Lee McNelly

no permit needed

louiville slogger
Old January 20, 2012, 01:13 PM   #53
k511

lol haha Mike
Old January 20, 2012, 01:23 PM   #54
MLeake

Without wishing to start a flame war, wasp and hornet spray is a hugely bad idea.

Setting aside the probable reaction of dog owners or dog lovers, use of a POISON against a human attacker will get you in just as much trouble as would use of a gun.

Mace, OC, etc could be used as less-than-lethal alternatives across a spectrum of attackers that would include humans; wasp spray could not.
Old January 20, 2012, 03:58 PM   #55
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

Mleake nailed it.
Old January 20, 2012, 09:20 PM   #56
Panfisher

Not everyone is physically or mentally capable of taking on a large dog with a stick. i.e. my 18 year old daughter, loves animals, is about 100 pounds soaking wet and likes to jog, tough to jog with a walking stick. Stream type pepper spray will work on dogs, perhaps not on all dogs, but I would rather her carry something that worked on 85% of dogs than not carry anything while looking for the perfect thing. Kind of like a .22LR pistol on your person is better than a .45 back at the house.

If walking, a lightweight walking stick similar to a ski-pole or the cold steel sjambok or similar item works well, much lighter than a club sized walking stick and can used in a full swing with pretty good result. Most dogs know what sticks are and don't like to get too close. Never run, back away slowly and stand tall, use a loud forceful voice, most dogs will respond to it. I am a dog lover and have stared or backed down many dogs, and have been bit also (mostly because I ignored the little rat b$#@%^%d, instead of dealing with it), and as much as I like dogs, the life of a person who isn't attacking me or my family is worth more than the dog. As for a knife shouldn't everyone carry a mini-griptillian sized one hand opening knife anyway??
Old January 21, 2012, 07:15 AM   #57
Mike1234

^^^ That's True MOST of the Time But...

Some dogs don't back down. I had a run-in with three loosed pit bulls that were stalking me and darned near didn't back down even though I advanced (slowly) at them while I was yelling and loudly rattling my many bags of groceries raise high in the air. They BARELY backed down. I shot that leader pit bull in the head about a week later as it was killing another neighbor's dog. I did it because I knew that PB would eventually kill a human being... maybe a child.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:40 AM   #58
manta49

Don't have to worry about pit-bulls here they are illegal to own under the dangerous dogs act. Also you have to have a dog licence for your dog, and a law is proposed that they will also have to be microchipped.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:46 AM   #59
MLeake

The UK, it's like CA and NYC, but more rustic...

At least there are residents in CA and NYC who recognize and resist governmental nannyism...
Old January 21, 2012, 12:32 PM   #60
manta49

You are right if you want to see a good example of the nanny state look at the UK.
Old January 21, 2012, 12:38 PM   #61
MLeake

Do you have any groups akin to NRA or SAF, Manta49?

If so, do they get any traction?

Sorry for the veer...
Old January 21, 2012, 02:10 PM   #62
manta49

MLeake. You have the BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation but it is pretty toothless. www.basc.org.uk

Last edited by manta49; January 21, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:01 PM   #63
garryc

Three times.

One while walking down the road after hunting with my 357 for woodchucks. Three dogs came down from a barn, the farmer was on the porch watching. I bet he thought it funny. I pulled out the 357 and loaded it. He yelled, "You better not shoot them dogs!" I yelled back, "You better call them off!" He didn't. One was a big shepherd that came at me with teeth snarled and growling. 357 took care of that, the farmer never left the porch.

The second time I was in a ditch about waist deep cutting roots with an axe. I heard the other guys yell, "Garry, look out!" I turn and see this big dog coming at me. I hit it across the back with that axe and severed its spine.

The third time was on my parents property. The guy across the street had a pit/chow mix. He would let it run loose and chase people. It had run my sick mother into the house, that almost killed her. I told him if I saw that dog on my property again I would kill it on sight. Some time later I was walking up from the creek. I had my Super Blackhawk on me. Here came this dog right at me. I shot that piece of crap, and then realized the neighbor was watching. He got cited for his loose dog after he called the sheriff.

I won't give a person that is going to attack me any quarter, why would I do it for someones viscous dog. If I perceive that I'm about to be attacked I kill it, no questions asked or hesitation taken.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:07 PM   #64
hangglider

Let me get this straight--if a dog charges you you're going to blast them--regardless of whether or not the dog is simply "testing?" Many dogs are "watchdog" types--they instinctively will guard the border of a property and feint an attack without actually doing it.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:17 PM   #65
MLeake

Funny... I've heard of cases where people did really bad things to people over harm to their dogs. From major destruction of property, to physical assaults....

There are times when shooting might be necessary, but it should be a last resort. The legal line is more forgiving than the line for shooting people would be, but the repercussions aren't necessarily limited to what the law might do.

Probably a good thing that farmer didn't have a deer rifle handy, or your .357 vs German Shepherd story might have had a different outcome.

Look also at the Fish case. He was eventually acquitted on appeal, but that was a case of warning shots vs dog, and look how that owner (not a stable person in the first place) reacted, and what happened.

Internet posturing often ignores what can happen in the real world.

And saying you wouldn't give a person any quarter could come back to bite you, hard, if any SD shooting were ever remotely questionable. Predisposition to execute an attacker... he said it right here, your honor.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:44 PM   #66
garryc

Quote:
Let me get this straight--if a dog charges you you're going to blast them--regardless of whether or not the dog is simply "testing?" Many dogs are "watchdog" types--they instinctively will guard the border of a property and feint an attack without actually doing it.
I'm not on another persons property, I'm in a public place or my families property. I'm not going too wait to see if it is "testing" me anymore than if it's a gang banger "testing" me. If it is testing me to see what I'll do, it will get the results of that test forthwith.

I got chewed up by a dog as a young kid on a public street, never again.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:55 PM   #67
Nitesites

What about those dog whistles? Do they actually work?

As I type this, my dog is chewing on the toe of my sock. With my foot still in it no less...
Old January 21, 2012, 04:17 PM   #68
garryc

The guy had a natural right to use that level of force, case closed, doctrines be damned.
Old January 21, 2012, 04:24 PM   #69
Mike1234

I recently spoke to my next door neighbor about one of his three large dogs he lets run free. As long as they do no harm most people don't mind... this is a rural community and all the loosed dogs help keep feral hogs and coyotes away. The female has always been a bit more aggressive than the two males but for a few days she charged with bared teeth with far more intent to attack.

I told my neighbor that I don't want to harm his dog but will defend myself if I must. He agreed and understood that the female is more aggressive. He knows I carry a big stick and a 9mm and will use either if need be. I gave him a choice of stung gun or pepper spray if I need to use a little more force than waving the stick. He picked pepper spray... so I explained the possible issues with his kids touching the dog(s) should they get peppered. I said I'd tell him or his wife if they're home or leave a note on his gate if they're not.

Fortunately, his dogs have settled down to normal again. I hope they stay that way because I don't want to hurt them. Don't misunderstand me... I'll blow their brains if if I must. I just don't want to.
Old January 21, 2012, 04:26 PM   #70
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

It's time, I guess. Just about everything constructive that can be said, has been said, and as in most of these doggy threads, emotions are beginning to run high.

It was inevitable, so let's end this while it's still more or less on a positive note.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread