The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 4, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1
mapwd

Front sight fell off my P226!!! Help!

I sprayed my slide this evening with Break free CLP cleaner lubricant after a range visit and when I was finishing up with the slide I found the front NS (trijicon) was very loose and can be slid right out of the dovetail. This gun is 26 years old and the sights still work, so they are under 12 years old, but this gun was refinished and you can see the green Duracoat remaining under the sight, so the previous owner removed the sight prior to spraying it. Is there a small hex screw in that hole on the top of this site? How can I get this thing tightened back down??

When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826

Old March 4, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Chris_B

Dovetails work on mechanical friction. Hopefully, the dovetail in the slide is not the problem, and the sight is undersized. I would talk to a gunsmith; drifting sights on a SiG is not something I'd do; I'd use a sight pusher or get a pro to do it but I would want to check out the condition of the dovetail in the slide

Incidentally, I have a P226 made in '88 but I have the original stock SiG sights so I can't answer the set-screw question. But those old P226s are great pistols. I hope your repair is easy
Old March 5, 2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Scorch

If it were mine, I would never let whoever installed that sight work on my guns again.

When you install a sight in a dovetail, you fit it to the dovetail by carefully filing the base.

The small Allen head screw is probably a 1.5mm metric socket. If you buy a good quality metric Allen key set there will be one in the set.