May 6, 2014, 08:43 AM   #37
bedbugbilly

Very nice Gary! You are going to love that one! Most of my Smiths have "character" . . . i.e. holder wear to some extent. I think it just makes them shoot better! Enjoy and thanks for sharing!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63