The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 6, 2010, 06:44 PM   #1
dbuffington

Early High-Power?

Hi Folks!

I have an early Browning High-Power with serial number 41816.

I know this places it somewhere around the World War II era, but that's about all I know. I does not have Nazi proof marks. It does have an internal extractor. It does have a stock slot, but the original rear sight has been replaced with a slightly more modern target sight. The front sight appears to be original.

Any ideas when this was made? And for what market or customer?

Thanks!
Dave
Old December 8, 2010, 09:16 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

About all I can tell you is what you already know, that it is pre-WWII, probably made in 1939 or 1940. (The German invasion of Belgium was in May, 1940; one source says the Germans started serial numbering the HPs at 50,001, so there was probably some gap to prevent overlap.) Barring any military markings, you can probably assume that it was a civilian pistol.

The whole BHP serial number story is confusing. If a government ordered, say, 5000 pistols, and wanted their own series, FN was happy to sell them numbers 1-5001, never mind that some or all of that range had been used before, perhaps more than once.

The sight replacement, if it can't be reversed, ruins the collector value of the gun.

Jim
Old December 9, 2010, 09:54 AM   #3
dbuffington

Quote:
About all I can tell you is what you already know, that it is pre-WWII, probably made in 1939 or 1940. (The German invasion of Belgium was in May, 1940; one source says the Germans started serial numbering the HPs at 50,001, so there was probably some gap to prevent overlap.) Barring any military markings, you can probably assume that it was a civilian pistol.
Actually, I didn't know that. So that's progress

Quote:
The sight replacement, if it can't be reversed, ruins the collector value of the gun.
I bought it cheaply enough that it doesn't matter. But your suspicion is correct... It can't be easily reversed. In fact it had some odd gunsmithing done on it to make it -- intentionally or unintentionally, I don't know -- full auto.

My gunsmith fixed that, but it definitely had some trigger work to improve, somewhat, the traditional BHP grittiness.

Many thanks!
Dave
Old December 9, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

The "sight replacement" needs to be verified, there was a pre-WWII series of Hi-Power that came with adjustable sights. Pictures would help.
Old December 9, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
dbuffington

I'll try to take some shots this evening. Thanks!
Old December 9, 2010, 11:12 AM   #6
mapsjanhere

Found a picture on Wikipedia of the adjustable sight model with stock.
Old December 9, 2010, 05:13 PM   #7
dbuffington

Here are a few quickie photos...

As you can see in the last shot, the original sight mounting area has been partially filled. Why? I don't know, but they did a pretty nice job.
Old December 9, 2010, 05:32 PM   #8
mapsjanhere

That looks like the target rear sight from the 70-80 FN Hi Power replacing the original tangent sight. Time to go parts hunting I guess.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:37 PM   #9
dbuffington

As someone said, this is no longer a collector piece. But it's still quite pleasant to carry and shoot. So I'll likely leave it as is. Thanks!