The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 21, 2013, 09:35 PM   #26
SycoPath

I like one I saw in a city I used to live in: "Don't worry about the dog or my Colt .45; just run like Hell before my wife gets you!"
Old February 22, 2013, 06:12 AM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Target.

You might as well add another sign that says "Rob here first."
Old February 22, 2013, 11:49 PM   #28
wilson396

Like some of the others have said. Dogs are a great deterrent. I have two German Shepherds and keep the front window blinds wide open so they can see out and others can see in.

If someone still wants to break in, I'm confident I won't even have to reach for my gun before my dogs neutralize an intruder.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:05 AM   #29
TDL

Deterrent to robbery when you are home.
Inducement to burglary when you are not.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:35 AM   #30
Mastery

There's a picture floating around on the Internet that is a sign in the front yard of a person, and it says something to the effect of "my next door neighbor does not believe citizens should have guns"...with an arrow pointing to the house next door. Wish I could find it now...
Old February 23, 2013, 08:45 AM   #31
Rifleman1776

Deterrent.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:06 AM   #32
TXAZ

ADT sign from EBAY

You'll be better off to by a legit ADT sign off eBay, placing it in a conspicuous location.

Ditto to the 'maddog with a gun' comments if a Plantiff gets you into court.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 23, 2013, 09:16 AM   #33
MLeake

One piece of advice Mas Ayoob gave at our MAG-40 class was to really get a good home security system, but post the sign of a different system. This may cause better trained burglars to start trying to deactivate the wrong things.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:59 AM   #34
TXAZ

Mastery
Is this the sign you refer to?:

"My next door neighbor wants to ban all guns
Their house is not armed. I respect their opinion and promise not to use my guns to help protect them."

http://www.eatliver.com/i.php?n=4936

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 23, 2013, 11:52 AM   #35
vito

I used to live in a small suburb of Milwaukee where a local young attorney was pushing for a referendum that would ban guns in the village unless unloaded and secured. His big fear was that his 5 year old son would be at a friends house and find a loaded gun, etc. etc. He seemed unmoved by the logic that such an law would be like telling the BG's the entire village was a gun free zone. But when I offered him, courtesy of our local NRA representative, a sign for his home window which showed that the home was "gun free" he agreed that this would point him out as an easy target. So it works both ways. Years ago I had numerous pro-gun, some humorous, bumper stickers on my car but when I really thought about it I removed them. I didn't need a potential burglar following me home and knowing that my house might be a good target for a home break-in when I was at work. Now I keep my car, and house, sign-free so no one knows what I have or don't have, what I support or don't support, etc.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:56 PM   #36
buck460XVR

While I don't have any signs, I doubt that those as shown by the OP would have any overall effect of whether your house gets robbed or not. For every burglar that sees it as an invite, odds are there's one that see it as a deterrent. Kinda a wash either way. The crime rate in your area, part of town you live in, along with cover and access around and to your home would have far more influence than any signs, legit or fake. As far as a liability if prosecuted.......I think it would show intent of the intruder just as much as intent of the gun owner. "But Judge.......he was told there was a gun inside and he kicked in the door anyway!"
Old February 23, 2013, 04:40 PM   #37
Mastery

TXAZ: yep, that's the sign. I have a neighbor just like that. Since all this BS started, he is of the thought that citizens don't need guns. I should put a sign up like this.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:38 PM   #38
mrbatchelor

Gun signs on front door: deterrent or target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGlocker23 View Post
Dogs really are the best way to go. mans best friend, acts as a deterrent, also acts as a free early alert security system so u know those BGs are coming before they even get to the front porch.
+ about 200 on this.

Dogs and people have been hanging around together for about 10-15K years because its a relationship that works.

If you get in my house without one or both of my dogs barking their fool heads off it's because you're either me or my wife. Just being with me or my wife is inadequate. If you're a stranger, you're getting barked at. And I don't tell the dogs to hush and be quiet. I tell them good boy and reward them. They quiet down once they get the treat. This is behavior I don't want to stop.

They know who belongs in the pack. There are six pack members; me, my wife, the "big dog" (who's knee high), the little dog (ankle high), and the two cats. Everybody else gets a dog barking party.