The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 15, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
chipchip

257 Roberts Ammo

Where is all the 257 Roberts ammo
Old September 16, 2013, 03:17 AM   #2
NWPilgrim

Probably being sidelined while manufacturers focuses on the most popular cartridges. The .257 Roberts sounds like a wonderful cartridge but it is probably being overwhelmed by the demand for the more frequently purchased ammo. Hornady quit making a bunch of their bullets so they could focus on the more popular ones. They have a two year backlog in bullets alone. Most ammo manufacturers are backlogged with existing orders for at least one year.

Also, the Roberts is probably much more of a hunting season round so maybe it will start to show up shortly, whereas rounds like the .308 are in high demand year round.

I've been thinking of a rifle in a sub-.30 cal chambering and the Roberts is one of the candidates. Seems like a nice cartridge that has plenty to get the job done and mild enough for everyone in the family.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 16, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Sierra280

I've seen a few boxes on the shelves around here. I've also been thinking about getting one, but I'm torn between the 257 Roberts and the 25-06AI.
Old September 16, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
pilothunter

I checked a couple of on-line sites and there is plenty out there, even some at very good prices. I no longer, however, list site info online as that normally means they are sold out within a couple of hours later. If you'd like the info & links, simply PM me and I will supply it.

My custom M98 in .257 R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-016F.JPG (127.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by pilothunter; September 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old September 16, 2013, 03:33 PM   #5
dgludwig

Not on the shelves at Wal Mart for sure. But I've had no problem locating Roberts ammunition at my two local gun stores nor at any of the big retailers like Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain.
Old September 16, 2013, 05:10 PM   #6
obewan

257 roberts

ditto response by "dgludwig"...quite a bit out there although noticed midway was out of a number of types...cabelas in michigan has a bunch.....just picked up a new kimber 84 in 257 rob...SWEET..........
Old September 16, 2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Gunplummer

Kind of a dead round for years, and now making a comeback. .257 ammunition was not on the shelf in a lot of places for many years because it lost it's popularity.