The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 4, 2006, 05:32 PM   #1
bennnn

K98 Mauser Gurus... Help....

I need some detailed info about how to remove the round STAINLESS STEEL
"thing" that goes all the way through the Butt end of a K98 mauser....
I'M NOT ASKING ABOUT THE CROSS BRACE IN FRONT OF THE MAG WELL...
The guys that know will know what I'm talking about,,,, The STAINLESS ROUNDS below the sling hole.... What are your preferred or best methods to get them/it out/off without marking up the stock....????
Old October 4, 2006, 05:48 PM   #2
spacemanspiff

You are talking about the hole that is there so you can safely disassemble the bolt: putting the firing pin end through the hold gives enough stability to muscle the spring down far enough so you can unscrew the, umm, going to misidentify it, but the bolt head is what my guess is.

I doubt there is much need to remove that from the stock. You trying to do a deep clean?
Old October 4, 2006, 06:29 PM   #3
bennnn

Yes, I'm going to do a "deep clean" but I'm also going to totally refinish it,,,, don't freak,,,it's not a collector quality rifle, some #'s match, some don't, but it's all operational, accurate, and mine... It's a really sweet peice of wood with great grain, I'm going to lightly stain and then oil finish, but I want to sand it smooth as glass after I sweat the cosmo out, but I'm going to buff the stainless butt plate and this "thing" seperately (assuming I can get it out.....),, and I don't want to scratch it up while sanding the stock....

But, spacemanspiff, really great info, thanks alot for enlightening me on that..

Now that I know what it's there for, who can tell me what it's called and most importantly,,,,,, HOW TO REMOVE IT.....?????
Old October 4, 2006, 07:54 PM   #4
hivel37

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp

May you find help here.
Old October 4, 2006, 09:23 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, neither the butt plate nor the bolt disassembly discs are stainless steel.

The bolt disassembly unit is made by inserting the tube, then putting the discs on the tube and swaging the tube outward to hold them in. You can see that if you look closely. The tube can be driven through or drilled out, but the first has the potential for damaging the stock and the latter will ruin the unit for re-installation.

My suggestion is to work around the discs, then shine them up in place.

Jim
Old October 5, 2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

round thing

Dear Sir.
On one side I believe there is visible the "tube" that goes through the stock. To do this so there is no damage turn a punch so that it has a SMALL shoulder that just goes in a short distance and stops in that small shoulder and drive it out. Still, sometimes there may be some small splitting where the other side comes loose from the stock. Hope this works - if there is some splitting use Gorilla Glue.
Harry B.
Old October 5, 2006, 09:55 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Harry and bennnn,

My comment about driving out the tube and possibly damaging the stock was the voice of experience. I prefer to let bennnnn decide if getting a "clean" stock is worth the possible need for the glue.

Jim
Old October 6, 2006, 02:52 AM   #8
bennnn

Hey Jim, I read somewhere on the net that those peices were stainless, but I never actually tested them with a magnet, untill just now. Yup, not stainless,,, the internet strikes again, I should have known better.....

I sure don't want to chip, crack, split, or otherwise harm the stock,, so I'm going to take your advice.

Thanks alot guys.
Old October 6, 2006, 12:19 PM   #9
spacemanspiff

Be sure to post pics of your project once its done.
Old October 6, 2006, 05:20 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Stainless steel in the 1930's and early 40's was a pretty rare commodity, and when it was tried, it chewed up machine tools something awful. The U.S. Ordnance Department agonized about making the M1 gas cylinders out of stainless steel, but finally decided they had no choice if the rifles were to be kept shooting.

Jim
Old October 6, 2006, 05:40 PM   #11
cntryboy1289

Funny how shiny polished steel can be and stay that way for a long time. The bushing on my 45 is polished steel and gus think it is stainless a good bit of the time.
Old October 7, 2006, 01:00 AM   #12
bennnn

When I get done with the wood I will post some pics, I left the top handgaurd alone for now to have a little before and after, I took it all apart and started cleaning all in one go, and didn't take a full before pic....

I'm not going to use any type of shellac or other hard sealer after the stain, I really love the look of an oil finish, I'm leaning towards lemon oil right now,
I have a few peices of wood that are pretty similar to the stock, and I have sanded and stained them at the same time, I'm spending Sat. morning choosing which oil to go with, can you guys give me some ideas?

All of the stock has matching #'s, and it's a white glue laminate.....
I don't know if this is how they all are but it seems like it's made out of two pretty thick pieces of whole wood, and the center is all thin laminate pieces.

This is just the beginning of what I want to do with this rifle, more threads on the way.... My sig line says it all....
Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming.
Old October 9, 2006, 07:56 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

You are very welcome. (I tried to reply to your PM, but their system drives me nuts, so I gave up.)

Jim
Old October 10, 2006, 04:57 AM   #14
bennnn

Here's where I am with the stock so far. I might put one more coat of stain on it tonight......

Last edited by bennnn; October 10, 2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old October 10, 2006, 07:57 PM   #15
bennnn

Here is the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo008.jpg (93.2 KB, 39 views)