The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 28, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1
accordingtome

Replacement barrel for HOWA 1500??

Greetings all,
I have a Howa 1500 in 308. I sorta destroyed the barrel and need to replace it. So i was thinking why not upgrade to a heavy barrel right. Does anyone know where i can get a replacement barrel, or just a heavier barrel? It would be great if i could get just a straight replacement to stick on. The less smithing the better as im all thumbs in that dept I did meet a guy that does some great work but I really need to save money on this project.

Thank you for your time.
Old October 28, 2007, 10:39 PM   #2
accordingtome

anyone?
Old October 28, 2007, 11:26 PM   #3
DnPRK

I would contact Legacy Sports, the importer of Howas, and ask them how much it costs to replace a barrel.

A barrel swap isn't something you do with a bench vise and pipe wrench. It takes a specialized barrel vise, specialized receiver wrench (yes, you can twist a receiver until it breaks if you don't know what you are doing) chamber gages and reamers. None of that tooling is cheap.

Another option is to send it to a place like ER Shaw, a medium-priced barrel maker and let them install it.
Old October 29, 2007, 12:36 PM   #4
accordingtome

ya I think im going to do that. thanks
Old October 29, 2007, 11:13 PM   #5
accordingtome

I called Legacy Sports and asked for a replacement barrel and he said he could not help me. He gave me a number to call to their new importer. So i called them and they told me that they import the barreled actions complete and do not sell just the barrels. I really don't want to spend more than $200-$250 on a new barrel. so whats my next move??
Old October 30, 2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

bbl

Sir:
I know of no one but Douglas bbls, in Charleston WVA who will do a better job or have a better barrel! Get ahold of Fred Depoy there.
Harry B.
Old October 30, 2007, 08:25 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...sorta destroyed the barrel..." How?
"...don't want to spend more than $200-$250..." Go to Douglas. Your budget is a bit light though. $250 will buy a Douglas barrel. $200 will not.
Done this yet? http://www.regcen.com/howa/
Old October 31, 2007, 09:12 AM   #8
accordingtome

I got a patch stuck in the middle of the barrel. I could not get it out for two months. When i finally got around to having a smith take it out there was a pretty big pit rusted in the middle. It still shoots o.k. but you can tell the shots are a little off
Old October 31, 2007, 11:38 AM   #9
Harry Bonar

pit

Sir:
If this is a real nice, favorite rifle of yours I'd go ahead and have Douglas fit your rifle with a fine Douglas bbl. The std. bbl they offer is "air guaged" several times during manufacture. They do a very good "old time blue-eyed West Virginia honest job" and you'll be pleased - I get nothing for this just your benefit.
Adams and Bennet bbls. are good also from Midway usa.
Douglas will test your action and fit and stamp your bbl. nicely - they are pros!
Harry B.
Old November 1, 2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Eghad

for $50 extra they will duplicate your barrel.

NRA Life Member
Old November 2, 2007, 04:20 AM   #11
tINY

Howa used to peen the barrels in place. So they are a little hard to get off.

If I remember right, a barreled action is not much more than you'll end up paying to have a decent barrel put on. Remember that after you buy the barrel, it's still gonna cost you to have somebody do the work.

At $405, the barreled action isn't much more than you'd spend to have a new barrel installed on your old action. You already have a stock that will fit.

Or just shoot the thing - you say it shoots OK.... After a few hundred rounds, it'll be just fine (copper will fill the pit).

-tINY