The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 20, 2013, 01:13 AM   #1
AL45

Handgun shooting stances

I have long, skinny arms and was wondering if there is a stance that is better suited for this? I guess you could call me a 6 foot tall Barney Fife.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:57 AM   #2
SgtLumpy

The stance that allows you to put bullets where you want them to go.

Seriously.

The idea that "You can't be accurate if you use this or that stance" (or guitar position or bowling approach or how you hold your pencil) suggests that we are all the same size and shape and flexibility and athletic ability.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 20, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
kraigwy

Depends,

Are you target shooting or are you practicing for Self Defense/CC

Target shooting depends on the venue, but it must be comfortable.

SD/CC should be un conventional, meaning different odd, uncomfortable pistons.

When I teach SD classes I make the students shoot from a car, chair, recliner, laying on their backs, behind cover, moving to cover, carrying something, etc etc. Basically as many conditions as one finds him/her self in their every day life.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 20, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Gaerek

Honestly?

Of all the skills one needs to hit a target with a handgun, stance is probably the least important, especially in a defensive or combat situation. I practice a variety of stances because the different stances provide different benefits and drawbacks in different situations. I'm a fan of isosceles, personally, but I'll shoot weaver on occasion.

Sight picture and trigger control are far more important than stance. If you have a good sight picture, and you can pull the trigger without moving the gun, the bullet will go where you want it to, regardless of whether you're shooting weaver, isosceles, or one handed hanging upside down from a tree.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Noreaster

Everything changes depending on the current training or fad; grip - stance - sling shot vs over the top vs slide release... What we have been doing is using a good solid stance, like a fighter's stance, that you can use to shoot a handgun, rifle, shotgun or use defensive tactics. Basically more isosceles then weaver. Much of this came out of active shooter training where you have to move in formation through a school with either firearm. We have gotten away from bladed or weaver. Basically square yourself to the target, drop your strong side foot back a half a step and bring the firearm up to your line of sight. Try doing this with your eyes closed and see if your natural point of aim remains constant, if not adjust your stance. Also adjust your stance if you have arm fatigue. Guys that were sticking with the weaver stance had allot of trouble moving in formation with the gun up, it's just not natural. It's nice having one stance for all types of shooting that allows you to lean out from cover, move in any direction and go hands on if necessary.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:00 AM   #6
serf 'rett

I'm going to assume you are training for self defense.

Shoot some Bullseye to develop things such as grip, trigger control, sight alignment.

Then shoot some IDPA to experiment with various stances.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:02 AM   #7
MercyfulFate

I switch at random honestly. I go from Weaver to Isoceles when I feel like it.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old February 20, 2013, 11:29 AM   #8
dayman

I find - for me - Chapman stance works best.
I like Isosceles, but I'm cross dominant, and experimentation has shown me that Chapman lines my sights up with my left eye more reliably without feeling like I'm holding my head funny.

I'd try a few different stances and shoot groups in each. Whichever one gives you the best groups in the least time is probably the winner.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:26 PM   #9
RickB

Some forms of competition require a certain grip and stance, so if you are intent on bullseye competition, look at the rules.
"Practical" application of the handgun, whether for self-defense or competition, require multiple grips and stances. At a single IDPA or USPSA match, or at a shooting school class, you might shoot freestyle, strong-hand only, weak-hand only, kneeling, prone, etc., so you really need to be able to do all.
As for the grip, the consensus is that you want the gun nestled as deeply into your hand or hands as possible, to help counter recoil.
Current thinking is that when holding the gun with two hands, you can get a better overall grip by making more room available for the weak hand by keeping the strong-hand thumb high on the frame.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:28 PM   #10
AL45

Thanks for your input. I am simply target shooting and may someday decide to hunt. My stance has always resembled a Weaver, but tried dry firing in an Isosceles and it felt good. Sounds like the bottom line is to find something that works and stick with it, even if it's just a variation of some particular stance.