The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 23, 2010, 08:05 PM   #1
jhgreasemonkey

Why can't I swap the barrel ithaca 37r?

I have a 1950 ithaca 37r and would like to use it for trap but it has a 19 inch barrel. According the Ithaca's website the serial number is too low to get an interchangable barrel. I just find that strange because the barrel removes and installs so easily. Anyone know why I can't do this, or if I have another option? Thanks.
Old July 23, 2010, 08:31 PM   #2
sceva

Ithaca changed the thread / thread length and the later barrels will not interchange with those made before the change. You would need to find a barrel of the correct vintage and it will fit.
You need to be careful because putting the wrong barrel can either result in not going on at all or going on and having grossly excess headspace which results in the shell head expanding so badly it looks like a large belt in front of the rim.
Old July 23, 2010, 08:32 PM   #3
oneounceload

Older barrels were fitted to the gun which is why you can't do what you want
Old July 23, 2010, 11:59 PM   #4
slohand45

Don't know it this will help but here goes.

When I got my police/HD short barrel for an 870,I picked one threaded for chokes so loads could be tuned with Imp/Mod Cyl. chokes. Along the way a rifled extension turned up and it gave me the chance to try saboted slugs.
Turns out the combo rocks out past 100 yards and solves not only my desire for a slug gun but also a light urban rifle with a nasty punch.

Now for your problem; A nieghbor got the barrel crushed on his elderly off brand family pump gun and could'nt find one anywhere and he really loves that gun. My deal with my pump gave me the idea and we took it to a local smith and he made it work.
Basically just cut the barrel off and threaded it for the rifled extension,then cut another barrel from his scrap can and cut a piece to replace missing part of his barrel. He was careful about the contour and the machining of the shoulder and threads on the extension and with a crush washer and some small cuts for a spanner to tighten the barrel on and off,BINGO!
My nieghbor now has his gun back,a slug gun and an HD and long barrel with chokes for both.Man is he jazzed.
The smith was pumped because he'd never considered that fix on a damaged barrel before and now everbody is happy.
Don't know if your Ithica is threaded for chokes or if you feel it's worth this much trouble but if it's an heirloom gun or something it might be a soulution and it should'nt hurt the original configuration of the gun.Plus it could give you other options you had'nt considered.(don't quit when you're hit)
Old July 24, 2010, 01:15 AM   #5
slohand45

Don't know it this will help but here goes.

When I got my police/HD short barrel for an 870,I picked one threaded for chokes so loads could be tuned with Imp/Mod Cyl. chokes. Along the way a rifled extension turned up and it gave me the chance to try saboted slugs.
Turns out the combo rocks out past 100 yards and solves not only my desire for a slug gun but also a light urban rifle with a nasty punch.

Now for your problem; A nieghbor got the barrel crushed on his elderly off brand family pump gun and could'nt find one anywhere and he really loves that gun. My deal with my pump gave me the idea and we took it to a local smith and he made it work.
Basically just cut the barrel off and threaded it for the rifled extension,then cut another barrel from his scrap can and cut a piece to replace missing part of his barrel. He was careful about the contour and the machining of the shoulder and threads on the extension and with a crush washer and some small cuts for a spanner to tighten the barrel on and off,BINGO!
My nieghbor now has his gun back,a slug gun and an HD and long barrel with chokes for both.Man is he jazzed.
The smith was pumped because he'd never considered that fix on a damaged barrel before and now everbody is happy.
Don't know if your Ithica is threaded for chokes or if you feel it's worth this much trouble but if it's an heirloom gun or something it might be a soulution and it should'nt hurt the original configuration of the gun.Plus it could give you other options you had'nt considered.(don't quit when you're hit)
Old July 24, 2010, 04:47 PM   #6
southpaw02

Model 37 R

Those pre 855000 (1963) guns barrels were mated to each gun. That is why the serial number is on the barrel & the receiver. So if you find a correct vintage or newer barrel it will need to be fitted by a gunsmith. A good one will also put the correct serial number on the barrel.

I doubt you will find a solid rib barrel. More than likely it will be plain you might also find a vent ribbed barrel. However,it might be a little pricey.

Hope this helps.

SP
Old July 24, 2010, 05:20 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

Try www.diamondgunsmithing.com they specialize in the Ithaca shotguns. They may be of some help.
Old July 30, 2010, 06:40 PM   #8
kozak6

The older guns have helical threads, while the newer interchangeable barrels have straight threads.

Ithaca can fit an adaptor to your shotgun, but it's rather expensive.