The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 20, 2011, 05:41 PM   #526
Dragline45

Kind of a useless round in my opinion, if I want a powerful .32 caliber round ill take the .32H&R mag. We could lengthen cases and add more powder all day long and call it a new round, I just see no need for the .327.
Old September 21, 2011, 07:10 PM   #527
Crankylove

Quote:
I just see no need for the .327.
Does there have to be a specific need for a cartridge (any cartridge) for some one to produce it, and some one else to buy and enjoy it?

Whats wrong with a little variety?
Old September 21, 2011, 07:19 PM   #528
9mm

Quote:
Whats wrong with a little variety?
$$

Look at the 45GAP
Old September 21, 2011, 08:33 PM   #529
Crankylove

Quote:
$$
Not sure I understand your response.

Even if there were only one option for a pistol............it would still cost money.........so saying that the problem with a little variety, with having a caliber that some may deem unnecessary, is money.........confuses me.

The .45 GAP offered nothing but a smaller grip, which apparently many people don't consider reason enough to buy guns in that chambering. It offered no performance gains over the .45 Auto, unlike the .327 Magnum over previous .32 caliber cartridges.

If you don't like the new .327, that's your choice, but it doesn't mean I can't like it, or use and be perfectly happy with it..........even though I have a .357 revolver too.
Old September 22, 2011, 03:34 AM   #530
zfk55

Kind of a useless round in my opinion, if I want a powerful .32 caliber round ill take the .32H&R mag. We could lengthen cases and add more powder all day long and call it a new round, I just see no need for the .327.

So how long did you have yours before you decided it was useless?

And I have to ask... did you bother to actually read the whole thread with all of the pertinent info and specs before you posted your considered opinion?

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'

Last edited by zfk55; September 22, 2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old September 22, 2011, 06:10 PM   #531
igousigloo

327 Federal

I have a ruger sp101 327 mag. and I really like it. When I first got it ammo was hard to find and expensive so I fired 32 acp through it at the range. I had no problems with that. Ruger is also making a stainless blackhawk in that caliber.
Old September 22, 2011, 11:43 PM   #532
FrankenMauser

igousigloo - The Ruger SP101 (3"), Ruger GP100 (4"), and Ruger Blackhawk (5.5"), all under one roof:

Ignore the blued Rugers. They're chambered for weird, obsolete cartridges: .357 Mag, .41 Mag, and .44 Mag.

Having shot all three... I can tell you the GP100 is a fantastic platform for this cartridge. The SP101 has its place, and the Blackhawk has its place; but the GP100 really shines.

My cross-country move has been postponed until next year (stupid housing market...), so I'm in the process of setting my reloading room back up. Once it's ready to go, I have a significant amount of catch-up reloading to do for the .32 caliber cartridge assortment I love. Once that is taken care of, I plan to start .327 load development cycle #2, focused on the GP100 loads. I have a large number of loads to test over the fall, winter, and spring. Between the three Ruger .327s in the photo (SP101 belongs to Crankylove), I hope to provide other fans with some decent data (just need to start persuading the chronograph owner to let me borrow it again...).
Old September 23, 2011, 12:19 PM   #533
rclark

Quote:
I just see no need for the .327.
My opinion too. Note 'opinion' ... and I bet a lot of shooters share that opinion. I am not 'knocking' those that like the .327 and its variants when I say this. Same with those that shoot the .41Mag. Enjoy them. I suppose someone else would say the same thing about the lowly .45 Colt cartridge that I like so well . I just feel that I personally don't 'need' it because the .357/.38 will do everything (and more) than any of the .32 variants will do and at lower pressures. When I go smaller I move to the .22 and .22Mag.... Has nothing to do with how it is marketed to me.... That wouldn't make any difference. So, in my mind, there will be an steep uphill battle to 'convince' shooters to 'embrace' the .327 in general.

How's that saying go "The .327 is a solution to a non-existing problem?".

Quote:
Does there have to be a specific need for a cartridge (any cartridge) for some one to produce it, and some one else to buy and enjoy it?
Nope. Just don't expect a lot of buyers which in turn means not many choices. A niche cartridge so to speak.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 23, 2011, 09:15 PM   #534
Colorado Redneck

Niche cartridge

I don't mind a "niche cartridge." Something different, maybe better than what you might already have. A gun seldom loses value, and I have traded a few that I didn't like. If they have lost value as trades, I look at how much it costs to play golf or fly gliders, and think to myself "What the heck? I didn't care for that gun and I ain't married to it." So I kiss it goodbye and let the next person enjoy it.

I have really begun to like my .327 SP 101 and look forward to lots of trips to the range with it. Reading FrankenMauser's words about the GP 100 may tempt me to get one of those too.

So, it is good to hear the opinions of others, and it isn't a matter of right and wrong. It makes no difference if most people don't like what I like. If a shooter doesn't want a .327 then don't get one. You won't know what you are missing. And there will be one less reloader hunting for those components that are hard to come by right now.
Old September 25, 2011, 12:59 AM   #535
FrankenMauser

The .327 Federal has more uses than self defense (especially in barrels over 4 inches)....

This is a posed photo, and the weapon was not used (not legal for big game in that state). However, I would have felt 100% confident with the .327 Blackhawk or .327 GP100, and it IS legal in my home state (too bad I don't hunt in my own state....). Just tying to stir the pot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1834_edit_800.jpg (190.0 KB, 613 views)
Old September 25, 2011, 02:57 AM   #536
kozak6

The .327 mag is a little low powered for hunting big game.

Out of a 4" barrel, 115 grain loads are comparable to a 9mm +P+ and 85 grain loads are pretty close to 7.62x25.
Old September 25, 2011, 06:55 AM   #537
Crosshair

Quote:
This is a posed photo, and the weapon was not used (not legal for big game in that state)
I once went through the gun hunting regulations looking for loopholes. One that I found was that the 32 H&R would not be legal for hunting deer, while the 32-20 was, as the regulation was based on case length. Don't have a copy of the regs to see if the .327 Federal would be legal.
Old September 25, 2011, 07:34 AM   #538
Crankylove

Quote:
Don't have a copy of the regs to see if the .327 Federal would be legal.
The state where this speed goat was harvested has caliber and case length requirements. Minimum of .35 caliber for handguns.......can't remember the length requirement off the top of my head right now though.

I would have no issues using the .327 Mag for game up to deer size, and in my home state it would be legal for any game animal I can get a tag for.
Old September 26, 2011, 12:12 AM   #539
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The .327 mag is a little low powered for hunting big game.

Out of a 4" barrel, 115 grain loads are comparable to a 9mm +P+ and 85 grain loads are pretty close to 7.62x25.
9mm +P+ ... You do know what that means, right? That means the load is beyond SAAMI limits (even +P loads), and is unregulated. You have NO idea what pressure level the load is actually reaching.
Trying to use "9mm +P+" as a baseline is like trying to compare all cars to a "Custom Supercharged Mustang". Okay... What engine? Compression ratio? Cam grind? Stroked? Bored? Pistons? What octane fuel? Gear ratios? How has it been customized? Weight loss program? And, on, and on. But most of all: Does the driver actually know how to use the power available for the most benefit? If the operator can get the job done just as well with the lower-power (.327 or V6) version of something, what's the point of wasting energy on the "big" stuff (.44 Mag or V8)?

That Antelope expired very quickly, with a teeny little .277" hole through both lungs. No evidence of hydro-static shock. No heart shot. ...Just a little bitty hole through the lungs. If the .327 was legal, it would have been even more efficient. Antelope are so small and fragile, that all but the softest of rifle bullets just punch right through. In fact, I don't think we've ever recovered even a pistol bullet from antelope (including .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Auto; hand loads and a couple rounds of SD ammo).

Like all hunting (or any use of a firearm); it's not the cartridge that matters... it's how you use it. Taking 300 yard shots with a .327 would be pretty stupid (and the same thing applies to pretty much any pistol cartridge). On the other hand, I try to get as close as I can, anyway. For me, switching from the .44 Mag Super Blackhawk to the .327 GP100 or .327 Blackhawk is nothing at all; and the cartridge is perfectly capable of providing the performance necessary for a clean kill.

If I get a chance to hunt Antelope or Deer in Utah (where it's legal) next year, one of the .327s will be my primary weapon (not the backup). And, when I get to Nawth Cackalacky (that's "North Carolina" in English), a .327 will be the primary Whitetail weapon.
Old September 30, 2011, 09:17 PM   #540
zfk55

I had my Ruger SP101 .327 with me after a round of rifle shooting so I used one of the rifle targets at 15 yards.

Not bad for a snubby.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old October 1, 2011, 08:22 PM   #541
igousigloo

327 Mag.

I just picked up a Taurus M327 2" yesterday and took it to the range for trial. First 18 rounds in a 4" card at 30 ft., double action. I like it already.
Old October 2, 2011, 12:49 AM   #542
FrankenMauser

Sounds like a keeper.

I'm still debating on the Taurus M327, as well (the standard blued model, not the bobbed-hammer version). After selling off some camping gear, and getting paid for a roofing job.... I have plenty of cash sitting here.

I just can't decide if I want the Taurus more than some bullet swaging gear. I think the swaging gear may win the debate, but knowing the M327 has been discontinued adds a little more "risk" to passing it up.

The only reason I mention the internal debate here, is because the swaging equipment I want to pick up is for .312" bullets. It would allow me to feed cheaper RN bullets to my family's .32 caliber rifles, as well as hand-tailored RN-SP, RN-FP, or RN-HP bullets for .327 applications (I can adjust the materials and process to vary "toughness", fragility, core bonding, length, nose type {HP, SP, FP}, and several other factors; but the basic Round Nose shape is a constant).

The basic equipment is paid for. It's the .312" equipment that I can't decide on, since it commands another $600-800 investment.

Buy myself a Taurus, and I have to feed it forever...
Build a better bullet, and feed the other .327s forever...

It's so tough. The 2" barrel sucks, and it's a Taurus... but I still want one.
Decisions. Decisions....
Old October 2, 2011, 12:50 AM   #543
9mm

Quote:
.327 Federal: What went wrong? A study in marketing to the public

Where is the link to the study?
Old October 2, 2011, 04:45 PM   #544
Crankylove

Quote:
Decisions. Decisions....
I say swaging equipment.........I need a source of cheap and plentifull bullets for my Sp101
Old October 2, 2011, 05:40 PM   #545
mkk41

America is the land of the big-bore. Ever since the wild west and the Colt .45 SAA. Reinforced in 2 world wars by the .45 ACP 1911 and 1917 revolvers.

At one time , the .32 S&W was the most popular pocket revolver and the .32 Long was the most popular target round in America.

Then came the .38 Special and .357 magnum.

Now , .32 S&W short or long is expensive and hard to find.

When the .32 H&R came out , there was a brief resurgance , and the new 'magnum' ammo was on shelves. Now , it's scarce as hens teeth and very expensive.
No police departments large or small issue it so it's doubtful any useful data on effectiveness against bad guys will be compiled.

I do believe the .327 Federal will be in the same boat in another 3-5 years.
Old October 2, 2011, 09:29 PM   #546
farmboy

"Where is the link to the study?"

This thread is the study.
Old October 3, 2011, 10:13 AM   #547
Glenn E. Meyer

And has become Big Bore!

Anyway, I love my SW comp'ed 632. So that's that. I also love my 432 as a light pocket gun.

Yeah, I usually carry a Big Bore. But still like those guys.
Old October 3, 2011, 10:28 AM   #548
L_Killkenny

Yes we are the land of the big bore. Back in the day it was due to nessesity. If your gonna have a slow and solid lead projectile than it had better be a big one. Modern powder and bullets have made size much less of an issue today but still, we here like are big powerful toys. Not an issue, if you want bigger buy bigger. But oh the fun you'll be missin!

LK
Old October 16, 2011, 10:07 AM   #549
L2R

update on the home front

for the few who might remember, I have just bought all the reloading equipment so I can shoot my .327 to my hearts content.

2 years ago, I lost my only outdoor place to shoot. I have been looking for clubs or places since. This $@#$% pistol I so dearly love to shoot reminded me of my delimma. I can't test my loads. Indoor range does not allow bench rests or any testing.

After months of waiting, I got an email last Thursday. I got an invitation to join a gun club. YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

85 acres. 5 trap machines, 3 sheet stations, 3 or 4 pistol pits and a 200 yard rifle range.

The last piece of the puzzle is solved. I gladly paid the dues and fees and waiting for the paperwork to clear.

So I have everything to proceed this winter to reload some 327s and hopefully find a couple of good recipes for target practicing and hunting.

I only need a chrony now so I will be looking for a good used one. Anyone want to offer advice on brand or model would be great. thanks.
Old October 16, 2011, 10:20 AM   #550
Glenn E. Meyer

Saw some Ruger SP101 in 327 at Cabela's yesterday.

BTW, Cabela's can't figure out SW gun numbers. They had a J frame 22 marked as a 632 (the 327 gun). The 22 is a 63-2. Haha. I told the old gun guy that I was being a picky gun nut. He sighed and says corporate prints them.