The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2011, 04:44 PM   #1
praetorian97

Recycling

I read somewhere someone was recycling primers at the local recycler.

If I could remember where I would ask them but is that even worth it?
Old May 25, 2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

Praetorlan97:

I have a one pouind coffee can and half of another one filled with spent primers. I'm not interested in earning money. I believe that if I use it I should recycle it. I'm anxious to see what kind of replies that you get. If you receuve a private message please share it with me.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. HUGHES
USMC Retired
Old May 25, 2011, 07:02 PM   #3
CherokeeT

I took in about 35# of spent primers a few months ago, got 50 cents/# for them, same as the junk brass cases I also took in.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Miata Mike

I was paid $1.50 per pound as "yellow brass" along with my scrap cases. I had almost a full 1# coffee can of spent primers and they never questioned it. Made about $13 total on the scrap brass.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:37 PM   #5
praetorian97

Nice!
Old May 26, 2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Smokey Joe

One slight warning...

Praetorian 97--Yep, rifle and pistol primers are all-brass, and are good for recycling. Just to be sure, check your primer stash with a magnet before taking it in to recycle.

However (there is always that darn "however"!) shotgun primers are steel--keep them separate from the others, and the steel won't fetch any money. The scrap dealer will probably take them off your hands, however.

Gunny Hughes--good on you trying to minimize your footprint on the earth. As a plus, in this instance, you DO get money for doing the right thing, at least with the brass ones. And thank you for your service.

--Smokey Joe
Old May 26, 2011, 01:01 PM   #7
praetorian97

Thanks Guys. Im going to start collecting. More for the environment than the money. I just didnt even know if anyone would take them.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:30 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

As other posters have said - scrap brass is scrap brass. It doesn't matter if it's primers, cartridge cases, or plumbing fittings (except nice, clean yellow brass plumbing fittings can bring in a bit more $$).

Be sure to run them over a magnet. My metal recycler of choice won't accept brass or aluminum if they detect any ferrous material with their magnets (steel, iron, nickel, etc).

I used to dump primers into my scrap brass jug, but kept finding myself digging through the scrap for certain cases (to make dippers, show a non-reloader what XXX case failure looks like, or something else where a "junk" case is still useful). The soot and residue from the primers made that a very dirty job.

It's worth the effort, if you're already saving junk brass. I just happened to stop saving primers since I'm digging through the jug so often.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:50 PM   #9
Miata Mike

My recyclers separate the empty cartridges from other types of brass. Not sure why but I think they must have a buyer in the wings for certain ammo brass. So my spent primers were kept separate.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:13 AM   #10
Nosparetime

I just sold 244pds of brass and primers at the local metal dealer. I had them separated but they weighed them together and I think they dumped them all in one bin. I was paid $1.85 lb.

As soon as I pick it up I will post a picture of the gun it bought

By the way primers weigh up fast.
Old May 27, 2011, 12:36 PM   #11
capreppy

Much like lead pricing, it is amazing to see the differences in price for brass scrap from one area of the US to another.

I need to figure out where I can take mine. I've got half of a 5 gallon bucket of brass casings and a folger's container of spent primers. Kinda amazing as I've only been reloading since January.