The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 18, 2013, 10:25 AM   #26
Hunter Customs

318 I hope you have better luck with your conservation department then I did.

I called ours twice on a couple of illegal activites I witnessed, but they told me they did not have time to mess with it.
So I decided right then, that if they don't have time or care, I'll never waste my time calling again.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 18, 2013, 11:26 AM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hunter Custom, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they lacked staff and budget to deal with the workload.

My home county in Texas is the size of the state of Delaware. We have three game wardens to cover the whole area. One "development" of some 200,000 acres with around 4,000 small tracts has 1,100 miles of graded jeep trails. That leaves three million acres outside of Big Bend National Park. Good luck, guys.

People gripe about the cost of hunting/fishing licenses, but that's the primary source of income for most wildlife agencies. Better enforcement would require higher fees. The federal money from excise taxes on firearms helps, but not enough.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:57 AM   #28
MLeake

Seems to me, when I was a kid in Maine, our game wardens were often busy trying to find lost hikers and hunters, rather than looking for poachers.

Not that they didn't look for poachers, just that they had a pretty full plate.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:41 PM   #29
shortwave

Think it's bad now?

Wait till this happens...

http://www.examiner.com/article/budg...-act-impacting
Old January 18, 2013, 04:39 PM   #30

Leprosy? And i moan about stray cats in my garbage. One thing about ohio, i hate it, but dont have to worry about anything dangerous to myself and family. We have timber rattlers but i have never met anyone that has ever seen one. I bowhunt 6 days a week, turkey hunt 6 days a week, never have seen any type of snake. Ever
Old January 18, 2013, 07:34 PM   #31
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Hunter Custom, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they lacked staff and budget to deal with the workload.
Art, I don' believe that's a problem here in Missouri.
We have a conservation department that's very well off.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 18, 2013, 10:16 PM   #32
reynolds357

Berdan, Armadillos dig holes and root. They kill my young fruit trees. I also twisted my ankle because of one of their holes.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:10 AM   #33
SPEMack618

In regards to armadillo, they are vectors for chargas and leposry.

Also, if the above wasn't enough to warrant a well placed .22 LR the fact that the burroughing buggers can cause massive problems for livestock.

Same with gophers, those I don't know if I've ever actually seen a gopher round these parts.

Also, in the winter, it isn't unkown for a coyote to isolate a young calf or smaller cow and feast away.

My Big Sister 4-H prize winning cow met a tragic end to a coyote(s) when she was in middle school and I was in elementary school.

Pop and I hunted those things for weeks in effort to stop her from crying.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:00 AM   #34
jason_iowa

I have a hard time blaming the guys that poach a deer to make sure their family has meat to eat. Hell I shoot the rabbits and woodchucks that tear up my back yard. Which is poaching i suppose.

When I find a deer with backstraps and maybe hindquarters gone or even worse when they just cut the head off that ****** me off.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:51 AM   #35

I do have a problem with people poaching deer to feed their family. If they poach, they have guns. Kill deer during hunting season. Or sell the guns and buy groceries. Poaching is poaching. Imho. I mean no disrespect, but their are laws in place to preserve hunting for future generations. Poaching is wrong, no matter the circumstance
Old January 19, 2013, 08:59 AM   #36
BerdanSS

Hey Mack...I'll put one of our Indiana groundhogs against your guys armadillos any day If you've never met with them, I can tell you...."they ain't no gopher"

Gopher

Ground Hog

Dad and I have walked up on several of these guys out by his barn that measured about 3 feet long and weighed in the neighborhood of 28+ pounds. You can imagine the tunnel and hole they leave. They are surprisingly fast, and can get pretty mean if you corner one. They reproduce like crazy too, having anywhere from 4-12 pups per litter.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:32 AM   #37
Hawg

Quote:
We have timber rattlers but i have never met anyone that has ever seen one. I bowhunt 6 days a week, turkey hunt 6 days a week, never have seen any type of snake. Ever
Snakes hibernate during the winter.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:55 AM   #38
MLeake

Snakes and cold don't go together well; even in weather where they don't hibernate, they are pretty torpid, and usually burrowed someplace warm.

Hit those same woods in the summer, and you might see them - but you might not.

One guy I work with encountered one in his firewood pile, a few years back. No permanent tissue damage in his arm, but for a while there it was iffy.

Odds are, he surprised the snake.

Most snakes do not want to encounter larger animals, such as humans, and when they feel the vibrations from your footsteps most will retreat.

People I've known that have been bitten have usually stepped into a dark or brushy area, or reached into brush or wood piles.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:47 PM   #39
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hokay. Enough drift OT for a Saturday.
Closed Thread