The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old June 9, 2011, 02:18 PM   #1
gaseousclay

how do you reason with an animal-rights activist?

I was talking to my boss yesterday and he said he had a nasty email exchange with some animal rights activist who was going on about the slaughtering of deer, human encroachment, etc, etc. I told him that it's best to leave it alone because in the end, there's absolutely no way to reason with them, even if you present them with facts. I try to be respectful of other people's opinions, but it kind of bothers me when animal rights activists try to assert some moral authority over things which they know nothing about, or care to educate themselves about. yes, there's plenty of cases of animal cruelty in this world but when you start talking about deer populations in the US it opens a can of worms.

so, how do you deal with these individuals? or is there no reasoning to be had?
Old June 9, 2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Doyle

The only way is to deal with them the same as a religious fanatic. Tell them to go away to their own little world and leave you alone.
Old June 9, 2011, 02:36 PM   #3
langenc

You cant-they are right.

Same applies to gun and pro-life rights.

Just read about in Ohio the legislature and gov want to allow CCW in establishments that sell booze. Why not go to someplkace besides McDs for dinner. The law would not allow carriers to drink-we have the same rule im MI.

The restaurant owners and 'big sports venbues' are up in arms. Something about 'dangerous combinations-booze and guns. All those bars/restaurants have parking lots so the drinkers can park there very dangerous MVs so the patrons can drink. Motor vehicles operated by drinkers will kill many more people than guns ever will/have. We heard it all in MI-VA passed it a year or so ago and the LEOs screamed blood murder. Of course they already had an exemption in the drinking/driving/carrying law. Hippocrits.
Old June 9, 2011, 02:40 PM   #4
LordTio3

I just tend to calmly ask them what they think is wrong with hunting, then apply some facts to teh contrary. If you know your facts and sources, there's really no arguing with them. You can tell someone their oppinion is wrong, but you really can't dispute whether or not something "IS" given a logical set of facts.

It is more humane for skilled hunters to kill deer quickly and cleanly, and USE THEIR RESOURCES, than it is for them to be struck on the road and die painfully on their own.

If hunters stopped hunting, all speed limits on rural roads would decrease significantly.

If hunters stopped hunting, significantly more people would die or be seriously injured in auto accidents.

If hunters stopped hunting, a very large population of deer would be subjected to seasonal starvation due to food shortages.

If hunters stopped hunting, the country's overall conservation budget which helps wildlife conservation everywhere would be cut by ~75% due to hunters not paying conservation taxes on permits, ammunition, equipment, etc...

And tell them if they're worried about encroachment, then tear down their house, plant a tree, build a tree house and live in that. Otherwise, shut their mouth because they're directly contributing to the thing they are complaining about. Hipocrisy never shows much reason.

~LT

PS... Would you rather live a free life in the wild, raise a family, be your own person, then die one day when you've reached the conservation appropriate age for legal game; or be bred, born, raised, force-fed, washed, killed, slaughtered, and butchered in the same cage your whole life to be served at the local fast food restaurant?

Tell your friends that hunters aren't who they need to be wasting their energy on, and to focus it elsewhere.
Old June 9, 2011, 02:41 PM   #5
markj

Quote:
so, how do you deal with these individuals?
Just question them, theow some facts at em. I had a gal yelling at me on a phone conversation on a local radio show the radio guy had to dis connect her she was hollering and such. I spoke wit ha calm cool voice, asked about animal conservation and what pete is doing for it, mentioned our great president Teddy R. started tyhe whole thing so we would be able to enjoy the hunting sports down thru the generations.

Another time I was flying back here from LAX, was talking to a gent was a farm person as I am, we talked about home raised meat and some gal stood up in front of us and tole us we were making her sick as she dont eat nothing has a face on it. I looked at the guy next to me and told her in plain terms, "I dont either, I cut their heads off first". The plane erupted with clapping she sat back down we talked about butchering a pig with details....

Movie I saw, did you hear about the morgans, the gal from NY told the deputy gal she was peta, deputy gal said people eating tasty animals

Just turn it back on em. I ask them to be honest with me, I ask them when they smell a steak on a grill if it dont make them hungry never get an answer sooooo...

Told one if icant eat beef I was going to eat peta people, gotta have my meat one way or ta other
Old June 9, 2011, 02:50 PM   #6
BikerRN

Here's one way to deal with animal rights ninnies:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=119208

Biker
Old June 9, 2011, 03:09 PM   #7
9mm

I have to eat, tons and tons of chickens/cows are killed daily on a farm/factory to be shipped to people like you and me. Some pump chemicals into them, if you hunt and kill its all natural.
Old June 9, 2011, 03:11 PM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
I have to eat, tons and tons of chickens/cows are killed daily on a farm/factory to be shipped to people like you and me. Some pump chemicals into them, if you hunt and kill its all natural.
That's where you can't win against a true animal rights activist. They will tell you that ALL killing of animals is wrong - that's why they are vegans. You can't argue with those kinds of people - they'll never listen.
Old June 9, 2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Pahoo

Iowa law, protects hunters against Bunny Huggers.

First off, the "Bunny-Huggers" are entitled to their feelings just as we are to ours. Forget trying to turn them around as just like politics, eventually it turns into a spitting contest and we all know where that goes usually takes one. One of my best shooting buddies, is anti-hunting and mostly influence by his wife. We both clearly understand where we stand and we protect our mutual respect for each other. That is the problem with these folks; they basically have no respect for your feelings and expect you to show all respect. Most are basically too stupid to understand the Golden Rule.
During one of our hunter safety classes, we had a mother who really challenged us on these issues. She said she would make sure to ruin my day by scaring all the game. I responded that I have never had a bad day, in the field and would be more than happy to take her along and share the experience with her. She declined while her husband just stood there and didn't say a word. Later he let me know he was okay.

In Iowa, it's against the law to harrass hunters. I have never had any cause to turn them in nor do I ever think I would, unless it got physical but that's another story .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 9, 2011, 03:31 PM   #10
gaseousclay

Quote:
It is more humane for skilled hunters to kill deer quickly and cleanly, and USE THEIR RESOURCES, than it is for them to be struck on the road and die painfully on their own.

If hunters stopped hunting, all speed limits on rural roads would decrease significantly.

If hunters stopped hunting, significantly more people would die or be seriously injured in auto accidents.

If hunters stopped hunting, a very large population of deer would be subjected to seasonal starvation due to food shortages.

If hunters stopped hunting, the country's overall conservation budget which helps wildlife conservation everywhere would be cut by ~75% due to hunters not paying conservation taxes on permits, ammunition, equipment, etc...
those are my points exactly. it's like they have selective hearing and only hear what they wanna hear. If you told them that hunters are the direct reason why we still have deer populations they'd say you're crazy and that you're needlessly slaughtering innocent animals. it's this type of fanaticism that disturbs me. I can respect someone for choosing not to eat meat, but that's a personal lifestyle choice and to try and impose your personal beliefs onto others is obscene to me.
Old June 9, 2011, 03:32 PM   #11
gaseousclay

Quote:
Another time I was flying back here from LAX, was talking to a gent was a farm person as I am, we talked about home raised meat and some gal stood up in front of us and tole us we were making her sick as she dont eat nothing has a face on it. I looked at the guy next to me and told her in plain terms, "I dont either, I cut their heads off first". The plane erupted with clapping she sat back down we talked about butchering a pig with details....
ok, that made me laugh. i'm totally gonna use that line next time
Old June 9, 2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Saltydog235

I had a fellow at a pizza joint start with me one night since I was still in my cammo. I don't know if he was a true animal rights activist or just trying to start something to show off in front of his "mentoree" or if he was trying to show what a man he was. He told me how wrong killing animals was, how it wasn't civilized, how men worked for money to feed their familes, how there were grocery stores, etc.

My response went something like this. "With all due respect sir, you're so far off base you should be in another world. I'm a college educated man with two children, my wife is an attorney, we both make nice 6 figure salaries, drive nice cars, buy what we want at the grocery store, provide for our kids, have all the necessary insurance, have college funds set and own land. You don't have any right to tell me what I can and cannot do. This is after all still a free country in spite of the president you elected. I also own a boat and fish for everything that I can as well as hunt. I do these things not as a neccessity to survive but because I enjoy them, the food they provide, the fair chase and the relaxation and challenges it provides, the kill in many instances should I choose to make it is anti-climatic. I also grow many of the vegetable we eat and store for later use.

BTW, what exactly did you get on your pizza. His response "A Meat Lovers and Pepporoni." My next comment "Then until you fully understand that those were living breathing animals raised to provide nothing more than sustenance to you and your young friend I suggest that you shut the hell up and enjoy your pizza."

I have no idea other than to present the facts to the people how else you deal with them. I had an aquaintence in college that went off on one of these nutjob tangents because he dated a girl that was like that, she was severely injured in a car accident because the driver swerved to avoid a squirrel and lost control of the car. He hunts all over the place now.

You can't reason with lunacy.
Old June 9, 2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Daryl

With the few I've encountered, I usually do my best to infuriate them to the point that they completely loose what little mind they might have.

It doesn't help anything, but it's very entertaining.
Old June 9, 2011, 04:04 PM   #14
Rifleman1776

Reason doesn't apply with some types.
Walk away.
Old June 9, 2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Mainah

Animal rights activists are like us in that they're not all the same. If someone gives me a hard time about hunting my first question is "do you eat meat". If the answer is yes then it's a pretty quick debate. If you don't take the time to find out where your meat comes from then you shouldn't try to lecture anyone.

If the answer is no then at least I know I'm dealing with someone who has some serious convictions that I most likely won't bend. So I usually just request that we agree to disagree.

Some of the most committed "animal rights activists" that I've met have also been hunters.
Old June 9, 2011, 04:46 PM   #16
FrontSight

I have learned that it is impossible to reason with them, because they suffer from a mental illness called Reaction Formation.

This is not a joke or a stretch of the imagination; they literally have his mental disease. I learned about it in psychology class.

It means that they have a lot of anger and hatred inside them, and they want to violent things, but they know it is socially unacceptable to do so, so they try to justify it by saying they are committing the violent acts "for a good cause; for the sake of the animals."

But in actuality, they are just mentally ill and have a deep, sick hatred for people and want to hurt them.

See the middle of page 102 of this psychology book in this link for a longer explanation:

http://books.google.com/books?id=4_F...rights&f=false

And by the way, want to see a blank stare? Next time they tell you that killing anything is wrong, ask them if they have ever had a cold or a pimple. When then respond with the inevitable "Yes, of course" then ask them why did they allow their bodies to kill those germs if killing anything is wrong.

And then go a step further and ask them why haven't they given themselves AIDS yet, so that they will no longer have an immune system to kill any more of these germs. 'Cause, you know, they claim killing anything is so wrong.

Last edited by FrontSight; June 9, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old June 9, 2011, 05:02 PM   #17
Tuzo

Animals have rights

Animals have rights:
  • To not be abused.
  • To be killed humanely during a hunt.
  • To be killed humanely in a slaughter house.
  • To be treated with respect due a living creature.
  • To not be killed for the sake of killing.

I see no reason to shoot a songbird for the sake of target practice. Nor do I see reason to kill a deer for only the backstrap and leaving the remainder to rot. But, I do see reason to kill a damaging pest, an animal for food, for game management, and for other well meaning reasons.

PETA has good reason to exist but not at the expense of decent hunters and others who choose to eat meat. Some PETA members are extreme and do not deserve recognition. As my son often says about puzzling behavior "They don't think like we do."
Old June 9, 2011, 05:11 PM   #18
FrontSight

Quote:
PETA members ..."They don't think."
Fixed it for you
Old June 9, 2011, 05:41 PM   #19
Jack O'Conner

Ask them if they're Vegetarian. Meat comes from the muscle tissues of animals.

Jack
Old June 9, 2011, 06:10 PM   #20
PawPaw

I remind them that outfits like Ducks Unlimited and the Wild Turkey Federation has done more to restore animal habitat than all the animal rights activists in the world combined. That Pittman-Robertson money is taken from hunters as a tax and used to fund wildlife management areas and wildlife refuges that all citizens can use. I remind them that hunters and fishermen pay license fees that help fund state wildlife agencies. I tell them that hunters invest in the deer herds by leasing land to hunt, planting food plots and managing the resource that the animal right folks often only talk about.

I figure that my deer hunting costs me over $1000.00 per year so that I can enjoy my sport. If you break it down into dollars per pound of meat, I'd be a whole lot better off by buying my meat from the grocer.

I spent all afternoon today in 90+ degree weather, walking my deer lease. I didn't see any animal rights activists worrying about my deer herd.

If they won't listen to reason, tell them to put up or shut up.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 9, 2011, 06:45 PM   #21
Daryl

Quote:
If the answer is no then at least I know I'm dealing with someone who has some serious convictions that I most likely won't bend. So I usually just request that we agree to disagree.
'Bout 20 years ago, I worked with a fella who was an outspoken "animal rights activist". He didn't eat meat, and was definitely anti-hunting in his limited thought process.

But he regularly wore a leather jacket, and leather shoes to work each day. He also had well worn leather seats in his vehicle.

Yeah, it was fun giving him heck when he tried to tell us we were wrong for hunting.

Daryl
Old June 9, 2011, 06:50 PM   #22
blkft1

"The only way is to deal with them the same as a religious fanatic. Tell them to go away to their own little world and leave you alone."

"Reason doesn't apply with some types.
Walk away."

Thats about the best two answers and I've applied them to all types of "People[s] of Opinions".
Old June 9, 2011, 08:34 PM   #23
TJH3781

I just tell them that not eating animals is against the will of God.
If we were not supposed to eat them, they would not be made out of food.

Remember, PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals.
Old June 9, 2011, 08:55 PM   #24
stevelyn

You can't reason with them They operate on pure emotion.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:21 PM   #25
C0untZer0

In Chicago a bunch of "progressive" and liberal minded city aldermen (and women), spent their time crafting a law making it illegal to serve foie gras in the city.

The idea that animals would or could be granted rights is very scary.

I can't beleive these animal rights activists will spend all their time and energy on this cause - when there are kids that are dying from childhood illnesses. If all of the animal rights activists took the money that they spend on animal "rights" issues and focused that money just on any horrible disease, we would probably see major progress toward a cure/

Last edited by Art Eatman; June 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Politics removed. Shortened for clarity.
Closed Thread