The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 16, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1
spacecoast

Cheap ammo no problem at today's Bullseye match

With the current scarcity of .22LR, I'm been forced to start hoarding my "match" ammo - Federal Auto Match bulk pack. I haven't been able to find any for two months. For today's Bullseye match, I only used 30 rounds of it from my last box for Slow Fire (30 rounds) and used the standard blue-box Federal Value Pack for Timed and Rapid Fire. Not only did it not hurt my score, I shot my best ever Timed and Rapid fire combined score (563 out of a possible 600 points) on my way to an 809 (2 points shy of my personal best). My scores were very consistent, ranging from 92 to 95 (all shot DA with my iron-sighted S&W 17-5), averaging 94.7 at Timed Fire and 93 at Rapid Fire. I also had 5 Xs in one of the Timed Fire Rounds on my way to a personal high of 16 Xs.

Conclusion - for my gun and shooting ability, the bargain ammo (as long as it's Federal, which even in rimfire gives me fewer light strike problems) is just as good as the higher priced stuff. Next I may try the cheap stuff at Slow Fire and see how it works there.

Old February 16, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

For the 25 yard line it seems budget ammo or whatever functions properly in a semi-auto will be sufficient for most shooters. Saving the good stuff for the 50 yard line is almost a must with the prices as they are. Good scores spacecoast particularly with a wheel gun.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old February 16, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
spacecoast

Quote:
Good scores spacecoast particularly with a wheel gun.
Thanks, if my slow fire had been up to par I could have taken a good run at 820. It seems like there's always something to correct, today I was sporadically jerking the trigger in slow fire, pulling my aim off. I figured it out by the third round of SF but lost 6-8 points in the process.

I am happy to uphold the iron-sighted wheelgun tradition at a match where almost everyone else uses a variety of Model 41s, Hammerlis, Pardinis, Marvel 1911 conversions, etc. with red dot sights and fancy custom grips. I was only 9 points off the top score (our best shooter is currently injured and is hampered by a sling on his weak side arm).

Last edited by spacecoast; February 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old February 18, 2013, 05:07 AM   #4
darkgael

Nice

Nice shooting with that revolver and the irons.
Are you going to get a .38 and make your way to a distinguished revolver badge? You are shooting well enough.
Pete
Old February 18, 2013, 09:14 AM   #5
spacecoast

Thanks Pete, I do have a 6" Model 14 (-1) and used it with some success a couple of years ago but have gravitated toward the larger calibers for centerfire. Currently I'm using a 5" 625-3 and am shooting in the 770s with it, but posted my best centerfire score so far (784) last year with my 6" 629-4. I've tried a number of times to best that with my 6" 686-4 but for some reason have struggled with .38 specials vs. .44 specials and .45 ACPs.

I really need to start shooting my 14-1 more again now that my basic skills have improved, plus I need to find some Distinguished Revolver matches in which I can shoot.

From what I read in the Distinguished Program rules, you have to score in the highest 10% of non-Distinguished competitors at a competition held at the NRA Nationals, State Championship or Regional Tournament in order to score 6-10 points toward the 30 points required for the DR badge - does that sound right? Also, you have to shoot 158 gr. RN or SWC ammo. I guess I'll have to switch from 148 grain to 158 grain for future matches.

Last edited by spacecoast; February 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:35 AM   #6
kutz

Revolvers in Bullseye, good Man, keep it up. I use only auto loaders.
Old February 19, 2013, 04:10 PM   #7
ltc444

Some years back I read an article on weighing 22 rim fire ammo. The author found that by weighing his ammo and batching it by weight he could get match grade ammo results with bulk ammo.

I wish I could remember the publication. I think it was in the Rifleman or American Handgunner. Publication was probably around 1975.

Just a thought.

good shooting by the way.
Old February 19, 2013, 04:13 PM   #8
kle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
Conclusion - for my gun and shooting ability, the bargain ammo (as long as it's Federal, which even in rimfire gives me fewer light strike problems) is just as good as the higher priced stuff. Next I may try the cheap stuff at Slow Fire and see how it works there.
Well done.

When I was shooting revolvers in Bullseye, my go-to ammo was the Federal #745/750 Bulk Pack 36gr hollow-point stuff. It shot just fine out of my S&W Model 617-4 and Model 17 no-dash at both the long-line and short-line, and I made Master both Outdoor and Indoor with those guns and that ammo.

It's a little hot for my Hammerli 280, and probably a little warm for my S&W Model 41, but I like it for use in my other .22s since it seems to be the right combination of reliability, consistency, and price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
From what I read in the Distinguished Program rules, you have to score in the highest 10% of non-Distinguished competitors at a competition held at the NRA Nationals, State Championship or Regional Tournament in order to score 6-10 points toward the 30 points required for the DR badge - does that sound right? Also, you have to shoot 158 gr. RN or SWC ammo. I guess I'll have to switch from 148 grain to 158 grain for future matches.
Yes, that is correct, both in terms of bullet weight/shape and in terms of scoring.

Last edited by kle; February 19, 2013 at 04:21 PM.