The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1
OcSpeed

Kel Tec pf-9

Went to the gun store today to get another Glock 19 as a project gun and they were out, so as my CHP should be arriving anytime I figured I might as well pick this up and see what I think.

After some plinking on the range I think overall it's a great gun and can you beat the price, $245 at the shop closest to me (60 miles). And yes I live in the boonies.

No failures in the 80 rounds I put down range, ranging from wwb, remington, and 115g remington hollowpoints. It's plenty accurate, I was shooting cans easily at 7-10 yards, it shoots a hair low.

A couple of dislikes,
Assembly Pin, the fact that it needs an empty cartridge or the like to pop it out
An extra magazine would be nice too. For goodness sakes charge a little more for the gun and throw in an extra mag, it's for self defense not really a fun range gun.
Lastly, it's not as small as some people on the interwebs make it out to be, it could be a pocket gun, but just barely. And forget trying to stick in your back pocket on normal jeans, not happening.

Coming from Glocks and 1911's I thought I would hate the trigger, and let me just say it is LOOONNNNGGGG, but it's smoother/lighter than a JM625 by miles.

I'm satisfied, hope this review helps someone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pf-9 (1 of 1).jpg (78.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg pf-9 broken down (1 of 1).jpg (58.9 KB, 98 views)
Old September 17, 2011, 07:52 PM   #2
t45

I have one and it is my CCW without hesitations.
Old September 17, 2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

I have one, as well.

If you find it a relatively unpleasant gun to shoot -- and I do -- check out the KTADDONS grip material -- a nice recoil-absorbent material applied UNDER a wrap-around grip. It made mine noticeably more pleasant to shoot, without changing functionality. (I had previously used the same stuff on a P3AT and later on an LCP. Worked well there, which led me to getting their version for the PF-9.
Old September 17, 2011, 10:35 PM   #4
TennJed

Got one and love it. Picked up a k3at this week also love it also. To me kel tec makes a great product no frills priced right and well made.

I plan on picking up a p11 soon also. If I am as happy as I am with the others that will give me 3 quality guns for the price of one high end gun

Throw in a lifetime warranty from a couple with a good customer service rep and I am a happy camper
Old September 18, 2011, 12:09 AM   #5
michael t

I am packing mine at present it has become my #1 carry I bought a 2nd mag and found with out the finger rest my groups open up about 1/2 again from what they were.
I don't find the recoil all that bad. I have fired a 100 rounds at sitting . I do have trouble with putting pin back in after cleaning I have a bad hand and can't do properly I need my my daughter help me She is 17 and fires it also.

Only real problems I hear Is people trying to use the 147 gr bullets I stay in the lower weight where a 9mm was designed to be. Corbon DPX or the Golden Saber. I tried Corbon Power ball Now their snappy
I pocket carry in my jeans or in a slide type holster on my belt.

The only bitch people I know have with the P-11 is the long heavy trigger pull.
The PF-9 is like the P3AT nice and easy.
Old September 18, 2011, 08:00 AM   #6
CDW4ME

Good review.
I've got a PF9 too. Yes, it's snappy, but it is a 13 oz 9mm.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:13 AM   #7
khegglie

PF9 has tured into my EDC. I have a P11 which is good but it's amazing how the small change in width affects CC. Slip on grips really help with recoil.
Old September 18, 2011, 10:53 PM   #8
bacardisteve

I love both mine. As others stated a slip on grip really helps. Mine is primarily used as a BUG but when its hot out its is sometimes my primary ccw. They are very reliable guns... The one i have has fired over 100 federal 9bple +p+ and is still going strong.
Old September 19, 2011, 07:06 AM   #9
LH2

Too large for pocket carry, IMO, but more comfortable to shoot than a .38 Airweight (or Air Lite) snubby, with better sights and capacity.

My PF-9 was not reliable, stove piping and dropping mags while firing. But they're inexpensive enough that I may try another one.
Old September 19, 2011, 07:27 AM   #10
OcSpeed

LH2 I think you should send it back, they should make it work right.
Old September 21, 2011, 04:29 AM   #11
Justice06RR

I have one as well, picked it up a couple of weeks ago as a backup gun. Unfortunately I've had some issues within the first 50rds (currently still breaking it in). Mostly FTF's which are mag related.

I really like the PF9 and would like to carry it, but not until i get it running smoothly.
Old September 21, 2011, 05:53 AM   #12
mes228

PF-9

I've owned two PF-9's and they have been great. So I traded for a PF-11 assuming it would be also. The PF-11 did run well. However, the trigger was MUCH worse, the recoil as bad or worse. Overall the PF-11 was a step down except for capacity. Hard to believe as good as the PF-9 is, the PF-11 is so much worse. Just an opinion based on owning one...... briefly.
Old September 24, 2011, 05:48 PM   #13
SheepNutz

I just use my thumbnail to pry out the takedown pin, no cartridge casing needed!
Old September 24, 2011, 10:05 PM   #14
Toney

Mine had the mag drop problem when i first got it but i trust it now. I carry it almost every day.
Old September 25, 2011, 04:07 PM   #15
tex45acp

My PF9 has been extremely reliable with 115gr and 124gr ammo. I have been able to shootonly one 147gr round that does not jam upon loading. Not a problem since 115gr is my plinking round and the 124gr is my PD round. I have carried it in a Galco pocket holster for almost 5 years now in everything I wear. Concealing it is no problem. I also have a custom IWB holster that I wear when my dress allows. If my records are correct I am at the 3500 round mark and the trigger just keeps getting smoother. What is really great about the gun is it shoots to point of aim and I have not experienced any of the mag dropping problems spoken of on many forums. My sons both carry one usually as a BUG. Mine is my BUG whenever my primary carry is something else. Here is my pocket carry setup.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:11 PM   #16
wingspar

I have about 330 rounds thru my PF9 that I’ve had a little over a month. The thing is a kick in the pants to shoot. Got JS Holster for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH2
My PF-9 was not reliable, stove piping and dropping mags while firing. But they're inexpensive enough that I may try another one.
That’s a well known issue with the mag release spring, and Kel-Tec will send you the correct spring free.

Tags
9mm , conceal , mouse gun , pocket