The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 16, 2005, 05:02 PM   #1
38splfan

Hhhhheeeeeeellllpppppp!!!!!!!

I am in deep doo-doo with my Star BM!!!!
Under the safety there is a small spring. It is now protruding from the gun, blocking the safety from moving. I did this accidentally while dissassembling. I cannot figure out how to reassemble it. I have the link to the assembly/manual at the Star page, but it does not help. The assembly instructions are for the Model B and they are not the same. Also, the pictures are small and useless.
It is a small spring with a pin-like thing in it. It seems to go all the way through, but I am not sure. It is right in the path of the safety lever. It is located directly beneath the orange-marked safety indicator indentation.

Can anyone tell me how it gooes back in and what tools I will need to do it?
Old January 16, 2005, 05:17 PM   #2
38splfan

Closer inspection.

It seems that the protruding object is supposed to be behind the safety lever. there are two notches in the back of the lever, one for on and one for off I assume. The lever is now rotated farther downward than the off position, and cannot go back up until this thing is back under it.

Can anyone tell me how to get it back where it belongs, and KEEP IT THERE?
Old January 16, 2005, 06:35 PM   #3
DnPRK

The plunger goes into the end of the spring. The plunger/spring assembly goes into the hole in the middle of the hammer pin. The hammer pin is usually covered by the thumb safety.

I would try to work the plunger/spring assembly back into it's hole using a tiny knife blade. Try not to distort the spring.

If it will not go into the hole, then work it out, again without distorting the spring. Remove the thumb safety. Put the plunger/spring assembly into it's hole and replace the thumb safety, trapping the plunger/spring assembly.
Old January 16, 2005, 07:28 PM   #4
38splfan

Thanks a lot.

Got it just a minute ago with the edge of a dime. Removed hammer pin and reassembled, reinstalled, and then lowered to rotate safety. Thanks for the help. This is my first attempt at disassembling a handgun this far, wasdoing it for refinishing. The completed pics are in the semi-auto forum.
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Always good to know that there is someone out there who has the answers