The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2013, 09:58 PM   #1
BuckRub

Rainier 158 RN

I got 500 of these round nose coming in and have always bought the flat nose and got great accuracy. Should I get good accuracy with round nose to ? I'll be shooting these out a Taurus 65 revolver. Is the RS just as accurate as the Flat Points
Old October 7, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

Never used them. But my gut tells me they'll shoot just fine.

I've got my first Rainers coming some time this week. They're the 148 DEWC's. I plan on taper crimping them with my 9mm die. We'll see how that goes. The RCBS taper crimp die for 38/357 is in "out of stock/no backorder" status on Midway. But I have it on the watch list.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:08 PM   #3
rdmallory

Doubt you will see a difference except is the size holes in the paper. Make sure you check the OAL and don't seat too deep.

Doug
Old October 7, 2013, 10:20 PM   #4
BuckRub

I hope the hole size is the same. Usually I buy the FP but all I could find is the RN. All coming out same barrel. 38/357.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:26 PM   #5
BuckRub

I've shot thousands upon thousands for 38,357 and 40,10 and they all shoot accurate. I've always bought the FP or HP but all I found the other day was the RN. I hope they do well. Still have tons of FPs for the 40.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

Hole size <-- That's why I'm getting the DEWC's
Old October 7, 2013, 10:54 PM   #7
BuckRub

Don't understand. They're same diameter just the nose is different. They all are .357. Hopefully the whole bullet will go through the paper instead of just pricking it with the nose's.
Old October 9, 2013, 11:03 AM   #8
riverrat38

"Don't understand. They're same diameter just the nose is different. They all are .357. Hopefully the whole bullet will go through the paper instead of just pricking it with the nose's."

They make small, radial tears in the paper to allow the whole bullet to pass through.
Then, the small "flaps" spring back to leave what appears to be a smaller hole.
This happens to some extent with all bullets except full wad cutters, which cut a nice round hole, rather then tearing a hole.
I can see this on a target I shot with plated flat points. The hole is about 1/4 inch in diameter for 38 caliber. But, the bullet made it all the way through the paper. A magnifying glass shows this nicely.

Best,
Rick
Old October 9, 2013, 01:59 PM   #9
BuckRub

I dont shoot competition. only target and critters. Both of those they dont matter.
Old October 9, 2013, 07:23 PM   #10
rdmallory

Poke a hole through a sheet a paper with a pencil and with a hole punch.

They will both be about 5/16, but one will be easier to see.

Now if your poking holes in possums the pencil will be easier than the hole punch and both would look the same size.

Doug