The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 7, 2001, 12:23 PM   #1
oktagon

OK, here is the deal: A good friend of mine offers me to trade my SW 645, which I actually like alot for his Colt 1911A1 made in 1942. The gun has BRITISH PROOF MARKS (BMP)on it, but it is blued, as oppose to being parkerized (I suspect it was refinished at some poit). The condition is very nice, with some holster wear, but nothing else. Is there ainy collectors value in this gun, and how rare were BNP marked 1911s? The gun is accurate and reliable. Input is much appreciated.
Old June 9, 2001, 09:54 PM   #2
BADSBSNF81

As it has been refinished, it has lost a lot of collector value and is more in the "shooter" realm. An across the board trade wouldn't be out of the question. Your friend could probably get 500 or so for it.
Old June 9, 2001, 11:51 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I seem to recall that early in the war the British took delivery of several thousand Colt 1911s for use by their speciality troops.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 18, 2001, 09:43 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

oktagon---

You say made in 1942. Have you checked out the serial number? Can you give us the number, even if disguised? (123XXX or the like?) Reason I ask, the USA sent a BUNCH of handguns to Britian at the early part of the war, and a lot of 'em were from regular commercial production. It is possible that the Brit proofed pistol was originally produced in blue finish. Now, if you have other reasons to believe it was refinished, such as badly washed out markings, etc., this probably doesn't apply.

However, if it IS original finish, there would be a lot of collector interest in the piece.

Might it be chambered for .455 Webley auto? Or have originally been so chambered? Many .455 WA 1911s were switched over to .45 ACP merely by substitution of barrels.

Don't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily, but I'd sure hate to see a fine collector's item get away just from lack of knowledge.

Best,
Johnny
Old June 19, 2001, 05:44 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I have a Colt, made in 1943 I'm told, with the Brit marks including the Broad Arrow. It's blued, and shows little if any sign of it being a reblue.

This was worked into a Camp Perry target gun by Dinan for the prior owner, and it's a classic. I put in hardball springs and it's a great carry gun.
Old June 22, 2001, 04:30 PM   #6
oktagon

I will check the SN on the gun and let you know what it is. The year of production is 1942. The guns has "united states property" stamp on it as well as "model 1911a1 us army" , so I do not think that original finish was blue. The stamps on the slide, colt logo and such show some washing out, but not bad, but the british proofmarks are nice and crisp, so at some point I thought that it may have been refinished in UK and then stamped.
I did the trade anyway and gave my SW645 away for this gun.
It is quite reliable and has no problems chambering HP ammo.