The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 11:33 AM   #26
Vermonter

TTT

Just did it agin anyone else still at it?
Old January 17, 2013, 12:19 PM   #27
Metal god

yea I'm still at it . The Ruger petition helped me find everybody in my state to write . You put in your info and it tells you all the reps that apply to you .Federal and state it was pretty cool .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 17, 2013, 12:43 PM   #28
Chaz88

I wrote to everyone several weeks ago and did receive one response. The response was that they are busy and it would take several weeks to get an actual response to what I wrote.

I have written to my representatives in several states over the years about a number of issues and the responses are less than encouraging most of the time. I once got a long letter thanking me for supporting the representatives position on an issue. The letter I wrote could not have in any way been construed to be support for the persons position on the issue.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:32 PM   #29
Vermonter

Chaz Keep At It

Keep at it brother use zincwariors link in post 3. It takes less time than writing a response to a thread here!
Old January 17, 2013, 07:15 PM   #30
Chaz88

I will keep at it. Mostly because I do not generally have the option of knocking on their doors or calling them at dinner time to tell them in person what I think. I do always take care to state my opinions in a strong but professional and respectful manner. I hope everyone is doing the same. Hateful and vulgar language might make you feel better but is unlikely to help.

Just a plug for another thread that might have gone unnoticed by some. Guns Across America is planning peaceful demonstrations in support of the 2nd in most state capitols at noon on Saturday.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:18 PM   #31
SPEMack618

I will keep at as well, and not just to oppose any new gun control legislation.

I'm also telling my reps that I don't want them to confirm a new director for the BATFE until there are concrete answers and repurcussions for Fast and Furious.
Old January 19, 2013, 04:27 PM   #32
Vermonter

Fast and furious.

Exclennt point! I am going to work that into the email I am writing currently.

Oh yeah and TTT
Old January 21, 2013, 02:43 PM   #33
alan

Re "write your reps", do not limit yourself to a single effort, and don't forget to call them, your federal elected things, congress and senate. Toll free number is 1-866-220-0044. Capitol switch board answers, usually a lady. Tell her whom it is you wish to speak with, senator/congressman, and you are connected with their offices, sometimes a real person, sometimes an answering machine. In any event, calls are counted. Everyone counts. The individual rights/liberties call might help to save are yours. If you don't act, even in small ways to defend your rights, can you realistically expect someone else to so do?
Old January 21, 2013, 07:09 PM   #34
coachteet

I received this response from my Rep this evening:

"Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding congressional action on gun control in response to the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary. Your views are important to me as I work to effectively represent you in Congress.

The tragedy in Connecticut is heartbreaking, and I cannot imagine being a parent in that situation. I was shocked and incredibly saddened by such a random act of violence against the most innocent victims imaginable – our nation's children. My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to everyone affected. I agree that we must have a serious discussion on what we can do to prevent mass-casualty shootings in the future.

As a sportsman, gun owner, and active member of the U.S. Army Reserve, I approach this subject with a deep respect for firearms and the Second Amendment. Millions of Americans safely and routinely own and use firearms for hunting, hobby, and self-protection. This includes many residents of southern and southwestern Ohio, and many of our friends and neighbors.

I have serious concerns that additional regulations adopted in response to this tragedy would not only limit the rights of law-abiding Americans, but would also not solve the problem of gun violence in our nation. As we explore potential policy solutions, we must not forget nor minimize the Second Amendment, which states, "...the right to bear arms shall not be infringed."

On January 16, President Obama announced an aggressive gun control agenda, including reinstating and strengthening the assault weapons ban, restoring the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines, and issuing more than 20 executive orders. Realistically, I do not believe that any of these proposals would stop individuals who are determined to end the lives of their fellow citizens.

Additionally, I do not believe the actions of a few disturbed individuals should drive us to infringe on the liberty of all Americans. However, there are legislative steps we can take to make mass-casualty shootings even rarer, including examining how we identify, diagnose, and treat mental illness. I believe that these efforts, especially in regard to gun ownership, will have a more positive and dramatic effect and will lead to increased safety for all Americans. I will be certain to keep your thoughts in mind as the 113thCongress explores these options.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on this issue. I invite you to visit my website, http://www.wenstrup.house.gov, where you can email me your thoughts or concerns on this or any other issue important to you, and sign up for my email updates.

Sincerely,

Brad Wenstrup
Member of Congress"
Old January 25, 2013, 06:17 PM   #35
Metal god

just got a response from senator Boxer of CA

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation on this or similar issues.

If you would like additional information about my work in the U.S. Senate, I invite you to visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can access my statements and press releases about current events and pending legislation, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past federal legislation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.
Can that be any more genaric I sent at least 5 emails so I'm not sure which one this was in response to . Maybe all

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 25, 2013, 10:37 PM   #36
alan

I have no idea, though I could guess re the content of Metal god's letters to Senator Boxer.

Suffice it to say that her response could reasonably be described as the personification of that proverbial "fob-off", arrogance unacceptable.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:44 PM   #37
alan

The following sent earlier today to my U.S. Senators and Congressman. It is not copyrighted, and is offered for your interest/use, as readers here might see fit.

Re the latest proposal from Senator Feinstein, and a companion proposal from Congresswoman McCarthy, we see a rehash of the Clinton era assault weapons ban, so called. More lipstick on the same old pig. Emotional appeals, and media hype change nothing in the endless game of bait and switch that is gun control.. The thing was a pig to begin with, nothing has changed with the passage of time. The ultimate, often stated goals of The Anti Gun Lobby remain what they always were, the total proscription of privately owned firearms, end of story.

There is just one course of action open to you, concerning recognition of the facts, recognition of the evidence of history, to say nothing of the oath of office that you took. You must oppose, without quarter, the fairytale that is gun control, however and whenever it rears it's ugly head.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:07 PM   #38
SPEMack618

Pops, who is in a different district than me for the moment, just got this in response from Rep. Westmoreland...

Thank you for contacting me regarding Second Amendment rights and gun laws in this country. I sincerely appreciate the benefit of your views.

On January 16, 2013, President Obama signed 23 Executive Orders relating to the problem of gun violence in America. Ranging from federal background checks, gun seizures, and mental health parity regulations, the President has once again decided to circumvent the role of Congress. The Constitution dictates that we must have a transparent and open discussion on issues of national importance, a discussion that allows the voices of all Americans to be heard rather than the sole voice of the Executive Branch. After situations such as the horrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, millions of U.S. citizens have indicated that they want to be able to protect themselves and their families. The fundamental right to bear arms cannot be trampled upon.

After the President's Executive Orders were outlined, I signed onto two letters with my colleagues to the President to express our strong dismay that he is attempting to infringe upon the second amendment rights of our nation. The first letter, circulated by Rep. Todd Rokita (R-IN) emphasizes that, as the Supreme Court has affirmed, we have a duty to ensure that law-abiding citizens are not stripped of their constitutional rights by an overreaching federal government. The second letter, circulated by Rep. Dan Benishek (R-MI) urges a respect for human life and human dignity and encourages the President to work through the legislative process rather than pursuing action solely determined by the Executive Branch. In regards to legislation put forth in the House or the Senate relating to gun control, I must emphasize that I cannot support any bill that would infringe upon our fundamental Second amendment rights.

When our Founding Fathers adopted the Bill of Rights, they specifically included a right for individuals to keep and bear arms. They wisely knew that if the people were armed, there would always be a built-in protection against criminal activity and tyranny. As an avid supporter of the Second Amendment and a gun owner, I have consistently fought to protect the right to keep and bear arms.

While many call for more gun laws, we need to enforce the laws that are already on the books. The true solution to gun violence is not creating more laws, but rather in something Congress can't do—changing the basic values people cherish. The solution to violence lies in our homes, schools, and places of worship as people learn the value of the lives of others. We can all work toward addressing those basic attitudes.

Along these same lines, it is important to protect firearm manufacturers from groups that try to shut them down through legal means. Gun makers, just like manufacturers of kitchen knives, make a product, and should not be held liable when that product is used in criminal activity. People make decisions to misuse products—the product itself does not cause the crime.

Hearing from my constituents allows me to better understand your perspective, and how they impact the future of Georgia and the nation. As your representative in Congress, I will continue to take your views into consideration as legislation moves through the process for votes. Thanks again for letting me know your thoughts. For additional information regarding current legislation and my representation of the Third District, I invite you to visit my website at http://www.house.gov/westmoreland, and to receive my monthly newsletter, you can sign up on my website at http://westmoreland.house.gov/Forms/EmailSignup/.

Rep. Westmoreland is a good man. He was my congressional nomination to West Point, until I failed calculus.
Old January 26, 2013, 02:43 PM   #39
Metal god

hey I found one of the letters I wrote

This is one of the letters I wrote to Feinstein , Boxer and Davis .

Hi I hope the holidays were good to you and your family . I'm writing to ask you not to offer any gun legislation now or in the future .I do know it seems like a good way to prevent gun crime but IMO it will not . The shooting in CT was done by a young man that seemed to be very troubled . I think are focus as a nation should be to help people with mental illness and the ability to recognize it before tragedy's like the one in CT happen .

Stopping me from buying any particular firearm will not stop anybody from
breaking into my home ,stealing the guns I already own , kill me and using them in a crime . It's my understanding that the young man in CT did that very thing . No he may not have broke in to the house but he did steal the guns and kill the legal owner and then used them in the most awful crime I have ever seen . Even if not one more gun was sold in the US again we still would have a few hundred million guns here . Banning a few gun from this day foreword will not stop gun crime or even reduce it .

I know there is not enough money to put a cop in every school . I ask you to
consider a school Marshall program similar to the air Marshall program .Maybe 1 Marshall for every 5 to 10 schools . They can rotate and the bad guys will not know what school has the Marshall in them . I believe this would be a good deterrent and would be 1/5 to 1/10 the cost of putting a cop in every school .

I know we as a nation and human beings can't sit by and do nothing when 20
children get killed but new gun control will not stop this from happening again

Thanks for your time

Old February 11, 2013, 10:39 PM   #40
Metal god

Just got this reply from congress women Susan Davis

Quote:
Thank you for writing to share your thoughts on gun ownership. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response. Each week, I receive over 2,000 pieces of mail, and it often takes me longer to respond than I would like.

I have always respected the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. Americans who observe the law should be allowed to own firearms legally and without harassment. At the same time, I'm haunted by the events that took place in Newtown, Connecticut. Those twenty-six lives were taken from us too early. And not too long ago, a mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado took the lives of six people, injuring 58 others. As I watch my friend and former colleague, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, recover from her injuries sustained just over two years ago in a shooting in Tucson, I must ask myself: what are we doing to prevent these tragedies from happening again?

I believe we can honor the Second Amendment while keeping the deadliest weapons out of our neighborhoods. As a former mental health social worker, I think it's imperative that we make it easier to get treatment for mental illnesses. We need to review our current background check process to ensure that guns are kept out of the wrong hands. I understand your concerns but I do believe that we seriously need to revisit the expiration of the assault weapons and high capacity magazine bans. Rest assured, I will continue to advocate for responsible measures that will reduce and hopefully one day prevent senseless acts of violence, while upholding Second Amendment rights for law-abiding Americans.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. As your representative, I both need and value your perspective. Please sign up for my E-Newsletter at my website http://house.gov/susandavis/ if you would like to receive regular updates about what is happening in Congress.

With warm regards,

SUSAN A. DAVIS
Member of Congress
Well Im not happy with what she said but at least it was to the point unlike Boxer's letter . Still waiting on Feinsteins reply

Old February 12, 2013, 09:58 PM   #41
Metal god

Just got five more reply's from Susan Davis . I guess I wrote her six times . They all were the same letter .

Old February 12, 2013, 11:36 PM   #42
btmj

After several rounds of letters and emails, I kept this round short. I just sent them an email reminding them that during elections, give overwhelming consideration to the NRA ratings and voter guides. A short and sweet message.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:23 PM   #43
Vermonter

I have gotten lax here.

Don't make my mistakes folks. Let's keep at this once a day. I am sorry for having lapsed and I will continue to do as much as I can.

TTT
Old February 26, 2013, 02:21 PM   #44
dajowi

Just last January I sent 29 emails to the 29 Oregon State senators regarding gun bans. Four people responded, a bunch were deleted without opening.

I can see why people don't bother to write their state legislators.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:09 PM   #45
Tickling

Done, thanks Vermonter.

It's already been mentioned that Ruger has a similar site:

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/#

Do both, it only takes a second.
Old February 27, 2013, 01:05 PM   #46
Vermonter

Dajowl

In the time it takes to write a reply here you could copy and paste your origional message into the NRA thing and have it go to all your state reps or all your federal reps.

I know it is frustrating but you can at least make them take the effort to delete it.

Thanks, Veermonter
Old February 28, 2013, 11:45 AM   #47
Vermonter

TTT Just did it again.

Take just ten seconds out of your day.

Thanks, Vermonter
Old February 28, 2013, 11:59 AM   #48
alan

Re Write Your Representatives, remember the following:

1. The input of effort on your part is small.

2. The benefits to you, the writer or caller, could be immense.

3. The toll free phone number for Capitol Switchboard, tell them which congressional of senatorial office you wish to speak with and the operators connect you, is 1-866-220-0044.

The ball is now on your side of the net, as is sometimes observed. Writing Letters To The Editor can help too.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:51 PM   #49
Vermonter

Allan

That phone # is a fantastic addition to this thread. Thank you sir!
Old February 28, 2013, 08:33 PM   #50
alan

Hope it helps, as in that others use it.

As I recall, I've posted it before, possibly not here, though I believe so.

I also wonder as to why the NRA, in it's mailings, which list 202 are code numbers, do riot list the 866 number, which is TOLL FREE, a factor that might make a difference to some.