The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2011, 06:31 PM   #1
RsqVet

Colt Custom Commander Series 70

Picked up another pawn shop refugee. Colt series 70 combat commander
"Robby Shipley Special" (marked on the frame) From what I am finding was a colt custom shop run in the late 70's / early 80's for a gent in Texas who had pull with the custom shop, only went through one distributor / shop in texas. 100 or so guns total from what I can find.

Is factory nickel plated high polish on the flats and matte elsewhere with gold cup trigger and one seriously nice trigger pull. Beveled mag well. Very tight slide to frame and barrel to slide fit. Slide numbered to frame. Only downside is lame pearlite aftermarket grips. Finish looks to be about 90%, has been carried a little and shows it, internally does not appear shot much at all.

S/n is 70BS4XXXXX

I take it this dates the gun to 1981? Looking at the colt serial number list it would appear that way though they do not appear to list BS as the standard letter part of the serial only B. Does the BS mean custom?

Anyone have an idea as to value? I bought it as it seemed like a great condition series 70 commander, not really considering any collector value in terms of what I paid, though I don't plan to shoot it a ton I am curious as to what if any value above being an older colt it has. .
Old September 20, 2011, 06:38 PM   #2
ToraBoraBlues

Doesn't sound like it's worth that much at all. I'll take it off your hands for, oh, 500 dollars

Sounds like a good find. All the pawn shops I've been to want prices higher than what I have bought new guns for.
Old September 20, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3
RsqVet

Ha ha tora. I hear you on prices... This place had a plain old remmington 870 police priced at 900 and change. Yeah not a deal but amusing maybe someone will pay that for some reason. I have to admit I am addicted to pawn shops, you never know what will pop up and the prices really are not rational.

This place had enough odd ball stuff to be worth looking. I guess I now have a BBQ gun as I can not wait to shoot it but will big be shooting or carrying it a ton.

Still very impressed with the fit on it. If I saw new colts like this I would have more new colts.
Old September 20, 2011, 11:44 PM   #4
RamItOne

Something wrong with the upload feature???? Where are the pics? (:
Haven't found anything old worth picking up in the pawn shops or gun shows here. It was different in Texas.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Carry_24/7

Pawn shops used to be a place where you could find good deals in most regions 10 years, ago, but those days are mostly gone....IMHO.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
zachkuby87

I've given up on pawn shops everytime I go they have beat junk guns with insane prices at least the few around here do... the part that amazes me is there is almost always somone picking one of them up. I always want to say something but if someone is dumb enough to buy at those pricesit there business not mine.
Old September 21, 2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca

There is no such critter as a "Series 70 Commander." What you have is a Commander (or Combat Commander) that does not have a Series 80 firing pin safety. That doesn't make it a Series 70. Series 70 was available only in 5" Government models.
Old September 21, 2011, 10:33 PM   #8
KyJim

Quote:
There is no such critter as a "Series 70 Commander."
They are sometimes referred to as a Pre-Series 70 Commander or Combat Commander, though that is not the official designation. People incorrectly refer to any 1911 without a firing pin block as a "Series 70." Below is a picture of my 9mm "Pre-Series 70" Combat Commander:

Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.