The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you carry handgun with a round in chamber i.e. live round?
Yes 146 94.19%
No 9 5.81%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 12, 2008, 10:49 PM   #101
Hellbent11

One in the pipe at all times! Safety rules and finger off the trigger. I do always take the precaution of emptying the chamber when I get home and store it though.

Hellbent
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Old November 12, 2008, 11:02 PM   #102
jhenry

This question pops up here and there upon occassion. Kind of silly really though. Of course I carry a live round in the chamber. Good Lord, it's a real gun for the purpose of real defense of my life and person as well as those around me. If a guy just can't stomach the idea of a live round in the chamber of their very real handgun they need to either go on home and put it away, get some training, or switch to a revolver. Revolvers are just fine anyway.
Old November 13, 2008, 06:15 AM   #103
Regular Joe

Ruger P95. I'd be stupid to omit the round in the chamber, and the gun is designed to be perfectly safe that way. It doesn't fire unless the trigger is fully stroked. Otherwise, the hammer cannot reach the firing pin.
OTOH, I keep my 870 Express with nothing chambered, but then with a pump gun, we hope that the cycling action is enough to inform BG that the party is over, and the lights will soon go out.
Old November 13, 2008, 11:48 AM   #104
cnutco

YES

G39
Kimber SIS ULTRA
Kahr MK40
Old November 13, 2008, 11:57 AM   #105
David Armstrong

Quote:
Yes, it is simple, show me how it "worked well" in the past - show me that there were no problems?
Sorry, but you are asking me to prove a negative. The burden is on those who claim that it is a problem to provide evidence of that. I point out that throughout most of the 20th Century semi-autois were caried chamber empty. Nobody seems to have reprted or even discussed any of thes problems folks keep offering. If your proof is "what if", I just don't think that is much of a proof.
Quote:
You have stated you are for a chambered round - why the frustration?
No frustration about that. I do get a little frustrated at folks who try to substitute opinon for fact, or those who refuse to recognize historical trends and concepts, and so on.
Quote:
Maybe explain your point more effectively so we all can understand your point, because you obviously have not convinced anyone?
I'm not trying to convince anyone. I have tried to address certain questions that were asked, which is something I will point out that many others have failed to do. My point is simple...All conditions of carry have advantages and disadvantages. Each person whould determine which advantgages and disadvantages are applicable to their particular situation and then make an informed choice about what is best for them.
Old November 13, 2008, 12:05 PM   #106
David Armstrong

Quote:
david... SN's class IS FOR CIVILIANS. Gezz man, what planet are you on? His class isn't LEO tactics.
Geez, deaf, is it possible for you to try to keep up with your own posts? Here, let me remind why the LEO issue came up: "And there are cases where in a struggle cops have drawn their guns and shot their attackers. They even teach many drills to take a gun back if a BG tries to disarm the defender." That's YOU, deaf. I don't know about you, but the planet I am on peole tend to remember what they wrote for longer than a day.
Quote:
You need to get out more and understand chanber empty carry has lots of faults for civilians as well as LEO.
Deaf, there is an interesting concept known as the "phsychological assassin" mindset, where someone with low self esteem continually snipes at those they know are better or smarter than they are, hoping that by tripping them up it makes them look better. You might want to look into it.
As for me getting out, the problem is that you really need to keep up with what is being said. If you will actually read the posts instead of making things up you should notice that I have said repeatedly that chamber empty carry has advantages AND disadvantages.

Last edited by David Armstrong; November 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old November 13, 2008, 12:15 PM   #107
David Armstrong

Quote:
....if your gun or yourself is too unsafe to carry the gun with loaded chamber get a new gun and more training.
Would you like to buy a new gun for some of these single parents I teach? Or will you provide the funds for an elderly widow to go to DTI or some such? It's nice to talk about "buy this and do that" but the reality of life is that lots of folks won't or can't do stuff like that. Do we ignore them or do we try to help them as much as we can within their limits?
Old November 13, 2008, 12:20 PM   #108
David Armstrong

Quote:
If a guy just can't stomach the idea of a live round in the chamber of their very real handgun they need to either go on home and put it away, get some training, or switch to a revolver.
Often it is not the issue of can't stomach it, it becomes an issue of "this fits my situation better". Seems like any time this issue pops up lots of elitism comes crawling out of the shadows---"either carry a gun that I approve of, and carry it the way I think it should be carried, or don't carry at all. Let's ignore the fact that the way you want to carry it has worked well for decades, I know what is best for you."
Old November 13, 2008, 12:20 PM   #109
OuTcAsT

Quote:
Each person whould determine which advantgages and disadvantages are applicable to their particular situation and then make an informed choice about what is best for them.
I read this sentence, and try to understand why you continue bloviating and outright chastizing some for their choices in the way they carry, as you attempted to do to me in an earlier post.

Could it be that you have realized suddenly that your "circular logic' is flawed, and now see that everyone's preference is indeed best for his/her individual taste ?

Doubtful, you should really look into a program on Windows called "Sound Recorder". It will allow you to hear yourself anytime you wish, and save you the trouble of putting your "oration" into print.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old November 13, 2008, 12:29 PM   #110
Deaf Smith

david,

Cops have the same problems with having to chamber a round that any civilian has. They have two arms and two legs like anyone else.

A grappling attack is a grappling attack is a grappling attack. If a cop can't get to his gun and do a chamber rack, then why would a civilian be able to it grabbed. And like I posted, pleny of YouTube video to back the fact grabs happen, just as the Armed Citizen shows to or any newspaper where they list muggings.

What you fail to post, or mention, is that chamber empty has so many more faults than chamber loaded, that it's a poor tactic. Might as well put a trigger lock on the gun while one is at it.

All you do, is like you always do, is say I do this but... and nit pick. Chamber empty is a poor tactic, and that's a simple fact.
Old November 13, 2008, 12:34 PM   #111
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

For the life of me, I'll never understand why some of you can't target the issues instead of each other. This is getting way to personal; regardless of how articulate an insult may be, an insult is still an insult.

And so, another one gets closed due to a lack of civility .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread