The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 4, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1
roy reali

Sad, Sad Situation

I was driving to work this morning when I spotted a deer laying on the side of the road. She was over on the far shoulder. At first I thought she was a road casualty. In that area it is quite common. Then with a second glance I though I saw her move.

I turned my vehicle around and pulled up to the deer. Sure enough, she was alive. The poor thing tried to stand up, but it was obvious her hind quarters were not working anymore. It was early morning and I was on my way to work, so no gun on me. Besides, I don't know the local legalitities of shooting an injured animal on the highway.

I did call the Sheriff's dispatch. In ten minutes a deputy arrived. He saw the deer and told me he would dispatch it. I asked him about the carcass, what would happen to it. He said the road department would pick it up and he wasn't sure of its final destination. Asking friends at work didn't answer that question either. No one seems to know what ousr officials do in this situation. I hope they at least gave the meat to some hungrfamily.

Anyway, back to the gun question. If I did have a firearm and had decided to put that deer out of her misery, how should I have done it? In other words, a shot between the eyes or in back of the ear? We have some remote areas here, cell phones don't even work. How would you dispatch a large, injured animal?

On Monday, I am also going to try find out about the legalities of such an act. I don't want to shoot an injured deer and be fined for poaching. I am also going to find out what happened to her remains. I will be upset if she was thrown into a land fill.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:14 AM   #2
sc928porsche

Many years ago a lot of the departments would have the meat sent to the prisons to feed prisoners. I doubt that they do that anymore or for that matter give it to hungry families because of the legal liability. I well imagine that it is now taken to a rendering plant.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:27 AM   #3
zachkuby87

I've had this happen to me before when I was in the middle of nowhere I didn't have any form of firearm with me we tried to get the deer up but he was clearly done for he scampered about 10-15 feet and his rear legs were done so my dad cut his throat and we got into cell phone range then contacted the dnr. They sent an officer out we asked if we could take the deer he gave us some paperwork to fill out and let us clean the deer and taake him home we run through venni meat like crazy at my house. The dnr officer actully took our number down and every once in a great while he would call when he found a fresh kill and offer us the deer as it was easier for him to let u handle disposing of it. We since have moved and no longer have that number so no more free meat for us. But as far as finishing the deer off my grandfather taught me to shoot them once in the back of the head or if it was already on its way out just cut its throat and save the ammo.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:41 AM   #4
jimbob86

I don't know about the legalities (local issue, and I ain't there), but anyting larger than a .22 short to the base of the skull is all you need to do. If you use a high-powered rifle, expect to get bloody. .38 @ 800 f/sec works just fine.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:42 AM   #5
phil mcwilliam

Wheel brace to back of head if you have no rifle. If you have a rifle, take a brain shot - between the eyes if its looking at you, back of head if looking away.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:25 AM   #6
mdd

Deer are similar to cattle in anatomic location of the brain. I've had to shoot more injured cattle than I care to think about but what I can tell you is very simple. Shooting between the eyes on cattle blows up their sinus cavities and is excruciatingly painful and far from immediately lethal. Draw an imaginary line from the right ear to left eye and vice versa. Aim half an inch above where that line crosses.
Old December 4, 2010, 03:00 AM   #7
woodguru

Center of the head straight on or go in at an angle through the ear into the brain. I know the feeling of feeling the pressure of wanting to do it right.
Old December 4, 2010, 07:02 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Besides, I don't know the local legalitities of shooting an injured animal on the highway.
Just a couple of thoughts; I'd guess shooting from a roadway (even on the shoulder) is illegal regardless of where you live. I'd also think that even if deer were in firearm season and you had a license it would still be highly frowned on by the police and / or game wardens. I think if caught in that act you'd be lucky not to be charged with poaching and or discharging a firearm from or near a roadway.

I'd guess that most road kill ends up in a compost pile some place or in a landfill. Donating it isn't likely due to safe food handling concerns since it was procured along a roadway.

Thanks for calling the police by the way. I hate to see any wounded animal suffer and would certainly want to make sure that the coup de grace was given to the animal.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; December 4, 2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old December 4, 2010, 07:02 AM   #9
James H

I agree with the shots posted.

I also think it might be a liability for the police/sheriff's dept. to donate it. I keep running into people wherever I go that are afraid of CWD. I'm sure the cops wouldn't want that on their hands on top of every other lawsuit they're normally protecting themselves from.
Old December 4, 2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Snowmanx7

My ex-FIL had a similar situation recently. He called the SO and they sent out a deputy to put the deer down. My FIL asked about taking it for the meat and all he had to do was fill out a few short forms, not sure what exactly they were, and the deer was his. I hate to see wounded animals suffer or good meat go to waste.

-J-
Old December 4, 2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Pahoo

Sadly, in our state, you are not allowed to dispatch it. However, on one occasion, I was given permission to do so, over the phone. I did have a shotgun with me at the time as we were coming home from Pheasant hunting. This question has also been brought up at some of our Hunter Safety classes and the DNR officer gives the same answer; ..... NO !

Again, in our state, the Sherrif's depatment will give you a "Chit", on the spot, that allows you to take the deer with you. Or, it can be taken to a local food pantry. ....

The best advice is to first make the phone call, as you did and let them take the lead on what should or could be done. I know you are just trying to do what is right and merciful but you have to stay within the law.

Might also add that a deer that is hit by a auto or truck, will be full of clots that it may only be suitable for processed sausage.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 4, 2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

In NY, you can take the deer with you but you'd need a DEC or LE officer to dispatch it for you, unless you got permission over the phone. I have heard of that happening. Technically, you need a carcass tag. I believe that most of our local departments have a few on hand, otherwise you have to wait for DEC to show up. Personally, I'd take the animal to a local venison donation drop off point.

Of course, in some areas around here (Ithaca), the LEO has to almost literally peel the animal rights wackos off the animal. One officer told me a story about a deer that an animal rights nutjob had hit and when he arrived she was sitting in the ditch, covered in mud, with the deers head in her lap, stroking it's neck, crying profusely. The poor things spine was literally sticking out of it's skin and she begged, I mean BEGGED, him to "take her to Cornell (vet college) because they can fix her". He finally had to threaten her with a arrest to get her to let go of the thing.
Old December 4, 2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Xfire68

A good friend of mine is lucky enough to get the call from a local municipality when there is a deer hit on it's roads. He gets to pick it up if the meat is salvageable. Not a bad way to get free deer meat!
Old December 4, 2010, 12:49 PM   #14
Gbro

Quote:
I well imagine that it is now taken to a rendering plant
Yes in the long past that is where almost any carcass picked off the roadway would end up but not anymore. About the only thing some rendering plants process now is used cooking oils.
I got that information from a hunting shack neighbor that manages one in central MN. The USDA restricted what could be rendered before most of us ever heard about CWD.
Back in the '80's, one would have to know a Conservation office very well to be on his list of road kill recipients and being on the fire department helped us get quite a few for our social events. I can still smell the buck burgers on the grill and the roaster ovens full of sausage.
Today the DNR is almost never called. A local LEO will dispatch an animal, most animals will stay on the roadside until someone like me drags it off or the state maintenance department gets around to it.
Yes anyone can make a call and be allowed to take a car kill and a permit will be mailed.
Funny story;
A co-worker was driving home during opening weekend (11/6/10) around midnight and steered wide of a car pulled close to the shoulder with a man outside the car talking on the phone. Thump, thump, He didn't see the deer that the other guy had hit that was still in the roadway as his focus was on the human. He turned around at the 1st good spot and when he approached the P-O'ed motorist he got an ear full about the SOB that just ran over his deer that he had just received the go-ahead to take. My co-worked then wished the irate dude well and left the scene.
His car didn't fair to well either but it wasn't worth engaging in any conversation with the other.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:02 PM   #15
egor20

I have this occur around 3 or 4 times a year where I live, I just call the county sheriff's and they just tell me to dispatch it and they will send out a sheriff with the paperwork. I then take it to my local butcher who gives me 50% off because I donate the meat to my local church/shelter

Btw I shoot them an inch to the NW of the ear, usually use a .38 or my carry .45....... just make sure your not wearing a suit you like :barf:, made that mistake once

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 5, 2010, 11:56 AM   #16
the blur

free coyote lunch.
or use it as coyote bait.
Old December 5, 2010, 12:13 PM   #17
deathrider

a guy I knew hit a deer with his truck, well he damaged his truck, but he took it upon himself to throw the carcase on the back to give to a friend, well someone saw the incident, called police & gave his vehicle description & license number to police. he was charged with taking a deer out of season, hit & run, no hunting license. alot of stupid charges. he went to court & lost. he didnt even have the deer in his possesion when he was pulled over, but he had blood, & fur in back of the truck.

I saw this on one of out interstates a few years ago. some woman blew by me doing 90+mph, well a deer jumped out of nowhere & she hit it head on sliding to a hault, no sooner than she stops some rednecks that were last vehicle she passed stop directly in front & load the deer & leave, never stopping to offer assistance. & it was quite a few people rode by before anyone stopped. I was way in the distance doing 65mph, but saw it & shook my head. she was involved in an accident, but no deer, & probably no one got tag number of the truck that grabbed the deer.

Randy
Old December 5, 2010, 07:19 PM   #18
elkman06

Quote:
between the eyes
Ummm,, no. bad choice. Between the ears or at the point where the spinal cord meets the skull. Cows die if you shoot them in the whorl..in their hair, above their eyes.

This is one of those things where doing the right thing can get a little weird. I have dispatched sheep and deer that were previously hit. I also have called the G&F when I didn't have a weapon or tool. They usually don't care. Passersby will and can be your problem. Just be quick, and get it done.

Some states probably have active giveaway programs. Our state is so large that most animals would be spoiled by the time somebody got there.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old December 5, 2010, 08:34 PM   #19
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Not knowing what state or county you reside, but I wouldn't use a firearm generally speaking. If you're able to control the deer since it's lame, I would rid of the deer via knife to a vein/artery. It would definitely bleed out quicker than the average response time you received and be in pain for a shorter period of time. The other reason why I say this is if you're not experienced enough to make a sure shot, a good chance the deer is going into much greater pain if you don't do it right.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 6, 2010, 10:08 AM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

During drouth years in Texas--and we have a fair number of those--it is common for deer to feed alongside roads at night, since what little rainfall there is runs off and makes for better growies along the right of way.

On one trip from Terlingua to Austin, 500 miles, I counted over 120 dead deer along the way. Mostly between Fort Stockton on I-10 and on to US 290 to just outside Austin. On other trips, thirty to fifty dead deer was a not-uncommon count. And, sure, some trips, very few. Several trips per year, some twenty-seven years, now.

I don't know if "calloused" is the right word, but I definitely don't get excited about it...

I remember a magazine article from years ago with a comment from the Pennsylvania wildlife folks: The hunter kill, one season, was around 60,000 deer. The vehicle kill during the year was about the same.
Old December 6, 2010, 07:07 PM   #21
golfballshootr

Would have to go with the vein/artery cutting if a knife were available. Otherwise, a good tire tool, wrench or something solid to the head.

And after reading Art's post, I am sure he will know where I am referring to. 7 years ago we were doing some work between Sheffield and Dryden, TX. During one time, we counted 57 deer within about 40 miles. There are some that are hit, and there are some that are hung up in the fence. We cannot carry any type of firearm with work, even if we could, discharging a firearm from a roadway, here in OK is a no-no, and if I understand right, same in TX.
Old December 6, 2010, 07:25 PM   #22
sourdough44

I think in most states it's not legal to put the animal out. Let the cops do that. If one hits a deer usually the one that hits it has 1st dibs. It may not always seem right but it's the 'system'.If you live out in the sticks, you can do what's right.
Old December 6, 2010, 07:38 PM   #23
k31

i have shot two in those same circumstances my ccw so far is a blessing in away
i ilived in braxton county wv very remote in most areas
i hate to see carcasses left in the road you hit it you move it so no one else hits it and as far as hooting it goes mine were both on i 79 i drug them out of the concrete ditch so i couldnt ricochet as easy and put two in the head it doesnt matter where as long as it isnt a 380 or the mouth or face make sure you brain it
a 380 can glance it doent penetrate rouned bone well it is a fat round slug
a 22 will penitrate because it is smaller
use the same force first try to stab your hand with the eraser side then with the same force the pointed side of a pencil a 22 will bust a deers head
ruger 10/22 = West Virginian long bow
Old December 6, 2010, 07:42 PM   #24
TheGoldenState

This is bad, and im not trying to make light of said situation (the answer to it has been posted several times over), but reading thru this thread reminds me of the cow in the road scene from "Me Myself and Irene" with Jim Carey.
Old December 6, 2010, 07:49 PM   #25
rr2241tx

In Texas, it is illegal to discharge a weapon in the right of way and illegal to pick up a dead deer in the right of way unless you legally shot it and it ran into the right of way and died there. I hit a pretty nice young buck on a busy highway a few years ago that very nearly totaled my little sports car and by coincidence the deer ended up very near the trunk of my car when I got stopped. I was out trying to find something in my trunk that would hold the hood down when the highway patrol showed up and started in reading me the riot act about not touching the dead deer. I think he really needed his priorities rearranged.