The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
nickl405

Case Trimmer

I need a .223 case trimmer, I have the Lee press kit so I was going to buy the lee case length gauge in .223 but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know where I can find it or have an opinion on something else i should get? I'm a college student so I'm on a pretty tight budget and 4 bucks sounded like a pretty good deal.
Old March 25, 2008, 04:27 PM   #2
azredhawk44

I'm using the Lee system for .308.

Trust me, don't do it. It'll work for you for a couple thousand rounds or so, but your hands will hate you after a year or two.

You can get it at http://www.midwayusa.com if you really, really want it though.

I'd suggest a lathe-style case trimmer of some sort. That's what I'm buying next month when money permits. You should be able to get the whole case trimming setup for under $100, probably even closer to $50, depending on whose lathe you select and the quality of your flash hole deburrer/case mouth deburrer and other tools.

These look interesting, though. Sounds like it mounts in a power drill or drill press. Inexpensive, too.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=155172
Old March 25, 2008, 07:11 PM   #3
ForneyRider

Lee trimmer can be done by hand, or hooked up to a drill.

I have them in 4 different calibers.

Lee makes the Zip trim also.

MidwayUSA has been backordered on a lot of Lee stuff lately.

Here are some others: Graf & Sons, Natchez SS, Cabela's, Cheaper than Dirt.

Also, can order directly from Lee.
Old March 25, 2008, 08:46 PM   #4
slotracer577

I just got a possum hollow case trimmer for the 223 from sinclair. Mounted it in my lathe and way faster than the lee system. could just as easily mount in a drill. Price is reasonable, still less than $30.

John
Old March 26, 2008, 12:01 AM   #5
fourrobert13

Quote:
I just got a possum hollow case trimmer for the 223 from sinclair. Mounted it in my lathe and way faster than the lee system. could just as easily mount in a drill. Price is reasonable, still less than $30.
+1 for the Possum Hollow trimmer. It's the poor man's Giruard/Gracey. I have used mine to trim 5,000+ pieces of .223 brass and I will not go back to the Lee trimming system(it's hell on your wrist).
Old March 26, 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
amamnn

I can't see how you could go much faster and easier than the Lee trimmer in a drill or drill press since you are measuring and trimming in one step. I use it like that for my plinking and handgun cases. Being an ancient geezer riddled with arthritis and etc. I would have long abandoned the Lees if they were hard on my hands.

If you are loading for fun/hunting get the Lees. If you are going to load for maximum accuracy in a custom rifle, look at the Forster or Wilson lathe type trimmers. I use the Forster for my match cases. It's a sort of modular add on system, which you can buy as a case trimmer to start, then add on neck reaming parts and neck turning parts as needed.

You should have no trouble finding the Lee trimmers at Midway USA or Graf and sons online.
Old March 26, 2008, 05:51 PM   #7
wpcexpert

I bought the Forster Origional case trimmer kit from Midway. It comes with just about all the collets and "clamps" you need. It's 72.00 , but is back order right now (go figure). It's a good little trimmer and can be adapted for use with a power drill.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 26, 2008, 07:51 PM   #8
rwilson452

I use the Lee trimmer I don't know the stores around you but mine will order it for me if he doesn't have it. I also bought the Ball handled cutter. That and my cordless drill and I'm a happy camper. in fact I now buy a ball handle for every gauge I buy.
Old March 26, 2008, 08:02 PM   #9
wncchester

A guy who's strapped for cash and still wants to shoot could do no better than the Lee case trimmer system, especially if he has access to an electric trim or power screw driver. Even done by hand, it does the trimming job quite well and at a very low price. I'd go for it in a minute today if I was still as poor as I once was.
Old March 26, 2008, 09:38 PM   #10
DIXIEDOG

"I can't see how you could go much faster and easier than the Lee trimmer in a drill or drill press since you are measuring and trimming in one step."

Have you ever seen the Giraud? Trimming and deburring all done in one step, all at 500+ an hour. They are expensive but after you see them you will see how you could go much faster and easier than the Lee trimmer. It's unbelievable until you see it in action.
Old March 30, 2008, 06:35 PM   #11
marks655

Lee and one of those $69 Chinese made bench drill presses from Harbor Freight. Fantastic.
Old March 30, 2008, 08:05 PM   #12
TexasSeaRay

I've used the Lee case-length guides for years, along with their ball-grip trimmers. Zero problems. Recently added a Lee Zip Trim--damn little thing is so simple that it's genius.

Paid around fifteen bucks and change for it through Midsouth--there simply isn't a better value for your dollar than that.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.