The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 5, 2006, 04:35 PM   #1
jiminthecorner

Remington model 8 & 8A??

I have a model 8 A in 35 rem. and previously had a model 8,also in 35 rem. Does anyone know the difference between the8 & 8A?? I do know that Bonnie & Clyde were shot with an 8A in 35rem, is the 8A a police version ?? Any help would be appreciated .Thanks JITC
Old December 6, 2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Scorch

I believe one difference was a removable magazine. I had a model 8 that had a fixed mag, but I have seen some with removable mags.

Last edited by Scorch; December 6, 2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old December 6, 2006, 01:43 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

AFAIK, the letter indicated special features. The 8A was standard with a straight stock, the 8C had a pistol grip and high grade stock, etc. The grades were in the catalog but were not marked on the rifle.

The 81 differed from the 8 by having an additional firing pin spring to eliminate the possibility of firing out of battery due to firing pin creep.

Some writers say that the 8 and 81 have a detachable magzine, but I have never seen one in a standard rifle. I believe that may have been a special order for police or an after-market conversion.

Jim