The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 25, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1
larzb93

can't see the crosshairs!

i posted on this section because i need help from someone who knows what there talking about. sometimes when i look through my scope i cant see my cross hairs completely as if they are out of focus. it seems like i am doing something wrong with my eye. this happens to me with multiple scopes. what am i doing wrong. tried playing with the focus and the eye relief. HELP!
Old January 25, 2012, 09:24 AM   #2
kraigwy

There should be a lock ring on the back of the scope. Loosen it and twist the rear eye piece in or out to get the cross hair in focus.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 25, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Pahoo

A common resolve for a common problem.

Pretty much what kraigwy has replied and would add that once you loosen the locking ring, Take a good initial look and then look away. Turn your rear bell 5-turns CW and take a look to see if it has improved. Go either CW or CCW in smaller turns, till you start seeing the desired results. There will be times when the verticle will be in focus and the horizontal will not. Just keep turning. Looking away between adjustments keeps the eye from trying to focus prematurely as there is a natural instinct to try a focus. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 25, 2012, 10:44 AM   #4
larzb93

thank you! i am hoping this will end my frustrating problem off having hazed cross hairs!
Old January 25, 2012, 04:30 PM   #5
brickeyee

You have to adjust the focus to your eyes and eye relief when you shoulder the gun.

It can take a couple tries, since once you get close to the correct focus your eyes can quickly adapt and make the hairs look sharp.

You need to look through the scope quickly and notice the hairs as fast as you can.

If they are not instantly sharp, more adjustment is probably needed.
Old January 25, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Pahoo

Close is not Good-Enough.

You don't have to have a scope mounted on your rifle, in order to set the focus on the reticles but you should have the scope mounted on the rifle, in order to set the eye relief properly. Both have an optimum setting and that is what you want to strive for. Close should not be Good-Enough. ....

Keep in mind that your focus setting is good only to you and not the other guy. Once loaned a rifle to a buddy and expressly requested that he not change any setting. When I got it back, guess what?? ... YEP !!!

Oh yes, you can wear your normal glasses and don't forget to lock your locking ring.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 26, 2012, 12:10 PM   #7
larzb93

are you saying that my scope is mounted correctly?
Old January 26, 2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
are you saying that my scope is mounted correctly?
larz
If you are addressing this question to me, I have not idea how your scope is mounted. I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it is. You can now set the focus on the reticles. By the way, get back to us one how you made out. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 27, 2012, 08:34 AM   #9
larzb93

i went to the range. i dont think my phone has this O-ring ever one speaks of. i have a millet LRS scope. it seems when i am about to shoot ( as i am pulling the trigger) the crosshairs come back into focus, almost like i am doing something wrong with my eyes
Old January 27, 2012, 09:04 AM   #10
confirmed shooter

just asking, when was the last time you had your eye's checked? only asking because mine have gone down range!
Old January 27, 2012, 09:29 AM   #11
larzb93

a while ago. a far as i know my eyes are good, i scwint my eyes alot but other than that i have good eyes as far as i know
Old January 27, 2012, 11:42 AM   #12
tim s

I'd suspect the single biggest issue I see with scope adjustment is improperly adjusting reticle focus BEFORE you do anything else relative to parallax [if there's an adjustment].

You must do this while looking at a neutral background, like the sky. You must also look through the scope only breifly while ckecking reticle, if you look for several seconds your eye will compensate now and then give you eye strain when shooting for a while. you need to get close on the ring and when close look through the scope and made small adjustments until you can look away for a few seconds and look back and see if the reticle is IMMEDIATLY in focus. go back and forth a few times until you get there. The higher the power the smaller the final adjustents should be but remember when set you want the reticle instantly sharp. once that is set any parallax adjustment then follows.

Remember, if your over 50 this is likely going to need readjustment probably every 12-18 months since everybodies eyes change.
Old January 27, 2012, 11:54 AM   #13
larzb93

i will try it this Saturday!
Old January 28, 2012, 07:43 AM   #14
PawPaw

Interestingly, last summer, my eldest adult son and I were shooting and he complained of the same scenario. He couldn't see the crosshairs on his standard duplex reticle. We tried adjusting the ocular lens, to no avail. Screwed it in and out and he complained that when he looked through it at the blue sky, he could see the center crosshair of the duplex reticle, but when he looked through it at the target, the center crosshair simply "washed-out".

I focused the scope to my eyes. No problem. I can see through it just fine. So, we started digging around in my boxes and found a scope he could use. Mounted it on the rifle and adjusted the focus to his eye, he can see and shoots it just fine.

It was something about that scope and his eye, and he couldn't use it. That scope is now mounted on another rifle, giving fine service. Go figure.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 30, 2012, 08:28 AM   #15
larzb93

i hope that is not the case! my scope cost me about 500
Old February 7, 2012, 11:03 AM   #16
larzb93

tim s pretty much fixed my issue. thank you to everyone for the help!
Old February 9, 2012, 02:36 PM   #17
tim s

Good to hear, once you got those basics down it's lots easier to use your optic without the eye strain, good shooting.
Old February 9, 2012, 02:57 PM   #18
Trip286

Glad I came across this thread, picking up my first scoped rifle this evening hopefully, need all the info I can find.

I've shot with scopes before, many times, but I've never had this problem. It's good info for the guys like me.

Thanks all.
Old March 9, 2012, 01:59 PM   #19
larzb93

just got a pair of glasses... had bad eyes!
Old March 9, 2012, 02:09 PM   #20
tim s

Now don't forget to redo the entire process so it's set for you're current vision.
Old March 9, 2012, 07:06 PM   #21
g.willikers

Also make sure your cheek to stock position is consistent.
If your eye isn't in the same place every time the gun is mounted, the crosshair can drive you nuts.

Tags
cross hairs